Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
marine
marine
Posted at

It's worth noting that in everyday speech we frequently make all kinds of grammatical errors: We leave sentences unfinished, we say "umm", we inappropriately modify existing words to suit our purpose instead of looking for a better one, we finish sentences with nonsensical statements such as "You know". It's worthwhile trying to write dialogue which reflects the fluidity of normal speech.

Spelling errors/typos need to be fixed though (and yes, I'm guilty of making a few of my own) - they serve as an obstacle to enjoying the comic because the reader is focused on *how* things are said, rather than *what* is said.

That only works if you want people to enjoy your webcomic.

Posted at

one of the best tools you can have around is a Thesaurus.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/

Unless of course, you are trapped in the mountains with a hungry soccer team, or in a haunted house in Japan with those creepy kids running about.

Then I want in the first case a lot of snacks and a handgun, and in the second case, I'll take a good pair of running shoes.

bluebug
bluebug
Posted at

I'm one of the few people who have horrible grammar writing in my comic. D: But since I don't have a proof reader, I've given up doing English comics and started doing my comics in Chinese. D:
Your writing was always so good before Eunice, and your writing in the forums is always great… What goes wrong? :(

When it comes to writing dialogues in my comics, I lack the creativity in writing spoken dialogues. Every conversational words I write are as stiff as writing a newspaper article. And my Martian comics is just that bad. D:

Heck, if the lack of a proof reader is the only thing that's keeping you from continuing your English comics, I'd happily proof read your stuff, Eunice. I'm an oddball who likes editing stuff in any case.

I agree with the majority vote. It's definitely nice to have grammatical errors pointed out. My personal pet peeve is when comickers don't even attempt to use the normal conventions of grammar like using abbreviations, capital letters or punctuation. A comic is the sum of its parts, art and writing included.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.