Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Wonderful!

But we cannot rest on our laurels too long. The next item on the list is the truck repairs and I think we need to get a firm estimate on that and then look at how to fund them, including maybe even putting Riley and her son up in a hotel for the time it will take to get the repairs done.

Posted at

I'd recommend focusing on a place to stay first, the truck repairs can wait. J Riley has managed good employment using the local bus service, I think a safe place to live is a higher priority than a functional truck. And with a permanent address, perks like food stamps and checking accounts come into play, which will help her a lot. Once life is stable for her, then we can focus on the truck repairs.

Also, folks shouldn't keep waiting around for some formal fundraising drive to donate. Just donate to her Patreon if you want to help her in the short term.

refalgren
refalgren
Posted at

Does Riley have a computer of her own, or does she use a libraries? Perhaps we can also get her a cellular wifi hotspot if she does. That way she can stay in touch more often.

Posted at

Riley has her own laptop, but she has to make use of the library's wifi, which is why it takes her so long to get anything out or to answer emails. Hopefully now with Feloni having sent Riley the money she needs to pay off the truck principle once and for all, she can maybe have a bit more freed up cash to buy a cup of tea and use the wifi at a cafe or coffee shop like Starbucks for additional wifi time.

Hipstor
Hipstor
Posted at

WiFi range is 100m. I can sit across the street and use a store's WiFi. Weather permitting of course. The cold alone can cut your battery life. Forget sitting in the rain/snow. Hazards for body and machine. My point is, you don't have to actually buy anything to use most stores WiFi. If the truck is working again, use WiFi from the parking lot.

I agree with felonimayhem, shelter and the address that comes with it will help more. Riley and her son shared a truck bed for months. A studio apt will seem huge by comparison. 2 bedroom would be nice, but baby steps first. It's just a rental, not her forever home. As her life stabilizes she can move up in housing.

Hipstor
Hipstor
Posted at

Wow, I was looking up public assistance programs in Idaho. http://healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/FoodCashAssistance/ApplyforAssistance/Applyforservices/Whoiseligible/tabid/1556/Default.aspx And the income limit for Temporary Assistance for Families in Idaho (TAFI) program is only $309/month for a household of 2. Riley is getting twice that much from Patreon now. (Go Riley!) Just how underfunded is the TAFI program?

I forget, how old did Riley say her son was? If he is under 19 they could get assistance in paying for health coverage. ($2,504/month max income) Above 19 she makes too much. ($289/month income is the Max?!!? jeez. Obama care insurance for just me is > $400/month. That's a big gap to fall into.)

The income limit for the food stamp program is a reasonable $1,736/month. But you "must work or participate in an employment and training program". If she could find work, she wouldn't need the food stamps! Gah!

And here I thought Arizona public assistance was bad. OnO

Posted at

I don't know how old her son is exactly, but he is apparently old enough to drive the truck and go to work on his own.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.