Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Torrie
Torrie
Posted at

If someone read any of my work and didn't get it, I'd either be completely neutral or piss myself at the fear that I will never be understood…depending on the subject matter.

Yep, depending on the day of the week and what I ate for dinner.

It depends whether I wanted them to get it or not, though. ;)

Although you hear tales of some lucky people (or liars) who would have you believe their entire family reads (and loves) their comic. And all their friends. And the neighbour's dog.

Seriously, my comic is about a bunch of drunks in a fantasy land. So anyone who doesn't do much drinking or isn't interested in fantasy is 99% not likely to get it. Which is pretty much everyone I know. Although I did notice a correlation between left-brain oriented people I know (3) and number of "I don't get it" comments (3). From the same 3 people.

But it doesn't really bother me at the moment aside from initial feelings of inadequacy when people tell me; I'm still reeling from getting the thing online at long last, I think! If loads more people tell me they don't get it, then I'll have to rethink my writing style.

Tor.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Me too. I have this strange instinct to shut my sketchbook when someone comes into teh room. I can't even help it! Does anyone else suffer from this!?
Yes. I can't stand someone watching me draw. It's like someone cracking open your head and watching you think (and of course commenting while doing so). Made art classes kind of troublesome.
I do that too…or minimize Photoshop when someone walks in the room. I don't really like people looking through my sketchbook, either…my logic is that for a visual person, a sketchbook is kind of like a diary.
Oh, Lawdy yes. I can't stand people watching me draw, or seeing something I'm drawing before it's finished. I don't like people reading my comics (or anything I've written) in my presence, either.
I too.

ESPECIALLY if they want to play at being a critic.
-> DO NOT do that near me while I'm creating or I will harm you. >_<

Being a critic over a piece of work that's already done is ok though. If I'm there at the time I'll still be tetchy.

…Although it can be fun when they don't know you're the artist, like at an exhibition. Hilarious in fact. :)

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

The issue I have it that non-artists really don't understand the steps that art takes…. so, I do a thumbnail sketch and then I do a rough with figures created by ovals, etc and handdrawn panel lines to figure out my balance. I take the roughs and create my finished pencils with my own shorthand for my ink work. Even at this point non-artists will say "isn't his head too big" or whatever. It isn't until the page is inked, scanned, with dialogue, tones, etc. that I will show it to most people.

The same is true for my paintings… in the rough stages, it sounds like an abstract even if it isn't ;) People tend to like the final results but think anything up to that point is crap.

Here is a site I use to show "progress" steps to potential "customers" and you can see I've already skipped to my final pencils… HAHA

http://www.shpapa.com/2.html

In fact, I wish I had an artist friend that I could bounce stuff off of before the page is finished… ha.

Me too. I have this strange instinct to shut my sketchbook when someone comes into teh room. I can't even help it! Does anyone else suffer from this!?
Yes. I can't stand someone watching me draw. It's like someone cracking open your head and watching you think (and of course commenting while doing so). Made art classes kind of troublesome.

I do that too…or minimize Photoshop when someone walks in the room. I don't really like people looking through my sketchbook, either…my logic is that for a visual person, a sketchbook is kind of like a diary.
Oh, Lawdy yes. I can't stand people watching me draw, or seeing something I'm drawing before it's finished. I don't like people reading my comics (or anything I've written) in my presence, either.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

It is more like I use my dad's computer to edit my comic cause our WI-FI is broken. He hits paste at one moment and my pencil work appears. (Why he his paste is beyond me.) He then prints it out and asks what the hell is this ***** doing on his computer. -.- But usually people who look over my shoulder stare at me and ask me why I'm not an art major.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

I've had people not get certain parts of my stuff– not my comics, so far, but the material behind it. That's a big old red flag. And god it's depressing.
I like how sophisticated your story is, though! I mean, it's pretty obscure source material (at least to most people) but I think the specificity of it makes it all the more interesting! Plus, I love it when folks aren't afraid to tackle more unconventional subjects. :)
outdated & forgotten pop culture
Oh, I am the worst at this. Either that or obscure stuff that, like, 3 people know. (There are several references or inspirations in my comic from this Canadian garage-punk band called The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets- a self-proclaimed "Lovecraft tribute band".) But I try to weave it in so that even if you don't catch it (and I don't expect that most people will) it still makes sense. It's like a private little joke/communication with the tiny handful of people who share my particular tastes. >:)

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

Wow, that is NOT right (the dad thing.. not the art major thing ;)).

It is more like I use my dad's computer to edit my comic cause our WI-FI is broken. He hits paste at one moment and my pencil work appears. (Why he his paste is beyond me.) He then prints it out and asks what the hell is this ***** doing on his computer. -.- But usually people who look over my shoulder stare at me and ask me why I'm not an art major.

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

I've had people not get certain parts of my stuff– not my comics, so far, but the material behind it. That's a big old red flag. And god it's depressing.
I like how sophisticated your story is, though! I mean, it's pretty obscure source material (at least to most people) but I think the specificity of it makes it all the more interesting! Plus, I love it when folks aren't afraid to tackle more unconventional subjects. :)
Crazy stuff for the tiny handful of people who share my particular tastes. >:)

I agree about Kristen's comic.. some stuff is worth figuring out (I've googled a couple of times reading it but don't tell anyone).

And I love your stuff too.. I think a lot of the crazies are on DD (like me) so that works, right? :D

Posted at

Crazy stuff for the tiny handful of people who share my particular tastes. >:)

I agree about Kristen's comic.. some stuff is worth figuring out (I've googled a couple of times reading it but don't tell anyone).

And I love your stuff too.. I think a lot of the crazies are on DD (like me) so that works, right? :D

merci beaucoup, both of you!! :) I am touched.

back to that other topic about ppl watching you draw…
Actually, I had a really terribly awkward encounter yesterday regarding someone seeing me drawing my comic. I was sitting outside of Au Bon Pain, drawing page 14, and this old guy (gray hair, balding, veritas old guy) comes up to me, looms over for a while, asks for a light, and sits down at my table (!!!) and starts asking about my comic. ick. invasion of personal space. I of course marketed myself, gave him my URL, told him to spread the word, and then awkwardly got up and left. And suddenly I understood why people don't want random people watching them drawing.

Aghammer
Aghammer
Posted at

merci beaucoup, both of you!! :) I am touched.

back to that other topic about ppl watching you draw…
Actually, I had a really terribly awkward encounter yesterday regarding someone seeing me drawing my comic. I was sitting outside of Au Bon Pain, drawing page 14, and this old guy (gray hair, balding, veritas old guy) comes up to me, looms over for a while, asks for a light, and sits down at my table (!!!) and starts asking about my comic. ick. invasion of personal space. I of course marketed myself, gave him my URL, told him to spread the word, and then awkwardly got up and left. And suddenly I understood why people don't want random people watching them drawing.

HA… see you are FAMOUS! Actually, there are people and then there is just creepy (I hope that guy doesn't join DD… web comic stalker badness)! you need to go out in messy clothes and mussed up hair and talk to yourself as you draw. I find that it keeps people away :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.