Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

As counterintuitive as it might be don't wear a helmet. Having the sense to protect your noggin marks ya as an expendable mook and you'll die horribly during a dragon attack or when the evil wizard casts a spell that nukes whatever 12-foot radius area you happen to be standing in.
Also, if there's anything potentially dangerous that needs to be done find a sucker in your party to do it for ya.

Futon
Futon
Posted at

Explosives are super-effective against just about anything.

Also, fighting fair is overappreciated.

same
same
Posted at

Horrible advice!
Fact: 90% of treasure, and other cool stuff is found while completly lost.
Never, I repeat NEVER, use maps.

Bring a compass, and if you can, the relevant maps.

Compass to find the hidden stuff tends to be hidden enough itself so vald point and valid point although i do tend to end up using a compass last seeing as ive found everything else first. But both points are valid.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Don't party up with humans and especially not elves, unless you want to hang out with insipid children who speak with numbers and capital letters. Party up with the orcs, trolls, and minotaurs: They are usually the well-mannered, well-spoken, educated bunch who are actually interested in adventuring maturely.

Koshou
Koshou
Posted at

Always make sure that your hair is at least two times the size of you skull.

You can never have enough phoenix downs/revives/revival magic.

Buff magic is and always will be useless.

And don't ever, ever, trust the almost absurdly suspicious comic relief character.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

When entering a doorway, look up at the ceiling. There may be some horrible beastie waiting to drop down and maul you!

If there's an enemy that's healing all the others, kill him first.

Mounts are better than walking, and need not always be a horse.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

A tip I just learned from playing Dragon Age: Origins

If an NPC has joined your party, strip them of all weapons and armour before they die (it's a fair bet they will!) or leave you to continue without them. This is only likely to be relevant at the beginning of the game (i.e. before you have enough plot-relevant characters to make a full party of your own) but, hey, that's when you're most in need of a little extra cash, right?

ramlama
ramlama
Posted at

The two make sense, but what about the ten foot pole? I personally would bring along a collapsable ten foot pole. The thing would be a lot of trouble to carry at all ten feet…
If you're in DnD, it's usually more effective to carry around a bundle of "Mage Hand" scrolls. It's a 0 level spell, so they're dirt cheap in most campaigns (and, by default, can be made by any wizard in the group). Much less cumbersome than a 10 foot pole and more versatile ("oh no- the trap at the entrance to the dungeon snapped our 10 foot pole! Now we're without!" vs. "Good to know it was trapped. Let's move on!" )

(Note: The spell says move a 5 lb object up to 15 feet per turn. If a turn is about 6 seconds, that's 150 feet per minute and about 9,000 feet per hour; about 1.7 miles per hour. That's not an excessive amount of force, but it's enough for most purposes.)

same
same
Posted at

A tip I just learned from playing Dragon Age: Origins

If an NPC has joined your party, strip them of all weapons and armour before they die (it's a fair bet they will!) or leave you to continue without them. This is only likely to be relevant at the beginning of the game (i.e. before you have enough plot-relevant characters to make a full party of your own) but, hey, that's when you're most in need of a little extra cash, right?

I do that with expendable final fantasy characters and ones i know are gonna be killed off that have better equipment. Free equipment:)

Posted at

NPCs that aren't vital to the plot = meat shield and trap checkers.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

If wielding metal items of any sort, take care to avoid rust monsters…

This is especially true if metal armor is the only thing you're wearing…

ksteak
ksteak
Posted at

Damn I'm tired. I came into this thread expecting tips on 'advertising'.

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

Damn I'm tired. I came into this thread expecting tips on 'advertising'.
Wait, you mean this isn't?

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

This thread is pretty dead but I have some tips:

- Don't team up with a guy named Leroy.
- Never talk to the guy named Sickly hobo.
- Wear underpants when using leather armor, it itches.
- Don't eat the rat meat.
- Summon warriors, and run if they get into berserk state.
- Don't let your summoned warriors get into berserk state.
- Make sure you pack enough lockpicks.
- Don't get near the slime monsters.
- Keep torches away from hats.
- Don't pickpocket guards.
- Let sleeping orcs lie.
- Don't go adventuring with Elves, crossdressers and especially no crossdressing Elves.
- When facing a beholder, knife to the eye!

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

This thread is pretty dead but I have some tips:

- Don't team up with a guy named Leroy.
- Never talk to the guy named Sickly hobo.
- Wear underpants when using leather armor, it itches.
- Don't eat the rat meat.
- Summon warriors, and run if they get into berserk state.
- Don't let your summoned warriors get into berserk state.
- Make sure you pack enough lockpicks.
- Don't get near the slime monsters.
- Keep torches away from hats.
- Don't pickpocket guards.
- Let sleeping orcs lie.
- Don't go adventuring with Elves, crossdressers and especially no crossdressing Elves.
- When facing a beholder, knife to the eye!

Learned about "Leeroy" the hard way…
Never heard of Sickly Hobo…
What's wrong with rat meat? Despite dying from your insides being infected with toxins?
Learned about the beserk state the hard way… I'm the first guy they chase…
I also learned that just unsheathing their weapons will make them go beserk, so no avoiding that…
You can pack TOO MANY lockpicks. It's impossible to lift a pack full of them.
Slime monsters are cute… As long as they're not dissolving parts of your anatomy…
Ah, come on! Aren't sleeping orcs easier to kill?
Tried knifing a beholder in the eye. Lost my hand and dagger to its mouth… X_X

humorman
humorman
Posted at

All adventurers have beards.

Adventurers are always exploring different areas and looking at such amazing sights that their jaws are always dropping – never giving them any time to shave.

And that's why all great adventurers have beards.

Posted at

Adventurers are always exploring different areas and looking at such amazing sights that their jaws are always dropping – never giving them any time to shave.

Indeed we do.

ramlama
ramlama
Posted at

The DnD group that I DM for on Sundays hasn't learned this one yet, but they will: in any given DnD campaign, at least one NPCs will be a doppelganger. This one has been with the group for about four sessions now (app. 3 months in in-game time). They'll be getting some big hints shortly…

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

yet another reason why you should never adventure with elves, or women…

oh and… Woohoo! I ressurected this thread!

the second part of my tips for beginning adventurers:
- When riding a horse, both hands at the manes at all times.
- Grow a beard.
- When making a fire, do it outside the tent.
- Don't wear amulets, they clash with beards.
- Avoid people named Minsc.
- when someone offers you the 'magical rainbow colored hairband of eternal joy' accept it. true power is in rainbow.
- If new to the game, don't team up with UltimaTE_N00B_K1LL4.
- If a girl calls out to you from the woods, Don't enter the woods.
- The guy in the castle is a vampire.
- Trust a pig farmer named Dink Smallwood, get him in your party, he'll kick your ass.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

If you see a tarrasque and he's going after you, don't bother running away. You'll just die tired. :)

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

If you see a horde of orcs and they are going after you, don't bother running away. You'll just die tired. :)

Posted at

If a person offers you a magical tattoo just say no((learned the hard way XD ))
Never bad mouth the rogue.
Orcs like people who drink.
When on a ship never juggle a fireball…NEVER

If your a female character stay away from anything with tentacles.

Posted at

If you see a "X" and he's going after you, don't bother running away. You'll just die tired. :)

No! By all means run, as dangerous as the Tarrasque or a horde of orcs is they're not by nature inescapable. In the case of the Tarrasque that bastard is huge so if you run into a small cave or passage he won't be able to get you. In the case of a horde of orcs they're not very dangerous if you're in a large group, so run 'til ya find a town or if you're really lucky, another group of adventurers. If anything they'll thank you for the EXP.
I don't care if these plans won't work, I'm determined to cling to my false hope!

Posted at

Before running away from something look for a hiding place. That something might be faster.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.