Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

She'll be right, mate. Don't worry about it.

(shakes head) Unfortunately in the U.S. where we live in a world of parents wanting to jump on every little stupid thing and lawsuits coming out the ass, he kind of does have to do something. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good ol US of A… "The Land of the Free"

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

That's not so much the problem as parents not knowing how to be parents. The parents had a poor education with little explanation of things and so they pass it on to their children, creating a cycle.

It's much along the same lines that people don't really understand the comment, "I don't know you from Adam!" or they think The Bible teaches people to hate fantasy. The latter is due to poor education in their religious life growing up and continuing on in their adult life.

From personal experience, I remember when my mother and step-father did not like the fact I was watching the cartoon version of The Legend of Zelda because of the content. I guess my step-father had spoken with someone at his sister's church about the cartoon and they flipped out, giving him advice on it. Obviously all of the information this person had was wrong and very obscured. When I made the comment how it had nothing to do with evil and Link was saving people, they tried to retaliate with the comment, "Only JESUS saves people." After my reply of, "So, firefighters don't save people? Policemen don't save people? There are no policemen in Legend of Zelda, so he has to help them!" it was like a switch flicked on in their head. I never had a problem with any kind of imaginative thing after that. They might not have liked the things I was involved with (even to this day, they have their own ideas on what is appropriate and not), but they understood.

People are free to do what they wish, but there are always consequences for their actions, be it right or wrong. A police officer has every right to get trashed every day they are off duty, but the perception of them doing so is much harsher than a construction worker doing the same thing.

Sure there may be double standards, but there are perceptions of standards in for all professions. I don't want to see a math teacher mouthing off to a child about their political views any more than I want a functioning alcoholic as a firefighter.

rmccool
rmccool
Posted at

the parents of my students seem to spend a lot of time worring about things that have little to do with math or anything I teach. when I was still in school a woman from the church I went to at that time somehow found a link to my site. they spent the next two weeks praying for me.. following me around telling me dragons = time in hell ect. getting it stopped was a fight. I find more people belive that

The Bible teaches people to hate fantasy.
then don't. the parents of the kids I teach worry about harry potter and old yeller ,( yes someone out there does not want kids exposed to stories with dead dogs in them" but they let the same kids watch south park. I live far away from the place i went to school. No one really knows me here. No one knows that i do any form of art. I won't stop posting. one can only look at so many math problems with out going mad. but A disclamer and pen name are not a bad idea.

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

Okay, for the record: there are a lot of ignorant people out there, claiming to be Christians. Believe me, they give the rest of us a bad name and make us roll our eyes, too.

the parents of my students seem to spend a lot of time worring about things that have little to do with math or anything I teach. when I was still in school a woman from the church I went to at that time somehow found a link to my site. they spent the next two weeks praying for me.. following me around telling me dragons = time in hell ect. getting it stopped was a fight. I find more people belive that
The Bible teaches people to hate fantasy.
then don't. the parents of the kids I teach worry about harry potter and old yeller ,( yes someone out there does not want kids exposed to stories with dead dogs in them" but they let the same kids watch south park. I live far away from the place i went to school. No one really knows me here. No one knows that i do any form of art. I won't stop posting. one can only look at so many math problems with out going mad. but A disclamer and pen name are not a bad idea.

blntmaker
blntmaker
Posted at

Just started a new job at a private school here in Los Angeles where they actually do background checks on every applicant. Through the check, they found out I had a comic and I STILL got hired.

Now, I'm 30% in the classroom doing technology integration and 40% technology administrator on campus, but it actually worked in my advantage to have the comic, especially given the content.

Once a week, I have to teach an enrichment class after-school and the head of school asked me if I'd be interested in teaching an art class that was Adobe Illustrator based. So I'm designing a "comic book" rubric.

Point is, If you're proud of what you do on the side, then there's no reason to have fears about what parents or administrators say about you. I work at a school where actors and people in the entertainment industry send their kids. I taught math, science and technology on the secondary level for years, but at this school, I'm all technology. Knowing you have something like a comic online can in most cases, enhance your resume from a digital art or media standpoint (I remember an artist on here talking about how she scored a sweet gig with a studio BECAUSE of her webcomic).

If your content is otherwise, then it might be time to adopt a pen name. Unfortunate, but if you're living in a fair conservative area with conservative parents, you may have to add extra protection to your livelihood.

Best thoughts to you though - the school year is getting ready to start.

JazylH
JazylH
Posted at

WOW! That's is so ridiculous. People can be so fickle at times, rmcool. I don't see how making a comic should even coincide with your teaching. I had no idea that this thing even happened until you mentioned it.

As long as your doing your job teaching I don't think they have any right to intervene in these matters & if they do I think you should ignore completely what they say. As long as you love making web comics I think you should keep at it. Although unrelated I had a friend who faced a similar problem( not comics related) but just a year back he ran into a massive success & now the same people who ridiculed him once go gaga around him.

Keep at it my friend.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I'm a math teacher. (explanes why i can't spell.) I also post a comic here about a kid named Lan who makes zombies and a dragon named Warmwind. they are not the kind of folks you would want your kid to look up to. A friend told me my comic is not something that a teacher should be doing. That it could creat problems as parents might say i am teaching witchcraft encouraging Immoral behaviors ect. I don't tell my "kids" I do this. If they google me they will find it "Public Humiliation" a lot faster they they will find my class web page.. I keep dragons for the most part out of my classroom as a lot of folks object to them. what do you think ? what should i do if anything?

My hobby is blowing dudes behind dumpsters, but you don't see that affecting how people look at me at BK. Don't worry so much.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Wow, I remember when this thread first appeared… soooo long in the past.

I just hope none of my employers ever find out about my all night drug binges and non-stop sex orgies with ladies of ill-repute.
Wearing cowgirl outfits…

Or that website with all those videos of my "performances"…

Oh noes! I've said too much! Shizza! O_o

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.