Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Does the way a person act in the forum make you not want to read their comics?

Rori
Rori
Posted at

I know how to distinguish art from artist.

I don't think it's about that (maybe for some).

EDIT: Remember, even if you think an artist can be completely divorced from their art (which I don't), it's still their product, no matter, and they still benefit (even if only slightly) from your patronage.

Posted at

I think the short answer is yes. If someone represents their sense of humor a certain way in the forums, then I'll either glimpse the comic to see if it reflects that, or just avoid talking with them. Typically, if someone is an asshole directly to me, I'm not going to return that favor by reading their comic, unless it's a REALLY GOOD COMIC.

But for the most part, you have to be a pretty blatant asshole. Sometimes in those cases, I'll even check out the comic to see if the person has a comic that makes 'em think they're so hot. :3 Most often, that's not the case, I've found. At least to me.

I think your public conduct DOES affect your career. Tom Cruise acted crazy everywhere, and now I don't know anyone who takes him seriously. Same for Michael Jackson. Then, look at the people who carry themselves with grace and civility in the public eye (They can STILL be reamed for stupid reasons, but regardless…).

FanGurlZ
FanGurlZ
Posted at

I'm not sure what to say. If I enjoyed a artist comic before seeing his comments on forums I probably would stick to reading is comic. As long as he kept his comments away from his web comic. But usually I read a person comic if they:

1. Have a interesting and colorful banner.
2. Posted something funny/random/intelligent in the forums
3. Is very active on DD

joe_vee
joe_vee
Posted at

Yar it does affect me, but so far I have only encountered one meanie on here so it hasn't made much of a difference.

worstcase
worstcase
Posted at

It affects me a ton. If the person is a total asshole then i will refuse to read their comic. Its only a problem if i liked their comic, and then i see them acting up on the forums and Im just like…great. I guess there are a few exceptions, but Its true in most cases

Posted at

Well, mechanical_lullaby…I wasn't here for the "old DD" and I "don't know nothin' 'bout no April Fools"…But, I am totally guilty of allowing someone's behavior in forums influence whether or not I give them the time of internet.

I know it's silly and childish; but, my memory is long and I tend to simply treat those I have deemed to be snotrags as if they didn't exist. There are so many friendly, intelligent folks here—whose comics I get to read on such rare occassion as it is…why waste time givin' comments (which makes one feel so warm in the tum) to weiners? I don't.

TnTComic
TnTComic
Posted at

I think your public conduct DOES affect your career. Tom Cruise acted crazy everywhere, and now I don't know anyone who takes him seriously.

He… what? Aside from the Oprah thing, he's got a funny religion?

I like Cruise, and I think people just want to tear him down. Before the scientology thing there was the gay rumor thing, blah blah blah. I think he's good in everything he does.

Besides, look at Robert Downey Jr. He actually has real problems and nobody cares. I love the dude. A good example of falling off the map from crazy is Tom Sizemore, in the acting world.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

As soon as you start being more active in a forum (as in, you put your opinions out more and more), you'll begin to offend somebody. It doesn't matter if you really don't mean anything bad.. eventually something you say will offend somebody.

It's impossible to please everyone, other than just lurk and never say anything you really feel. Same as only giving 5's and never saying anything besides "Great job good comics!"

Posted at

As soon as you start being more active in a forum (as in, you put your opinions out more and more), you'll begin to offend somebody. It doesn't matter if you really don't mean anything bad.. eventually something you say will offend somebody.

It's impossible to please everyone, other than just lurk and never say anything you really feel. Same as only giving 5's and never saying anything besides "Great job good comics!"

Exactly! The only way not offend some people is to do nothing. However even lurkers can offend people by doing nothing. For some people seem to go out of their way to be offended. (I haven't seen that here yet, for the record.)

If a person is a complete jerk then I might be less likely to read their comic, but if they're art is ok, then I'll take a look at it. I'm more drawn (pun not intended) if a person has a really good avatar or banner then I'll probably click and take a look.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I notice that a lot of people like to mention that this forum is pretty well behaved, especially compared to a lot of the internet. I don't know if it's due to good moderation or if comics fans are just really well behaved and polite about their opinions (hah!), but I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that most forum members actually have comics. I don't know about all of you, but I'll admit that I keep myself a bit "in check" sometimes because I know that how I present myself could very well effect my comic's readership. Of course, there are those who prefer to be infamous over famous, and rely on readers coming by because they're such horrible people outside of the comic. I know it's not universal, but I think we can all agree that a fair percentage of users on this site act better than they otherwise would because it could mean more readership down the road.

Posted at

Which is bull poop. If a person's forum behavior affect how you perceive their comic, congratulation, you are a weak willed shrill!

PARTY TIME FOR YOU!

Posted at

I haven't seen many rude people, but I usually browse comics before meeting the writers of them on the forum. At any rate; I'm glad I've discovered the secret to getting readers…pretty pages and sparkly banners.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

If I see a total asshole in the forums (which I seriously haven't seen yet in DrunkDuck)

Um, hello! Asshole over here!

Posted at

–although I do have a tendency to be really angry at stupid stuff, this topic was posted towards no one in general. i wasn't angry or annoyed with anyone at the time of writing it nor was i refusing to read anyone's comics. i just wanted to see your opinions on the matter.
i happen to love you all.

Posted at

–although I do have a tendency to be really angry at stupid stuff, this topic was posted towards no one in general. i wasn't angry or annoyed with anyone at the time of writing it nor was i refusing to read anyone's comics. i just wanted to see your opinions on the matter.
i happen to love you all.

Awww.. I wuvs you too!! Gimme a hug!!

Posted at

i dont know but you can check out my comic Dome Busta.ahahahahahahahahahahah ha ha ha
no but really i dont like asses. nice people mean nice comic : )

mlai
mlai
Posted at

You don't like asses?!

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I know how to distinguish art from artist.
Though it's a lovely thought, it's as much naive as it is sanctimonious. I would highly doubt that any person on this earth happens to be that "enlightened".

We all have inherent prejudices, or at the very least preconceived notions, that keep us from consuming "art" in whatever fashion.

Take Mel Gibson. Sure, he's done some great movies, but he's as big an anti-Semite as they come. Is a Jewish person a "weak-minded shrill" if they decide not put money in his pocket to see his movies?

Rush Limbaugh is a jackass. Do I know him in real life? No. Am I perceiving him from his "entertainment" pieces? Yep.

I know plenty of conservatives that would never even watch ANY of Micheal Moore's movies because they hate HIM. I suppose they are "weak-minded shrills" because they can't separate his "art" from the man himself?

My point is, although it's a cliche, sometimes life DOES imitate art, and sometimes it doesn't. You can't just pigeon-hole everything into one, sweeping comment without being a hypocrite yourself.

Now, there's a difference between being strong willed in a debate and being downright insulting. One I will put up with. The other I will not.

I'm sick of the whole "anonymity" thing on the internet, where people are jerks just because there is no real retribution. Well, there should be. You behave like a Jackass to your community, you've lost me as an audience. That's for damn sure. Lucky for me not too many people fall in this category. At least, not here. :)

Memmy
Memmy
Posted at

It takes a lot to make me not like someone. I dont use forum to check out people's comics. I prefer comic search engine to randomly look for good ones or I go to the front page.

So therefore, it doesnt matter if someone was being a jerk or a sweetheart. I dont look at someone's comic through their banners (except in rare cases).

I guess I'm odd.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Nicely put, SpANG.

Something to what InkMonkey said, I think a lot of people control their behavior better here because they have comics on here, and at the very least don't want to get banned. More like the real world, I suppose, you have a stake in it. I enjoy the forums for what they are, but I know a side benefit is possible readership (else I wouldn't bother with a banner). Not that I'm ever impolite anywhere else ;)

TnTComic
TnTComic
Posted at

I know plenty of conservatives that would never even watch ANY of Micheal Moore's movies because they hate HIM. I suppose they are "weak-minded shrills" because they can't separate his "art" from the man himself?

Why not? Its no different from people who don't like a man's work because he's gay.

The art IS different from the man. Picasso was a man-whore, Hemingway was a drunk, et cetera et cetera. We constantly ignore the artist when enjoying the art.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

The art IS different from the man. Picasso was a man-whore, Hemingway was a drunk, et cetera et cetera. We constantly ignore the artist when enjoying the art.
Hemingway and Picasso's pasts were unknown to millions until their deaths, I believe.

What you say is true enough, though. However, we all also constantly do what I said too, which is ignore the art because of our perceptions of the artists as well.

Is this correct behavior? Probably not. But it won't change. People just feel the way they feel. Some people are more sensitive to things, some are raised differently, etc.

TnTComic
TnTComic
Posted at

What you say is true enough, though. However, we all also constantly do what I said too, which is ignore the art because of our perceptions of the artists as well.

Lord knows we're urged to by people who have that opinion.

Personally, I don't like the tone of Moore's movies, but in interviews I DO like him. Which is an odd twist, kind of like how I like Scott Kurtz, but don't like PvP. Conversely, I love Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jr or Mel Gibson movies, because I don't give a shit about their personal lives.

I dunno, I guess you're right. Its not necessarily a character flaw, but I don't really like it when someone holds an artist against their work.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Personally, I don't like the tone of Moore's movies, but in interviews I DO like him. Which is an odd twist, kind of like how I like Scott Kurtz, but don't like PvP. Conversely, I love Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jr or Mel Gibson movies, because I don't give a shit about their personal lives.
See, I like Moore because of his movies. He seems like a nice guy in interviews, but hey, he's pushing his movie, why wouldn't he be? I have no idea what kind of guy he is in real life, but I based my opinion of him on his work.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.