Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

Perhaps some kind american reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are american?

I often work in Hastings st in Noosa (the best beach and national park in the world for those that don't know it) and you can hear americans from many miles away.

Posted at

we have gone deaf from the air trip (pressure changes) and are shouting because we don't know we are shouting.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

They're excited to be there? :)

Us Aussies can make fools of ourselves too :(

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

Perhaps some kind american reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite
…..no comment.

but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are american?
I have never heard of that happening before…are they really trying to shove their accents down your throat or are they just generally obnoxious people? If they are in fact, trying to show off that they're American, then apparently they think they're impressing someone…..for some reason, and are quite pompous. Whatever reason, I'd say they are still probably just obnoxious people.

Or maybe it sounds like they're shouting but aren't, I don't know what we sound like to people from other countries. I never understand what people with British accents are saying half the time.

liz
liz
Posted at

To you it may be weird hearing Americans shout their accents, but in America it would be considered perfectly normal here, I suppose.

I assure you, not all Americans are obnoxious, only the ones that are rich enough to travel. lol!

Nergal
Nergal
Posted at

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? SHOUTING? WE NEVER SHOUT.

Posted at

we hate everyone and will bust a cap in your ass. yeeaaa boiiiiii

Posted at

Tourists. 'Nuff said. American, British, French, German, it doesn't matter where you're from it only matters what you're doing. And if you're visiting a country on vacation, then you're going to miraculously turn into the world's most obnoxious person. Trust me on this; I've yet to see a quiet tourist.

marine
marine
Posted at

As an American, I will be honest and tell you that I yell everywhere I go. I often assume most every character in my comics are yelling at each other. We're just so angry here.

I also support American culture!

Posted at

There are plenty of nice quiet polite americans visiting other countries. You just don't notice them, because they're not making assholes out of themselves.

You can't help but notice the loud obnoxious americans.

Also when in countries that speak another language theres something in our brains that makes us think if we talk slower in more loudly then they'll be able to understand english. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either, but I've fallen victem to it.

marine
marine
Posted at

Marine, that was just…scary.

Thanks. :)

It was a parody of my post in the Australian thread. Even going so far as to post something that isn't American, but stupid people say its American. I think the most hilarious one is either Paris Hilton crying or the Chris Benoit holding up a championship belt. I just typed in "emo music group" and found that band. I have no clue who those guys even are. And who doesn't love the death of superman?

Posted at

When you drink, the first thing that goes is the hearing.
Or it is the Mad Cow from tainted McDonalds Beef.

Posted at

I guess they've just finally figured out that everyone here in Europe is deaf. It's probably best if we stop pretending otherwise now.

Posted at

Actually, I've met a quite a few tourists who weren't loud and/or obnoxious. Like kingofsnake said, you only notice the annoying ones.

I guess they've just finally figured out that everyone here in Europe is deaf. It's probably best if we stop pretending otherwise now.

Don't bloody tell them.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

Depends on where your going. I'll be going to Japan next year, so I don't think I need to be shouting around that I'm an American there. @_@

Coveinant
Coveinant
Posted at

Hell if I know. I'm American but the main reason, I think, is because they are so insecure about themselves that they have to have something to make them feel supereour. That's just what I think.

Posted at

Perhaps some kind Australian reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Australian are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are Australian?

heh-heh . . . I recall about twenty years ago when a gaggle of Australians entered a condominium complex where I was working and they talked at the top of their lungs in a boisterous way. Of course they were sloshed to the gills. Of course they had good reason so to be in this case. This was just after the Australians won the first America's cup challenge [sailboating] and got to remove the cup that had been sitting somewhere in Boston for about a century, because no one but US of A boaters ever won the darn thing up 'til then. So they had good reason to be drunk and rowdy, but they were:

1] Australian

2] Exceedingly loud

3] Depending on one's frame of mind, somewhat rude

4] Very, Very Very drunk

5] Tourists

Purely coincidence I am sure. Actually, I rather liked them, but then I am a Texan.

giadrosich
giadrosich
Posted at

Most Americans probably shout because they figure they own everything already and feel quite at home whereever they are!

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

Perhaps some kind Australian reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Australian are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are Australian?

heh-heh . . . I recall about twenty years ago when a gaggle of Australians entered a condominium complex where I was working and they talked at the top of their lungs in a boisterous way. Of course they were sloshed to the gills. Of course they had good reason so to be in this case. This was just after the Australians won the first America's cup challenge [sailboating] and got to remove the cup that had been sitting somewhere in Boston for about a century, because no one but US of A boaters ever won the darn thing up 'til then. So they had good reason to be drunk and rowdy, but they were:

1] Australian

2] Exceedingly loud

3] Depending on one's frame of mind, somewhat rude

4] Very, Very Very drunk

5] Tourists

Purely coincidence I am sure. Actually, I rather liked them, but then I am a Texan.

Yeah, but that was twenty years ago. And anyway, it's a reaction to the wide spread poisonous liquid Americans seem to think is beer.

Here are my thoughts. Americans are told in media that they are the greatest country in the world, even though they're at #12 of the countries you can live in (And Australia is #3. Woo! Check the list if you don't believe me) and also see, in some movies, where Americans are treated like royalty because of where they come from. Yes, this is true in some places, as America is seen as a very rich country, but not always. And finally, there are some old movies where Americans manage to fix a foreign country with American values or ways of government. With these factors in place, some Americans believe that all they need to have the best trip, they need to announce their citizenship and then just wait to be waited on hand and foot. Or, complain about how everything is different and then expect it will be changed for them.

Now, not to say that the United States is not the only country with people who do this, nor are all Americans like this. I know European backpackers can criticise other countries as well and Japanese can criticise when they see some one reading manga. But it's really all about a mind set. It's basically the same as people who believe in stereotypes.

Anyway, that's just what I think

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Every country is the greatest on the world… At least to the people in that country.

heh, on holiday people have fun. A good tip for tourists anywhere though is to try and blend it a little… The ones that I've seen touring the sites all dressed up like they're going on an African jungle safari here have a little something to learn. That get-up is only appropriate for camping in the bush or impersonation Steve Irwin.

Europeans are bad for that sort of thing. Whereas Japanese tend to dress up far too expensively, whatever they do here. Americans tend to blend in fine as far as clothes go, even US sailors are better these days; once upon a time out of uniform they either wore their very best cutting edge stuff, or big belt buckle, cowboy boots and a great big cowboy hat. -That's an unusual sight in itself but even stranger on a big, pudgy, pasty faced bald guy… which they always were. lol!

It's quite amusing to think about this aspect of tourism. :)

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I'm sure there are quiet American tourists, just as there are UK tourists (like me!) who aren't either loud-mouthed, belligerent football hooligans or obnoxious ladettes on a hen-night.

But they're not the ones you notice, are they?

On the flip side of that…

why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite
Guess what. We have plenty of loud obnoxious Americans in our own country too. (Go to a college town some weekend and hang out anywhere that serves alcohol.) But we don't say "Geez, listen to those loud Americans with their obnoxious American accents."

Posted at

Yes, this is true in some places, as America is seen as a very rich country, but not always. And finally, there are some old movies where Americans manage to fix a foreign country with American values or ways of government. With these factors in place, some Americans believe that all they need to have the best trip, they need to announce their citizenship and then just wait to be waited on hand and foot. Or, complain about how everything is different and then expect it will be changed for them.

Please tell me what movies you're watching, because if you haven't noticed, the dollar is falling fast compared to the Euro, and right now my tiny little state is getting more tourists from Europe and Britain then ever before. Heck, we've even gotten some Australians. And they all stick out like a sore thumb as they rush through the shopping malls purchasing whatever they please.

I think your ideas about Americans come from the 1950s or something.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.