Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Well, it looks like my comment was left flailing in the wind. One of the drawbacks of having one of the last posts on the previous page, I guess.

Well, I'm gonna repeat myself now. Please stop the hateful attacks at each other. People have right to complain but complaints can be taken too far. And responding to them in a hateful manner is just going to make everyone more pissed off and sour the mood even more so.

Seriously though, this is some of the most depressing and off-putting mod and admin behavior I have ever seen in a website. And that's saying something.
Sadly, I'm going to have to partially agree a little on that one. Skoolmunkee is excluded of course. She's been a star in all of this.
It sounds like little could have been done from your side, aside from choosing a different server host (and I would hope that alternative is being actively considered).
This has already been done, according to the first tech blog about this incident.

vidihawk
vidihawk
Posted at

Oops. Apologies. I was trying to keep a civil, even friendly tone. That was a detail I missed from the newsposts.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

I can only be thankful that the foregoing confrontations were via internet and not in person, although if in person maybe folks would not be as blunt.

Not having many pages, please do not read the following as a complaint, but only a curiosity. Last night, when I saw the "What you need to do" forum, I checked and all of my comic images were there, although the web design was gone along with the design's supporting files. So I re-uploaded the supporting files and changed the raw html and everything seemed right as rain.

This morning the html is as corrected last night, but the comic images since 13 Jan that were showing up last night are now missing. It will take maybe 15 mins to re-upload those, so no big deal. I am very grateful that that's all I have to do because I HAVE back-ups of the stuff I've made, but losing the few comments was a sad contemplation, and happily, a short-lived condition.

My concern/question is: How did the comic images show up last night when they weren't suppose to?

I know there's many more pressing issues at the moment, but maybe anomalies can help with diagnostics if they're looked at.

Posted at

And I thank you two because, being the main mods and the liaisons, you guys are probably two of the first people that get the heat ^^;

We get it pretty easy really, most DDers know that we have nothing to do with the backend operation of the site. We're just liasons most of the time, occasionally trying to put out fires. :] But thank you!

Well, it looks like my comment was left flailing in the wind.

Skoolmunkee is excluded of course. She's been a star in all of this.

But people had calmed down, really. I mean, by the time I came on and posted. (I've had my stress meltdowns too btw.) ;]

There are still things being fixed and we (mostly Oz) is passing those along. I believe Lawrence has pulled an all-nighter.

Posted at

I'm not gonna forgive so easily.

I don't think it should have happened at all.
There is really no way to have prevented this.
our HOST- NOTHING TO DO WITH WOWIO- lost our entire site.
Wasn't blaming just still very irritated that IT happened, whoever's fault it was.

Ozoneocean: Bringing the hammer down on all of us rebels.

(And Niccea and Skool didn't do too bad a job themselves :P )

Who's the good Admins/Mods, you are!

Sorry. Last image. And complaint/post

(just so you know I was supporting you guys. I saw TW's post below this and thought-SHIT they think I'm against them and I'd rather not get banned for that…)

Posted at

I for one NEVER blamed the admins or mods… they have absolutely nothing to do with the problems, they're the public face of DD, but that's all.

But, the Wowio guy in his tech blog DID say the problem was that THEY didn't have proper backup for the site, and that THEY were never going to let that happen again. So, that sounds to me like he is acknowledging that it WAS Wowio's mistake… regardless of what server screwed up. And that's the end of it for me. We can move on now and hopefully the site will be a better place.

I've noticed that after the big repairs earlier today that the site is much faster. So, if the Wowio guy gets the blame, he also gets the credit. Good job, and thanks for the hard work.

I know it wasn't specifically the one guy who was responsible, it was the whole team in charge (and with the change of ownership, things get missed until they become problems), but the guy in front gets hit with the most arrows :-)

Posted at

@ayesinback: If you had looked at your comic earlier then the images may have been in your cache and that is why they appeared. That's about all I can think of :P

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Lefarce, even you have to admit that you've set a precedent that makes it hard for anyone to take you seriously.

If someone is too dumb to understand when I'm being serious or facetious, that's their own damn problem.

Swaygazer
Swaygazer
Posted at

Thankfully someone was keeping some sort of backup of the site, incomplete as it may have been. The situation could have been MUCH worse, and thus far it appears that a great deal has been salvaged. Having to re-upload images is far more favorable than having to start again from scratch. Inconvenient? Perhaps…but I'd rather have to do that than re-upload the images PLUS rework the layout details and be sans all of the comments from guests over the life of the strip.

Tensions are a little high right now, but the staff has said that they're doing what they can about all of this. Take some time to cool off, calm down, and hang in there. These are good people who have been around the site for a long time, and the community is a valuable resource worth sticking around for.

DD will make it through. :)

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

@JustNoPoint

Thanks - your explanation is very likely. Between an 8-year old PC and poor DD, I'm never quite sure what mixing the two will create.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.