Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hahaha… The only "gangs' here traditionally were "bogans" and surfies".
Well, for the youth anyway.

Of course there are the real gangs- Motorcycle gangs. We call them Bikies. :)
The two main gangs were (I'm not sure what the story is now) the Gypsy Jokers and the Coffin Cheaters. They're both extremely violent when they want to be, heavily armed and like killing each other and police if the occasion presents itself… And taking over the occasional country town for a little while.

That's about the only real life Mad Max thing that happens her in Oz. But I think the police finally cracked right down on then a few years ago with some very draconian tactics (thank heavens), so now they can't crap without being watched at all times.

-Those guys were big-time though, not street level gangs. They were serious organised crime, with national and some international connections. You weren't likely o bump into them much unless you happen to come across one of their mass rides or be stuck in a town they visited.

Lonnehart's point is a bit funny, since the lower level members of the gangs would work as security guards and bouncers. Dangerous people…

————————–

For youth "gangs" though… Surfies and bogans were the traditional Aussie kids… Dangerous youth gangs these days are drawn from the peoples who are currently on the margins, or the outside of society for various reasons. In my city that's small groups of young Aboriginal people (unfortunately), large groups of bored "white" kids, organised and rather vicious Vietnamese groups (they normally attack each other though, swords have frequently been involved), and the latest group which is poor migrant youth from various war torn African countries.

No of it is too big a problem really, or something that's hard to deal with or understand. It just seems a fact that younger people, especially thouse who're less well off or who have had difficult lives at home like to join together in groups for friendship and support with people who have shared similar experiences. And in groups people get stupider and more rowdy- because the bigger the group the more your confidence, the less responsibility you have for anything personally.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Lonnehart's point is a bit funny, since the lower level members of the gangs would work as security guards and bouncers. Dangerous people…

That was true for the company I work for 'til the office decided to require that we submit official court/police clearances (and they check these too). A lot of my coworkers were let go because they had criminal records, and we don't hire anyone who's got something serious on their record (theft, violence, anything that would give us doubt about the trustworthiness of an applicant).

Now if those gang members have a clean police record, they could be working for us…

Posted at

I live in a town of about 30,000 with more rednecks than anything else, but we still have two rival gangs that spray paint all over our fair city. I live in Cumberland Maryland. These little shits think they are so hardcore growing up on our mean streets. Its friggin pathetic. Its not Baltimore or New York there is nothing hardcore here its just a bunch of doucebag teenagers thinking they are cool.

Backstaber
Backstaber
Posted at

Where I live, we didn't really have problems with smaller gangs, just groups of kids who liked to cause trouble every once and awhile. We have more trouble with the larger gangs like the Crips and Bloods who distribute drugs and other illegal materials. They generally left the populance alone and actually haven't really fought eachother.

It's funny cause where I work, a Six Flags theme park, they come every year for one day in October and they fight within the park. No one gets killed or hurt badly, but it's still better then them killing eachother. Just wish they did it elsewhere …

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

im a gang of one

"A criminal street gang refers to three or more persons having a common identifying sign or symbol or an identifiable leadership who continuously or regularly associate in the commission of criminal activities."

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

I live in a town of about 30,000 with more rednecks than anything else, but we still have two rival gangs that spray paint all over our fair city. I live in Cumberland Maryland. These little shits think they are so hardcore growing up on our mean streets. Its friggin pathetic. Its not Baltimore or New York there is nothing hardcore here its just a bunch of doucebag teenagers thinking they are cool.

You live where Dr. Mcninja is though right? So he probably killed all the real gangs.

Yeah, gangs though. The only gangs in my school were two rival breakdancing gangs who named themselves after various brands of toilets. I seriously wish I were kidding.

DMH
DMH
Posted at

I've always been thankful that I don't live in an area with gangs. I'm a white kid from the suburbs and for that I'm glad.

Back in high school though, we did have these kids who were trying to act like they were 'gangsta' though. They swore every sentence, tried to strike poses while they walked and generally looked like complete idiots. It was actually quite amusing.

And no, I never had any desire to even try to be in a gang.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

There are no gangs around where I live, although there is a bad end of town where there are probably gangs. I live in Canada, so kids aren't typically carrying around guns.

We also have the "gangsta" kids, though. They really annoy me. They look and sound ridiculous.

Posted at

No gangs around here that I know of. Although the local high school buses in all the kids from downtown and has a rather unfortunate reputation (by which I mean it is considered the worst school in the area). I don't go there, being a private school kid. Of course, there are a few kids at my school who wouldn't surprise me if I learned they were in gangs…

A little side note: the Brother at my church once found some gang graffiti in the parking lot and spent the next few weeks joking about how the church has the protection of the "Colors". He works with gang kids often, as a lot of them end up doing community service with him. Him being the Groundskeeper and all.

He is by far the most unholy holy man I have ever known.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I forgot that although we don't really have any gangs, we do have 3 or 4 guys who spray-paint "PEAR" on buildings all over the city. Originally I thought it was just one guy and was amazed how much he got around.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Yeah, gangs though. The only gangs in my school were two rival breakdancing gangs who named themselves after various brands of toilets. I seriously wish I were kidding.

That… is an AWESOME idea for a comic! I lol'd so hard I have to know the full story behind these guys.

Oh, and yeah. Louisiana. We've got our little "gangs" in my home town, but we also live next to a military base, so they're not stupid enough to try anything a gang would do. In fact, none of these little gangs are even hard enough to be rivals with the others. They're more like neighborhood cliques.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Oh, and yeah. Louisiana. We've got our little "gangs" in my home town, but we also live next to a military base, so they're not stupid enough to try anything a gang would do. In fact, none of these little gangs are even hard enough to be rivals with the others. They're more like neighborhood cliques.
Where are you at in Louisiana? Just curious.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

The central area, about three hours away from any major city.

Posted at

Oh yes. Gangs…

One time I was walking down the street and this guy comes up to me and asks:

"Hey, are you a part of *BLAHBLAHBLAHGANG*? And where can I get some drugs?!"

I answered 'WTF? Do I look like a high gang-banger to you?!'. He realized he made a terrible mistake, apologized, and ran off. That's the depth of my experience with that, though. Thank-god
:D

imshard
imshard
Posted at

In my experience most gang-bangers are either kids who've made a bad fashion choice (just like emo, jocks, preppies, goths, etc.) or a bunch wannabes and posers that may or may not be associated with a real gang. That or they trail around after the gang hoping to be noticed and invited in. They don't really phase me at all.

Occasionally I've run into the REAL gangs in my area (and they are numerous). Those times count amongst the most frightening of my life. I came out the worse for wear a few times as a result.

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

God this annoys me to no end, but anyway, this just happened to me.

So I was at my aunt's house try to upload Adobe CS4 master series on her computer
(with no good outcomes)but I got thirsty, so I drove to the store(thats the name of the place….don't ask). After buying said tasty beverage I drove back to my aunt's house. Now, where she lives isn't a bad neighborhood, but then again, it ain't a good one either. I stepped out of my Jeep and grabbed my drink(can't forget that!) When two kids, I'm assuming are 15 or 16 walking on the other side of the street, and one of them is eyeballing me funny, then out of no where he asks me "Ey' Are you a Tribe boi or a Trap Boi!?" With a cocked eyebrow I started to think Trap or Tribe? The hell is he talking about?

Then it hit me, back in highschool there we're two rival gangs that shared those names, I being a smart person, avoided gangs like the plague. Apparently I was wearing the colors of the rival gang (black and blue, colors I wear a lot). I promptly told them neither and went back in my car for something else, where as I did that I heard screamed at me "You better not be either, or my home boi are gonna have to kick yo' ass!" with a little snide laugh at the end.

I rolled my eyes at them, I'm a college student I'm not about to fight some little kids, after that they started calling out random gang stuff and flashing gang signs at me, all I could do was shake my head. Gangs are so backward, I don't see why people join them. This every happned to anyone else? or if it hasn't, what do you think about this situation?

you handed that all wrong. all you needed to say was "BREAK YOSELF, FOO!" and raises your shirt up, revealing the gat you had tucked in the waistband of your pants. then say x3 "WE GOT A FUCKING PROBLEM HERE?"

they would have said "no sir" and walked away.

Insizwa
Insizwa
Posted at

1. I agree entirely with NickGuy
2. Where I'm from there are no official gangs, just drug dealers. I lived in the Cocaine Capitol of Northern Ontario. Now I live in Ottawa, and I haven't heard or seen any gangs yet, but it's not like I take midnight strolls through the ghetto to find any.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.