Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Do you think Humanity is ready to leave Earth and colonize other worlds (and outer space in general)?

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Maybe when our space shuttles stop exploding in mid descent/ascent.

Maybe when NASA will stop sitting in their mission control chairs and really pay attention to safety issues. That piece hitting the wing of the space shuttle should've been a RED FLAG, as well as the warnings they recieved about the O-Rings being frozen. Then they wouldn't have let those flights go…

I bet those health problems will go away when we finally invent the "grav plate".

Posted at

Those space shuttles are way overdue to be retired, anyways.

The age of shuttles are behind us. They wont be making a suitable replacements for those, any time soon. It's back to the basics, sitting on top of a rocket to get into orbit.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

I'm more worried about the lag I'd get if I'm playing against those on the other planets. Sheesh, I can't get the headshots with poor latency.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I love it when it says you've got a headshot about a minute after you've made the actual shot.

One of the reasons why a nuclear powered spaceship hasn't been constructed is because people are petrified of the idea of having it crashing during a failed space launch or re-entry, spreading fallout everywhere.
I'm pretty sure there've been one or two satellites with some form of nuclear fuel.

it's ok in small amounts anyway. You could sed small parts up a bit a a time on lots of launches, adding it to their normal payloads. Then assemble it all in high orbit. That way if there's a launch disaster, that small amount of material will easily burn up and not be too much of a problem if it doesn't. :)

Nuclear power provides a lot of power for the mass and it lasts a long time. You don't have the issues with disposal either in space. If something goes wrong you're buggered whatever your fuel source is anyway.

gullas
gullas
Posted at

IMO, somwhere between 2000-2.000.000 years, would be a good time to ditch this place ^_^'

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

IMO, somwhere between 2000-2.000.000 years, would be a good time to ditch this place ^_^'

The sooner the better. 2 billion years down the line or so Earth's fires will die and the planet will end up like Mars… cold, barren, and lifeless.

Posted at

It's possible that in 2 billion years we evolution or die. i prefer first choice.

Posted at

I don't believe man is ready, but the Earth is really getting sick of us.

qqq
qqq
Posted at

Yes, we have most of the tech needed to do this.
We don't, read less science fiction.

We can do fantastic things with our sciences.
No, we think that in advance, usually along the road more problems surface than we thought and nature turns out to be more complex than our models had hoped. Once promised things like mapping the human genome or the ISS are still not done and way over time.

We have plans for inflatable moonbases, geodesic martian cities, and there's even a floating venusian city in the concept stage. We can probably tow in asteroids and create living spaces in them. However…
We have plans for that? Are you sure? Note that a desire does not mean a plan, a plan means you can convince a funder that said should give you the money because the funder is convinced it'll work from your technical specs.

Humanity still isn't ready. I don't think we're "mature" enough to go out into space without really messing things up. We're still fighting wars over religion, two bit dictators and other such governments keep people under their heel/thumb, and… well… there's all that space junk we left up in the atmosphere that we haven't tried to clean up yet.
Who would want to colonize space any way? It's a suck place to be, your bone erodes away, you have to conserve energy, no parks, nothing.

Assume the earth gets to full and half has to go to another planet. I'd rather be in the half that stays here, and I guess a lot of people share my like for comfort, so you're more deporting people away, and probably people that don't have a lot of money. So it's slavery all over again.

What do you think of all this?
Oh.. and if this thread doesn't belong here, please move it. :)
Counter question: Do you for instance know that in places with no atmosphaere (like space), energy generation isn't half as big a problem as energy dissipation. Getting your space station warm is all too easy, getting it cold is the major problem. Thermodynamics works in real life, not in science fiction.

Posted at

We can do fantastic things with our sciences.
No, we think that in advance, usually along the road more problems surface than we thought and nature turns out to be more complex than our models had hoped. Once promised things like mapping the human genome or the ISS are still not done and way over time.
Don't forget the Biodome projects. Too bad too, the idea of having a livable atmosphere in a self-contained space is cool, only they couldn't be made to be self contained. Today the idea is generally dismissed as impractical, though it might have provided a viable model for space installments had it worked.

We have plans for inflatable moonbases, geodesic martian cities, and there's even a floating venusian city in the concept stage. We can probably tow in asteroids and create living spaces in them. However…
We have plans for that? Are you sure? Note that a desire does not mean a plan, a plan means you can convince a funder that said should give you the money because the funder is convinced it'll work from your technical specs.

"Plans" can also mean that you have a design that works in simulation, which we actually do have. NASA has been planning temporary installations for places like the moon and Mars for years. The plan to actually implement some of these ideas keeps getting promised, then cancelled, then brought up again etc. The short of it is that I don't think I'll actually see it in my lifetime.

edit: Crap! I broke the quote!

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Inflatable habitats are in the works, but for the moon. Well… that's what The History Channel's "The Universe" showed anyway. I'd say it's ideal for the moon because there's no weather there. On Mars we'd need something like the biodome. The show mentions that the reason why the biodome experiment went awry was because a lot of the oxygen that was supposed to be produced by the plants was being sucked up by the concrete that made up the structure. The result was an oxygen level inside the place equal to the amount you'd find near the tops of very tall mountains (like Everest). Eventually fresh oxygen had to be pumped in from the outside.

Personally I think the reason was something like cabin fever, but only in a larger building..

Posted at

Once promised things like mapping the human genome or the ISS are still not done and way over time.
Uhmm. The genome project is long done and it was done pretty much on time.

And the ISS project was delayed because there was a lack of funding and also because the space shuttles, which were a crucial part of the project were grounded for years after the Columbia disaster.

The reasons behind the difficulty of building that space station is due to the giant hurdle that space explorers have to deal with, every single time they send up a rocket. Overcoming the massive barrier that is the Earths gravitational pull. Most of the mass sent up into orbit actually consist of nothing but fuel that is need to get the intended payload up there.
If more efficient methods could be developed, space exploration would increase tenfold, if not hundred fold. Also, the moment corporations can afford creating lucrative projects in outer space, we'd see allot more space exploration.
Who would want to colonize space any way? It's a suck place to be, your bone erodes away, you have to conserve energy, no parks, nothing.

Assume the earth gets to full and half has to go to another planet. I'd rather be in the half that stays here, and I guess a lot of people share my like for comfort, so you're more deporting people away, and probably people that don't have a lot of money. So it's slavery all over again.
I actually believe that many would want to become space explorers given the opportunity. There's always a certain percentage of people who dream of exploring and become restless whenever they stay in one place for long. These are what made the explorers of the past and will make the explorers of the future.

However, I am a believer of repetitive history and I can easily see prisoners being sent to work on terraforming project in the far future.

mishi_hime
mishi_hime
Posted at

Humanity still isn't ready. I don't think we're "mature" enough to go out into space without really messing things up.

Just follow the prime directive and everything will be okay. >:)

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Humanity still isn't ready. I don't think we're "mature" enough to go out into space without really messing things up.

Just follow the prime directive and everything will be okay. >:)

A furture ruled by old men.

ProfessorF
ProfessorF
Posted at

there's all that space junk we left up in the atmosphere that we haven't tried to clean up yet.

I was just reading an article today about the cocoon of space junk around the planet… http://www.newsweek.com/id/209955

Looks like we won't be able to leave Earth soon!

Posted at

http://www.newsweek.com/id/209955
Red the article and came across this:
The Soviet Union may have been the most egregious polluter. In the 1970s and '80s, it launched 32 radar satellites, designed to track the positions of U.S. Navy ships, each powered by its own nuclear reactor.
Yikes!

Guess Oz was right.

… leave it to the Russians…

Posted at

You guys are so absorbed in speculation that you're forgetting the first thing we should ask ourselves: why the hell would we want humans in outer space in the first place?

To spread our wonderful attributes like war, teen pregnancy, genocide, fake dog shit, Dr Phils and whatnot?

I can just see the space people eager to have us out there. No thanks, keep the disease contained dont you think?

Posted at

It's my live long goal to spread the words of Dr.Phil to the universe.

Every Spungtunian shall know of him. Every Glaxatian shall become a follower of his show.

Dr. Phil for president in 2012.

Because he's just that evil.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

there was a lack of funding and also because the space shuttles, which were a crucial part of the project were grounded for years after the Columbia disaster.

also the fact taht there's only one left.

commercial exploration is, and has always been the only way.

Posted at

people from MIT, NASA, and a few real artists. i would say iabout 2% of humanity.

most humans are selfish, douchy, and dumb. they watch too much MTV, E! television, and reality TV.

some are totally evil and corrupt.

maybe i should make a list that could go on a new planet and tthen leave all the rednecks here on the rotting earth- with all the earthquakes, and comets coming its way and 2010 mayan calendar annahilation.

on my list will be:

lance armstrong
bill clinton
the whole rage against the machine
bill gates
quentin tarantino (but if he makes another "grindhouse", he's fucking out)
dave grohl
tim burton
brad pitt
johnny knoxville, chris pontius, steve-o, weeman (prettymuch the whole jackass crew except for bam margera)
Phil and april margera
jason ellis
shaun white
vin diesel
a young robert de niro
deepak chopra
the dalai lama

ill continue the list later. maybe u should tell me why i should include u in my list

Posted at

2012 mayan calendar annahilation.
Fixed.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

commercial exploration is, and has always been the only way.
WTF? lol!
In space? It hasn't yet… Even "tourism" there is unviable.

The whole logic behind "commercial" exploration doesn't work in space yet. That logic is:
-Find something somewhere else that's cheaper and easier to get there than it is here (or unavailable here). Nothing off of the earth anywhere near us fits into that category. Even solid lumps of platinum, gold, and diamonds on the moon wouldn't be worth it. It's logic that only works ON the earth right now.

-So, if commercial exploration is the only way, we'll never, ever get into space.
The fact is "commercial exploration" would only be a factor if you already had the infrastructure and industry UP there and you needed mining in the solar system to support it. THEN it would be viable because it'd be the cheapest and easiest way to get the materials needed- especially compared to launching them from Earth. But you need someone to pay to get the industry and infrastructure started first and lose money on it. Only governments can do that.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

while there may be nothing on the moon, the reward is here (on earth)

also Virgin Galactic.

fine, government contracting of commercial buisnesses.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Fine, government contracting of commercial buisnesses.
That will alys be the biggest factor :)

Google paying 25 mil… Unfortunately that cash is more like a little gold star or a sticker that says "well done", much like the "X" prize that Spacehip One won, that became Virgin Galatic, that still hasn't taken any tourists up yet… The 25 million wouldn't go anywhere near to defraying any of the R&D costs for such a feat, let alone the operational costs :(
You work in atmospheric aerospace yourself, you must know how much those babies cost.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Google paying 25 mil… Unfortunately that cash is more like a little gold star or a sticker that says "well done", much like the "X" prize that Spacehip One won, that became Virgin Galatic, that still hasn't taken any tourists up yet… The 25 million wouldn't go anywhere near to defraying any of the R&D costs for such a feat, let alone the operational costs :(
You work in atmospheric aerospace yourself, you must know how much those babies cost.

well then think about the fact that if you have a map of the moon, you have THE map of the moon. in today's buisness world, you copyright that, lease it to the government, loan it out to a buddy, you're in buisness. you were obviously already in buisness, but i'm sure the phrase translates…and look at this, with my plan the elusive 3rd step is finally revealed.

1. build a rocket
2. map the moon
3. copyright that fucking map
4. profit

heck, put a little flag stamper machine on the moon, and you could have a little boomer rush on your hands….well, boomers may not be the right words, since the moon isn't "public" property. yet.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.