Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

STOP THE FIGHTING OR I'LL….PINCH YOU!
I almost think this is really going to go no where…(Unless you want to take it to the debate thread and see how far you can take it.) Ads are good for money, but over-obtrusive ads are bad and may scare people away. I think we all agree on those two things in some form or another.

I personally think all of you are freaking out a little too much if you are all just referring to the one new ad on the templates…or I guess you're referring to all of the new ones…I don't know.

I do hope another alternative or a better spot is found for the template ad (my suggestion no goody?) or even some of the other ones if they can find a way to pull it out their butts…but I don't think angry mobs should start cropping up until you have to scroll down a whole lot just to see your comic page or you're going blind from flashing lights.

………

……or just ignore me and carry on. ^^;

Dregs
Dregs
Posted at

So how much money do you pay to rent your site here at DD? I mean yeah it is outrageous that I pay all this money for my free web comic hosting and the owners of the site have this ludicrous idea that a business venture should be profitable to them.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Which is why it was a joke. Heavens do I need to make it obvious THREE times now. Of course it's not a good comparison! It's a lousy one. I was just playing along if he was going to take things out of context.

Real estate is a funny thing to call it, because it doesn't compare exactly. However, the point about people choosing a host and being turned off by ads holds true. Just not as severe. I'm only pandering to my joke being taken seriously.

Man, I am going to eat my own face. (THAT IS A JOKE/EXAGERRATION TOO DON'T CALL 911!)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Heed Sarah's words!
Please people tone down the rhetoric, or any point to your posts will be lost amidst the ranting.
Keep it short and to the point!
This discussion is about the placement of the adds on user's templates under their comics. Nothing else.
Examples are useful for making points but please don't get carried away.

Sam and Nick, I get what you're saying, but this is just turning into a useless debate between both of you that could be better handled through private PQs. I'm asking you both to take it down a notch please. You've both had your say, now if you can't keep any further posts to a single 5 line paragraph each then you're probably saying too much and just repeating yourselves.

So how much money do you pay to rent your site here at DD?
I understand you may not have been around here long Dregs, but DD isn't that kind of place. This was a non-profit site for many years, Volte built the community and he and the community made it what it is, not a business. OK? This is why many users feel as they do, so it's not fair or accurate to criticise them on that point.
-DD's recent slick new phase however is due to to all the lovely Platinum input and for that we're thankful. :)

This is a debate with two sides…
So, Sam, Sarah, Lefarce, Silent Kitty, Eviltwinpixie (and more), you're all mainly upset about the placement of the add. From now on could you please post about alternative placements you think would be a good compromise?
Bear in mind that unless it's as attractive as the current placement it's not an option.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I think the first placement was fine. One at the top and one at the bottom. But I suppose if it's too far down, under the coment box would be good. Those who comment will pretty much have to see it, but it won't be in the way.

marine
marine
Posted at

So, Sam, Sarah, Lefarce, Silent Kitty, Eviltwinpixie (and more), you're all mainly upset about the placement of the add. From now on could you please post about alternative placements you think would be a good compromise?

How about comics like gods of the arr whatever and hero by night have links to my comics that have content on it that they don't approve of? Not even me, how about LeFarce or Detectivefork?

Although I am considering trying out the EVE online thing, especially if I can find a private server to play it on. It looks rather cool.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

From now on could you please post about alternative placements you think would be a good compromise?
Bear in mind that unless it's as attractive as the current placement it's not an option.
I actually did give a suggestion in an earlier post…little snippet of that post here:
This probably has been mentioned before…but for the new template ad, couldn't that be placed at the very bottom of the page instead of under the comic? Like under or above the black block with the DD links?

Though I don't know how attractive it would look….but yeah, that's all I got ideas wise…and it looks to have been suggested before….so…..I'm done. :kitty:

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

This probably has been mentioned before…but for the new template ad, couldn't that be placed at the very bottom of the page instead of under the comic? Like under or above the black block with the DD links?
Not so good I'm afraid Sarah, we already had a placement there and have given it up in favour of this new one. Any suggestion has to be as favourable in positioning (to advertisers) and the one under the comic.

Kali
Kali
Posted at

On this subject (and despite my bad history with them), I have to agree with Lefarce on this. If people wanted to find this merchandise that is being offered they would more than likely google it. Or look at the top top or bottom of pages. Where the adverts are now, they're pratically being shoved down our throats. Can at least the WoW and flirt-o-matic be removed?

suzi
suzi
Posted at

What about directly under the navigation buttons? That's still very "center of the page", especially if there are comments to read, and it gives a spacer between what the author's put up and what the community reaction is. A much more natural separation for an ad, in my opinion, without really moving it out of prominence.

Edit: I seem to have forgotten that the location of the nav. buttons are different between comics. I guess what I basically mean is "under the author's notes", or perhaps, "above the comments".

Posted at

Ozone:

As I said in my last post to Nick, I'm not responding to him any more. I think my points have been made quite clear, and I see no reason to continue saying the same thing. You will be getting no more debate from me. :)

Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

What about directly under the navigation buttons? That's still very "center of the page", especially if there are comments to read, and it gives a spacer between what the author's put up and what the community reaction is. A much more natural separation for an ad, in my opinion, without really moving it out of prominence.

I'm with Suzi there. My biggest complaint is that it's between the page and the page navigation. Nearly everyone scrolls down enough to see the navigation…so wouldn't they also see the ad placed underneath?

Kali
Kali
Posted at

Yes I know what you mean. I accidently hit the "Hero at night" banner or whatever it's called. No offence to the author but I don't want to read it. I also don't want to worry about trying to hit the navigation bar and missing and ending up on a comic which is already in the top 5 or some dating advert.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

On some comics, the placement doesn't bother me, but it does seem to mess up others (in terms of layout). Actually, when it first appeared, I didn't notice it, but as I read some of my favorites, it was a bit of an eyesore. (Especially for a short time when the page would load only to the "sponser block" and then freeze for a long time…)

I agree that under the navigation buttons or under the author comments would be better, and at least add some space between the art and the adverts. People will see it there for sure. It would only be moved down an inch.

My other thought is I wonder if it would be possible for users to have an option between a banner or a tower ad (like beside the author comments or beside the comic itself if it is a "thin" one), to fit their layout. There could be a little radio button to select banner or tower when choosing layouts. It might not be possible, but, eh, worth mentioning the idea. Since one of the big problems is the sponser ads skewing page layouts.

Posted at

Well.. my concern with it being moved now is that not only will we have a big flashing ad in the middle of our page, it will be a big flashing ad with an unmovable white or grey border around it. At the moment, the border is tolerable because it's connected to the "tag this comic" thing under the comic.

If it's moved, could we have the option of changing the background color on it to something that matches our layout more, maybe? Like we have the option with the buttons at the top?

joeychips
joeychips
Posted at

So far I don't mind the ads. If it will keep the site well staffed then that is fine with me. One thing I hope that will continue on DD is to make sure the ads are "G" rated.

Posted at

my page size doesn't scroll down, so i just placed nav buttons on top of my page.

Posted at

Oh, I've just accepted it. That's the life of a starving artist and all.

But, on/off topic a bit. It's ads. Not "adds." At least in American English. Is it different in other parts of the world? I mean maybe my, I'll just say numerous degrees (all of which are in fields of: English, and Literature (Except one in theatre and one in Geology, and two in education.) that I've never encountered an instance where "adds" was an acceptable substitute for "ads." It's buggin' the bejezus out of me. (Mainly that one dude that was all like…I have so and so degrees in marketing; but kept using "adds." ) But, I could be wrong, I don't think so…But, I could be.

I do like the idea about having the "Sponsor" bar under the comic say DD Sponsor. Especially when that get's sold. 'Cause there are some things that do turn the stomach that are advertised here. Big Love's pologamy and the crass dating ads get me, personally. But if it clearly said, DD Sponsor…Then our readers wouldn't assume the "sponsor" was our comic's "sponsor" instead of the hosting sites "sponsor." (Say, "sponsor" one more Godd@mn time. Sorry, just watched Pulp Fiction.)

Now, I'm really gonna' try not to post in here again. Peace!

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

But, on/off topic a bit. It's ads. Not "adds." At least in American English. Is it different in other parts of the world? I mean maybe my, I'll just say numerous degrees (all of which are in fields of: English, and Literature (Except one in theatre and one in Geology, and two in education.) that I've never encountered an instance where "adds" was an acceptable substitute for "ads." It's buggin' the bejezus out of me. (Mainly that one dude that was all like…I have so and so degrees in marketing; but kept using "adds." ) But, I could be wrong, I don't think so…But, I could be.
The way I understand it, if you are using the short form of the word "Advertisement", then "Ads" is correct. however, If you are just explaining this "addition" to the comic page, then "Adds" may be acceptable.

Posted at

The way I understand it, if you are using the short form of the word "Advertisement", then "Ads" is correct. however, If you are just explaining this "addition" to the comic page, then "Adds" may be acceptable.

Right.

It didn't occur to me that some people might be using "adds" to mean "additions" makes sense though.

Posted at

I love you D.D.
But ads directly under our comic pages is just not nice.
I don't mind it on my profile page, really. Although it would be a lot nicer if it was under the "Forum Topics Started" instead of under the "About Yourself".

I understand that you need the ads to pay for all this fancy snizzle, and that's fine, but find better places to put them.

…Semi related: I don't like WOW.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

All would be good in the hood if we got that old handy <—[640X400]—!> tag that was featured in the older versions of the Duck. It still includes the ad, but at least it would give us some sort of freedom as to where to put it instead of being shunned with that noscript ad banner stuff.

Posted at

I got my archive section built today at my own site.
I am happy with it.
Thanks for the motivation!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.