Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
MechaZeep
MechaZeep
Posted at

first thing i ask r u a tellamarker? and i wont stop saying stuff intill hes says it then i hang up what i hate more is the robots because they talk to fast!

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I barely deal with any type of telemarketer since I never EVER answer any phone number that I don't know of. They usually call the house phone, which I have in another room and barely use. I make all my personal calls on my cell phone. :)

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

talk to them nicely.

Then tell them to call back in the year 2199

worstcase
worstcase
Posted at

i tell them they are failures at life and that i just want them to leave me alone

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

I just say nothing and hang up.
Exactly. I don't know why anybody talks to a telemarketer. Once I know it's a phone solicitation, I hang up. They usually don't even get to finish their opening pitch.

You don't have to be polite with these people. They're the ones interupting you.

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

me - hello?
TM - are you the head of the household?
me - nope.
TM - can i speak to him?
me - he's not here.
TM - do you know when he'll be back?
me - i have no idea. i dont live here.
long pause
me - wanna come over and take a bath with me?
click

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

I usually just hang up after telling them I'm not interested and hopefully they find someone else who might be. Usually they're not pushy on any of their products or marketing techniques, and are pretty polite.

I try to do this as well. Just a simple 'thanks but no thanks' and I never hear from them again.

I feel bad for the people who feel they need to make crank calls. Probably some inner self-loathing that's being directed outward towards a person who makes good money. Oh well, we all have our jealous moments

Undefined
Undefined
Posted at

Heehee
Well, I have handled this differently over time. When my nieces were toddlers, I'd give the phone to them. I'd sit close and listen to see just how long the telemarketer would stay on. Some would ask for my niece to get an adult and of course my niece would respond in baby~ish babble. Some immediately hung up, some would continue to ask for a few minutes.
Sometimes I would just put the phone down after answering. Not hang up, just lay it on the couch or whatever and see how long they stay on the line saying "Helllllo?". One person stayed on a good 10 minutes. Other times I would say "I'm not allowed to make decisions" and quickly hang up.
Now that I have had jobs where I deal with people on the phone (though never to sale, thank goodness!), I have a bit more sympathy and simply say "no thank you, bye".

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

me - hello?
me - nope.
TM - can i speak to him?
me - he's not here.
long pause
click
Brilliant!

I always wonder about that "man of the house" stuff…

Posted at

me - hello?
me - nope.
TM - can i speak to him?
me - he's not here.
long pause
click

I… I… I love you

Baconators
Baconators
Posted at

One of my favorite approaches is:
Me: Hello?
TM: Can I speak to Mr. or Mrs. blablabla please?
Me: Yeah, sure, hold on a second.

And then I just put down the phone and leave it there 'till they hang up.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

Telemarketers. You either hate them, or you -really- hate them. I'm fitting in the latter category right now. I was asleep on my couch, and got two phone calls within a five-minute time frame. I decided to answer the second time, and got this.

Me: Hello?

TM: Hello, sir. Are you the man of the house?

Me: I guess. Look, I'm not interested.

TM: No, No, I'm with Direct Marketing _______blah blah, and we're starting a new promotion.

Me: I'm not interested, sorry.

TM: No, don't hang up. Don't you want an all expenses-paid trip?

Me: No. I live in my basement.

Then he hung up. What a bum.

Anyway, does anyone have some funny techniques to throw these guys off?

Usually I hang up… But when no one else can hear I usually tell them: "I don't give a fuck about your damn product!"

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

I'm not good at putting the phone down on people while they're still speaking (damn my congenital British politeness!), so I usually let them finish their opening pitch but - as soon as they pause for breath - I'm pretty quick with the "No thanks" and promptly hanging up.

The exception is if the same company calls several times. Then I'm more than happy to cut them off in mid-flow!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.