Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
L.C.Stein
L.C.Stein
Posted at

Haha, you're right, your stuff would very likely get reported on mainstream social media, but there is a market for it. I actually like strange and surreal stuff and I think you do a good job in that arena.

I see you are publishing on Newgrounds…I have not seen that place since the early 2000's, I did not even know it was still around! I used to love their various flash games and comics back in the day.

Hopefully with time I can get more involved in stuff here, but I may have missed out on some deadlines since I just joined. Maybe next time around.

Posted at

lcstein wrote:
Haha, you're right, your stuff would very likely get reported on mainstream social media, but there is a market for it. I actually like strange and surreal stuff and I think you do a good job in that arena.

I see you are publishing on Newgrounds…I have not seen that place since the early 2000's, I did not even know it was still around! I used to love their various flash games and comics back in the day.

Hopefully with time I can get more involved in stuff here, but I may have missed out on some deadlines since I just joined. Maybe next time around.

He he, yeah, strange and surreal definitely feels like it's up my alley. I can't wait to get my anthology comic started soon, cuz that's the one that sort of binds all of my comics together into one wholistic comic universe.

It's most definitely strange and surreal stories we're talking about, a combination of fantasy, sci fi and horror, with both comedy and drama elements, and it is also meant to be sort of an expansion upon what you see in Idfestation, namely the Idlings who are actually only one branch of a much more expansive and diverse specie called "Imsies".

Basically they're the magical folklore creatures of short stature in the Helixfinger comic universe, just like what the Idlings themselves are in Idfestation.

Newgrounds is another site that I find absolutely awesome. It may not be as big of a deal as it used to be, kind of like the Duck, but its still awesome and still going strong in my opinion. Got a collection of all these classic and new flashgames and animations there. Chutney Glaze and Interface are two very original animation series over there I can heartwarmely recommend, as well as this brand new stop motion animation series called Mechanic Artwork, which takes place in this really strange and scary looking steampunk-esque kind of setting, episode 2 coming out in 2021.

Not sure if its the best setup for my comics, but at least someone seems to like reading mine over there. As for community stuff here on the Duck there's always something that comes up. One thing is Inktober which is taking place this month, here's a link to the forum thread for that if you're interested in having fun drawing and posting something on the side, I know I'm considering doing it👍

https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/178524/?page=1#3002633

Also I think they might announce for another Secret Santa event this year, which ocurres near christmas times. I participated in that last year. That's how I got this gorgously drawn fanart page made by the insanely talented Duck Webcomic creator Fallopiancrusader for Molly Lusc, that I've uploaded and showcased in that comic, as the event is about drawing fanart of each others comics, those who participate.

Just keep your eyes open and you're bound to stumble upon something fun to do with the community👍

L.C.Stein
L.C.Stein
Posted at

Thank you for the suggestions! I think it's cool you have your own "universe" from which you can draw your work. (I do world-building mostly in my head LOL.) Your creatures remind me of the Cenobites from Hellraiser.

I have been doing some "Comictober" challenges over on Instagram. I always thought "Inktober" meant actual traditional art - I do most of my stuff digitally these days since it's quicker

Posted at

lcstein wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions! I think it's cool you have your own "universe" from which you can draw your work. (I do world-building mostly in my head LOL.) Your creatures remind me of the Cenobites from Hellraiser.

I have been doing some "Comictober" challenges over on Instagram. I always thought "Inktober" meant actual traditional art - I do most of my stuff digitally these days since it's quicker

He! I never thought of them that way^^ But they indeed "have some sights to show" those unlucky bug exterminators"^^ You actually raised a good question there about Inktober and I posted asking about that on the Inktober forum thread just now. It's been a while since I drew traditional ink pen and paper, but I think I still have it in the wrists.

I started Molly Lusc drawing with pencils, ink pens and touchpens. Then I switched out touchpens for these expensive color pens I bought on Amazon and then back to touchpens again, except only in grey and brown tones, using a scanner to get it texted and framed on Inkscape and then uploaded here. And then, only like 8 months ago I bought my very first digital drawing tablet that I've used ever since.

I was actually against digital drawing at first, sticking to what I was comfortable doing at the time, and I thought I would never be able to use it effectively, but after I drew my second page in digital I got a good taste for it and now I'm used to it. Indeed it gets things done faster and is more convenient all around. Altough I wouldn't mind doing it traditionally for Inktober.

L.C.Stein
L.C.Stein
Posted at

Yes, it was hard for me to make the transition too, but once you get used to it, it's really the way to go (especially since art supplies can get messy over time). The earliest scenes of what is now my current comic were done in a sketchbook and inked with Sharpie. I wish I could find the drawings, they may have been tossed during one of my many purgings over the years. I managed to upload one to Deviant art ages ago LOL

My earliest forays into digital art were doing those "oekaki" boards in the early 2000's. That was when I realized I needed a tablet because a mouse does not cut it. I used to draw over at Oekaki Central, which I don't think exists anymore.

I actually use my laptop as my tablet.

Posted at

lcstein wrote:
Yes, it was hard for me to make the transition too, but once you get used to it, it's really the way to go (especially since art supplies can get messy over time). The earliest scenes of what is now my current comic were done in a sketchbook and inked with Sharpie. I wish I could find the drawings, they may have been tossed during one of my many purgings over the years. I managed to upload one to Deviant art ages ago LOL

My earliest forays into digital art were doing those "oekaki" boards in the early 2000's. That was when I realized I needed a tablet because a mouse does not cut it. I used to draw over at Oekaki Central, which I don't think exists anymore.

I actually use my laptop as my tablet.

Reminds me how my first digital drawing was an anthropomorphic fox I drew on MS Paint some billion years ago^^ By the way, I'm on this week's quackcast, the 500 celebration, in case you're curious to hear how me and several other Webcomic creators here on DD sound talking to one another in a Google Meeting^^

Posted at

lcstein wrote:
I saw the post about it, but it looks like it is very early in the morning? I am on the East Coast of the U.S.

Oh, the podcast/Quackcast has already been uploaded on the community blog. You can listen to it anytime you like👍 The site's admin Ozoneocean upload one of these wonderful little podcasts on the blog once every week on tuesdays. I had a fun time being on the one that was uploaded yesterday, recorded last saturday, which was a very special occasion. First time I've ever been on a podcast period.

Anyway, I'm running out of things to type and I got things to do. It's been a very pleasant back and forth with you on this thread, lcstein^^ I'm looking forward to you're upcoming updates on your comic and we might have another one of these long back and forths another time. You can always reach me via Personal Quack (PQ), the Duck's own little E-mail system, if you wanna get in touch with me about something👍 Hope you'll enjoy your time here👍

Posted at

Christ! I just realized now that I've just gone through a second coming full circle realization these past few months. Yup! I've been doing it again. Trying to go big and impressive writing on Bloodiator and Cold Cusp, two webcomics I deleted like a week ago. I'm still gonna use those story ideas, but as one-shots in Imsies the Imthology instead, not as comics of their own.

So I guess my scribbling with that bore some fruit to it, but really, I thought I'd learn my lesson only to discover that; no I didn't, not quite yet:P Guess I can finally put this to a close for real this time. No more meandering around with things that are out of my league. No more trying to be high-brow. I have my comics, I have my little universe,

I have my creative voice which is singing "weirdness for weirdness sake", and I'm sticking to it this time (Picture Helixfinger walking out the door trying to look real assertive and decisive, and then slip on a banana peel and fall down the hill like a cartoon character^^).

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.