Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Mafia VI is still running but it's time to find out who will receive the honor of running the next game.

As the game has progressed we've developed few rules for the applicants to follow.

Veteran players only. The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least once.

No encore performance As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you cant be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from previous games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal. What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific hour? Make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.
An example of a GMT conversion table:

Show us your stuff The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (Product Placement). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the murder. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research while at the same time not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refer from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and like to use. Impress us with what you can do. At the end of the narration post an explanation that shows people how the clues link to you so that we can understand your logic.

I will post applicants narrations here for people to quickly read through. Once we have enough applications I will announce when it's time to vote for your favorite GM. Applicants do not need to vote since it's given that they'll be voting for themselves.

In the early morning, a lone chimney-sweep was cleaning a chimney (because that's what they're paid to do). Suddenly, a stranger appeared out of the thick fog rolling in the night. The stranger pulled out a dagger and chucked it towards the chimney-sweep. It grazed his head. The chimney-sweep made a mad dash to the nearest fire escape, only making a quick glance towards his killer. Though only a peek, he recognized one trait that seemed familiar to him: the eyes. He recognized that cold blank stare before, but from where? It was than the chimney-sweep realized that he had accidentally walked off the entire building in an ironically cartoon-ish sort of way.

*THWAAK*

As the chimney-sweep lied in agony on the cold hard floor, he could see a sign with some lettering scrolling down vertically. He was able to make out a "b"… or was that a "p"? Maybe a "d". I guess it doesn't matter, seeing how he's dead and all.

Product Placement the townie has been killed.
Product Placement was returning home from a wonderful day of stabbing, looting, and obtaining protection money. These are the sort of events that are best shared with a friend. As he continued his nightly stroll, he could have sworn that he saw movement in the corner of his eyes. He turned quickly but there was nothing there. “Things should never change around here,” he reassured himself. Why should a harden member of the mob be afraid of shadows? That was absolutely ridiculous. He turned around and there was somebody before him. “Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?”

“I’m merely a reversal.”
The figure quickly leaped on Product Placement’s back. In his hands was a rope that was already tied into a noose. It wasn’t long before Product Placement was overcome and sent to the next life.

Product Placement the mafia underling is dead.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

Okay, here's how I'll moderate the game:

- If I become GM, the next game will have virtually the same rules and roles as the first mafia game (no screwball or hidden roles).

- Each day/night shall end at 4pm PST (12am GMT). A narrative will be posted approximately one hour after the beginning of each day/night.

- Here's my sample narrative:

In the early morning, a lone chimney-sweep was cleaning a chimney (because that's what they're paid to do). Suddenly, a stranger appeared out of the thick fog rolling in the night. The stranger pulled out a dagger and chucked it towards the chimney-sweep. It grazed his head. The chimney-sweep made a mad dash to the nearest fire escape, only making a quick glance towards his killer. Though only a peek, he recognized one trait that seemed familiar to him: the eyes. He recognized that cold blank stare before, but from where? It was than the chimney-sweep realized that he had accidentally walked off the entire building in an ironically cartoon-ish sort of way.

*THWAAK*

As the chimney-sweep lied in agony on the cold hard floor, he could see a sign with some lettering scrolling down vertically. He was able to make out a "b"… or was that a "p"? Maybe a "d". I guess it doesn't matter, seeing how he's dead and all.

Product Placement the townie has been killed.

- Oh, and here's the narrative explanation:

1. "Though only a peek, he recognized one trait that seemed familiar to him: the eyes. He recognized that cold blank stare before, but from where?"

This refers to the character that appears in the banner of my signature. His eyes are the only feature on his face that actually stand out (or even exist).

2. "It was than the chimney-sweep realized that he had accidentally walked off the entire building in an ironically cartoon-ish sort of way."

This refers to the general theme of my comic humor. It's ironic in the sense that it uses uninspired stick figure drawings but utilizes incredibly dry humor to get its punchlines across.

3. "As the chimney-sweep lied in agony on the cold hard floor, he could see a sign with some lettering scrolling down vertically."

This refers to my avatar. It contains my signature written vertically.

4. "He was able to make out a "b"… or was that a "p"? Maybe a "d". I guess it doesn't matter, seeing how he's dead and all."

This is a red herring. The narrative explicitly states that this particular piece of information "doesn't matter".

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I agree, it should be humorman. He seems to be one of the least stupid people around.
That is because he traded his stupidity center for a bigger jerk center.

I don't even know why you even bothered running.

After you called everyone in the game F-ing morons, I would be surprised if you were even voted for.

Posted at

Let's give other people a chance to apply before voting. All votes should be PQd to me.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

I agree, it should be humorman. He seems to be one of the least stupid people around.
That is because he traded his stupidity center for a bigger jerk center.

I don't even know why you even bothered running.

After you called everyone in the game F-ing morons, I would be surprised if you were even voted for.

Yeah, I said that when I told everyone they kept falling for the same mistakes in the last four games. Then, everyone ignored me and called ME the moron. What happened after that, well… you all know.

The point is that even though I was jerk, I WAS RIGHT. This is mafia. People can be nice just to end up tricking you in the end. I was a jerk, but I was genuinely trying to help the townies. I KNOW how to play this game; that's why I was RIGHT. If you want a good game, let me be GM. Otherwise, you can run yourself.

Posted at

Humorman I will not hold your past actions against you and as your the only canidate right now your in the lead for my vote ;D

Posted at

Just a reminder. I'm not be accepting any votes as of yet. This topic is still new and I'm waiting for other applicants. I will let you know when it's time to vote. Kinda stupid to hold an election when there's only one candidate right?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I may not have a scanner of photo editing software but I have internet!

If I were GM (again):

- I would run the theme of reverse mafia that I have been sitting on since game one. It is generally the same as classic mafia, but the roles are a bit reversed. The theme would revolve around a mafia that has taken over a town and a special ops team has been sent in the rip it assunder. The roles would all be the same, but the names would be changed. For example: The mayor would be called the Godfather and the Godfather would be called the Special Ops Team Leader.

- Cycles will end at 6pm CST or 2am GMT. I will take a vote whether they should be 48/24 or just 24/24.

Clues are bolded explaination is below:

Product Placement was returning home from a wonderful day of stabbing, looting, and obtaining protection money. These are the sort of events that are best shared with a friend. As he continued his nightly stroll, he could have sworn that he saw movement in the corner of his eyes. He turned quickly but there was nothing there. “Things should never change around here,” he reassured himself. Why should a harden member of the mob be afraid of shadows? That was absolutely ridiculous. He turned around and there was somebody before him. “Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?”

“I’m merely a reversal.”
The figure quickly leaped on Product Placement’s back. In his hands was a rope that was already tied into a noose. It wasn’t long before Product Placement was overcome and sent to the next life.

Product Placement the mafia underling is dead.

Clue explaination:

- Taken from the fact that I do two comics with Ochi. Also DDM is a community project, so I'm sharing it.
- If you hit refresh, my Mystery Bread Banner changes.
- (Currently) Ochi and I have similar avatars. The key difference is the dirction that they are facing.

That was a first kill sample. As the game goes on my clues begin to become more blatent.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

OKAY, THIS TIME. THIS. TIME. I WILL VOTE.

>_>

waff
waff
Posted at

well I want to test a role or 2 but I'm not sure I'd be a good gm. Is it ok if I pq them to whomever wins the election for they're discrimination?

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Yeah, I said that when I told everyone they kept falling for the same mistakes in the last four games. Then, everyone ignored me and called ME the moron. What happened after that, well… you all know.

Check again. The first person to use the word moron or any kind of insult was you. First you complained about being ignored, and after some QQ replies, you had your moment, where you insulted everyone who's ever played the game despite the mafia only winning half of the games.

Knowing how to play the game involves not alienating the other players. Your first post in the game opened with you listing parts of the game you hate and complaints about how previous games have went, and you wonder why you lost.

I'm not holding a grudge though, and I'm going to cast my vote depending on the campaigns in this thread. In the spirit of which, you said virtually the same rules and roles as the first game. What differences will there be (for people like me who weren't in the first game).

gullas
gullas
Posted at

Stuff

You would have my vote if you'd run a theme based mafia, though regular mafia is fun too.

Posted at

Niccea I'm a little confused about Reverse Mafia. Does everyone have the killing power?

Posted at

I KNOW how to play this game; that's why I was RIGHT.
You WERE right! And I voted for ya 'cause you were right!* :)

I'd like to know if this time you are considering taking the hits chronologically as we've been doing for a while, or if you're going to do what you did last time. I'd also like to know what you intend to do with the paranoid role description this time.

*as mayor in mafia VI, in case it was not obvious, because voting for GM is not yet open.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

I KNOW how to play this game; that's why I was RIGHT.
You WERE right! And I voted for ya 'cause you were right! :)

I'd like to know if this time you are considering taking the hits chronologically as we've been doing for a while, or if you're going to do what you did last time. I'd also like to know what you intend to do with the paranoid role description this time.

Well, since it's like the first game, hits will be delivered chronologically. The paranoid will know who he is, and will kill anyone who attacks him at night or a paramedic if he attempts to protect him at night.

Posted at

The reason why I decided that the paranoid should be unaware of his role was twofold.
1. Many people with mental disorders are not aware of their own disorders.
2. Most of the time the paranoid reveals his role to the mayor or whoever is organizing the group, allowing the town to work around him and possibly the mafia if they also find out. Making him secret makes him more of a wild card.

Posted at

No worries, Product Placement, I wasn't dissing your paranoid role!

I was asking because I seem to recall that in Humorman's Mafia II, the paranoid killed whomever targeted him at night - but it failed if two people attacked him at once, and rather than killing anyone he simply died. I don't recall it being thus in the first game, so I was wondering if it would still be the case.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Niccea I'm a little confused about Reverse Mafia. Does everyone have the killing power?
No. I said that it will be fundamentally the same as classic, but the role names would change.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

The reason why I decided that the paranoid should be unaware of his role was twofold.
1. Many people with mental disorders are not aware of their own disorders.
2. Most of the time the paranoid reveals his role to the mayor or whoever is organizing the group, allowing the town to work around him and possibly the mafia if they also find out. Making him secret makes him more of a wild card.

Ochi and I had a decent length PQ discussion about how we could possibly win, and it involved me drawing enough attention to make the mob think I was mafia. We both thought it would epically hilarious if I turned out to be the paranoid.

You sir, made my week.

On an unrelated note, Humor's got my vote if he turns up the violence a bit :) .

Posted at

Ochi and I had a decent length PQ discussion about how we could possibly win, and it involved me drawing enough attention to make the mob think I was mafia. We both thought it would epically hilarious if I turned out to be the paranoid.

You sir, made my week.
Originally, it was Mister Kent that was supposed to be the Paranoid. However, since Harkovast joined the game late (after I had dished out all the roles) I decided to re-randomize the paranoid and bodyguard roles so that he would have at least a slight chance of being something other then a townie. Thanks to Harkovast, you ended up getting the paranoid role instead.

P.S. You have no idea how appropriate I found it, with your current avatar, since I pictured the paranoid as some sort of insane war veteran.

Posted at

All right. I'm opening for votes now. Seems like these are our only two candidates for now.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

There! I vote this time! I'm so proud of myself. :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.