Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

house guest basics

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

A little guidance / opinion would be welcome. What are the basics when it comes to having a house guest or being a house guest? What made one of your visits the best or worse?

We'll be hosting my daughter's "special friend" from out of town in a couple of weeks, and so if there's common traps to avoid, it's be great to know about them.

Thanks

binaryfaye
binaryfaye
Posted at

Tell them several times that if they want to need something to ask. Some people are honestly too polite to tell you that they're hungry or tired or if there's something that they need and can't find.

Find out what kinds of foods they like and what kinds they can't have before they show up. Lord knows how many times I've gone somewhere and can't eat cause everything's laden with onions…

Let them know "house rules" up front too. If you're pretty adamant about recycling or if you need it quiet by a certain time of night tell them before it becomes an issue.

That's all I can think of now…

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

binary's got it right. and just go outa yer way a little bit without them asking. little things like make sure there's clean towels and offer then to them.if there's some kinda snack or something you make well suprise them with that. little things like that help. im not saying run yerself ragged.
…and make sure they know where the beer is! :D

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Pull a bluebeard. (Tell the guest he can under no circumstances come into a specific room, the bathroom is funniest.)

As the parent it's your responsibility to make the guest as uncomfortable as possible, if they are in your chair you tell them to leave. If they look hungry, go fetch YOURSELF a snack. If they try to kiss your daughter, stare at 'em.

Another thing that really works wonders is tell the guy that you are indoor-nudists.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Pull a bluebeard. (Tell the guest he can under no circumstances come into a specific room, the bathroom is funniest.)

As the parent it's your responsibility to make the guest as uncomfortable as possible, if they are in your chair you tell them to leave. If they look hungry, go fetch YOURSELF a snack. If they try to kiss your daughter, stare at 'em.

Another thing that really works wonders is tell the guy that you are indoor-nudists.

That wasn't an LOL, that was a belly laugh!!
I guess I've been looking at this the wrong way. Maybe I should make an elaborate show of taking the quarantine sign from the front door saying—oops this should have come down a while ago

And thanks Binary and Pit!! Excellent points

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936509

^Pretty much a how-not-to. Also, pretty much every experience I've had going to friends houses.

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

It's probably best not to refer to him as 'your daughter special friend' as it will make him feel unwelcome.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

In line with Kroatz's advice, The Denton Family from the League of Gentlemen make perfect hosts:

That is an example to follow!

More here

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Can't better that advice for having a houseguest.

As far as being a houseguest goes, always bring a sack of dirty washing and leave them out with a note to be cleaned and pressed, but do it one item at a time.
Also, smoke cigars or a pipe and carry a large supply of matches to constantly strike on expensive looking surfaces.

Edit: oops, nearly forgot - pretend to be French if you can carry it off. I don't know why, but it adds weight to the above tactics.

Posted at

It's generally considered rude to refuse to eat what your host serves you. The polite thing to do is to at least try it (unless you're allergic, in which case you really should tell your host. 9 times out of 10 they'll understand and offer to get you something else to eat; the 10th person is an inconsiderate jackass who apparently doesn't understand what "allergic" means).

Posted at

Read The first verses of "Hávamál" (Sayings of the wise one). It's an epic poem about advices for living, proper conduct and wisdom. The first 80 verses are about how one should be a good guest/host. It may have been written in the 13th century but it still rings home today:

All the entrances, before you walk forward,
you should look at,
you should spy out;
for you can't know for certain where enemies are sitting,
ahead in the hall
*rough translation of the first verse.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Read The first verses of "Hávamál" (Sayings of the wise one). It's an epic poem about advices for living, proper conduct and wisdom. The first 80 verses are about how one should be a good guest/host. It may have been written in the 13th century but it still rings home today:

All the entrances, before you walk forward,
you should look at,
you should spy out;
for you can't know for certain where enemies are sitting,
ahead in the hall
*rough translation of the first verse.
Thank you. I'll check that out the very next time I run into the Hávamál. I've heard it's wise to pay attention to the philosophies of wikings. ;-)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.