Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

Do you think that cute can be used as an insult?
I keep feeling like the word is negative.
I feel like saying something is cute implies that it has no depth.
I know it is usually meant s a compliment, and I realize that, but am I the only one who thinks of 'cute' as just as often negative?

Edit:
This is a question of your connotation, not denotation.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I've never really heard cute being used negatively, but I can see how that would work.
I know that once I reached my teens I started getting annoyed when people called me cute, even though they do mean it as a compliment.

Arashi_san
Arashi_san
Posted at

"Cute" can be used as a compliment, or can be used as an apathetic euphimism to denote simplicity or, as you said, being shallow.

The context and the tone in which it is said often implies the meaning behind it.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

The context and the tone in which it is said often implies the meaning behind it.
Yeah, but when you hear the word on its own (out of context) do you normaly think positive or negative?

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

You guys are SO cute. ^_^

THANK YOU!
(above also answers Bocaj's question)

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

You guys are SO cute. ^_^
Why thank you *bushes*
You're not too shabby yourself!

Arashi_san
Arashi_san
Posted at

Yeah, but when you hear the word on its own (out of context) do you normaly think positive or negative?
Then it would depend on the tone. Usually, though, alone I would think that it was negative.

Cute. -
Cute! +

claus
claus
Posted at

'Cute' can be caustic if used sarcastically. Lots of movie villains use it.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Cute -_-

Posted at

I never really heard "Cute" used as something strictly NEGATIVE…

The closest to that is what you guys already said, as in sarcasm. Other than that, "cute" doesn't sound negative at all…

Not to me, anyway… Well, what can I know, english is not my born language and, anyway, one of my comics has "CUTE" written all over it. :-P

Posted at

A lot of times 'cute' is what people call something when they can't think of a better compliment.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

When villains use it, it's not so much sarcasm as it is used to describe things that the "hero" doesn't want to be cute. You know, like "That gun is cute." Or "It's so cute how you broke in here to rescue your girlfriend." Or it can be a creepy thing (villain compliments have a tendency to be creepy), like "Oh, you're cute. I think I'll keep you for a pet."

Aside from that, yes, it can be derogatory under certain circumstances. Like if someone tries to make a contribution to some deep, serious discussion and instead of being acknowledged for their insights, they are dismissed "Isn't she cute?" But that could really apply to any "compliments" of appearance when the matter at hand relates to the mind. – Basically, any time someone is trying to be in depth, serious, or mean business (as in the hero facing off with a villain), that's when "cute" is not appreciated. No one wants to be called cute if their goal is to be fierce.

Posted at

I agree, it really depends on what it's used for. It doesn't even have to be directly meant as an insult to be annoying. I think in a lot of situations it can be implied as "I'm not taking this seriously". But, y'know, if you MEANT it to be cute in the first place, well… then I guess you hit your mark. All in the context, really.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Aside from that, yes, it can be derogatory under certain circumstances. Like if someone tries to make a contribution to some deep, serious discussion and instead of being acknowledged for their insights, they are dismissed "Isn't she cute?"
I don't know how you women can stand it.
If I were a woman, and I had a BF who would say that to me, I'd plot to dump him in the most public and humiliating way possible.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

cute is a compliment.

Posted at

Well that's not actually sarcasm, it's what they really mean. Like "Aw, da wittle hero gonna save the day, that's so cute." like as in it's adorable that they think they can.

That always makes it funny when the teeth get kicked in.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

If your a jerk, and have a rod up your butt, then I wouldn't trust what you say is "cute". @_@

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

It's always positive with me, but I see how it can be negative.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

The only way cute can be an insult if its directed by a woman to a man in reference to his sword.

lol!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

let's steer the conversation away from those places please.

"Cute" can be insulting if directed towards a serious piece of artwork, comic, writing, whatever.

It's context, as people say.

I wonder; If you went around commenting "cute" on people's comics, how much of that would get reported? Enough to give you a temporary ban I'll bet ;)

lba
lba
Posted at

I have yet to report anyone for it. But the cuteness of the characters was an intentional move on my part so in the context I can't call it a bad thing. Although it does occasionally lead me to wonder about the mental health of some of my readers.

I can't really say anything new about the words connotations really since to my mind it implies neither a negative or positive tone in and of itself.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

Usually when someone calls my comic cute, it is positive.

Mirre
Mirre
Posted at

I usually adds ze three dots when I say "cute" in a negative way.

cute…

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I think most compliments can be seen as negative depending on the situation and tone. Another good example is "nice". It's such a non-commital word. Very much like cute. If someone asks how something was, and you just say "nice", that has a pretty uncaring tone. Like it was good, but not good enough to care.

Anyway, no, cute isn't inherently bad, but it lends itself to negative connotations more easily than other adjectives.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.