Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
CORY
CORY
Posted at

To me they just look like stuff thats been resized in photoshop.

This is EXACTLY what I was saying to T_K over AIM (or some shitty IM service) and I guess he took offence to it.

He told me he drew every color, and made it look like that.

For the purposes of this competition, a sprite is something that has been created using a pixel art meathod. Thats what creates the blocky look synoumous with sprite comics.

This isn't the best example of KC's... but I never found any of his old "Block/paint-art" to look like sprite comics.

However… there is always an argument against how many blocks you can have in a line to make it look like a sprite. For example: Can I just draw with the pencil tool in Photoshop and say I drew it pixel-by-pixel can call it a sprite comic?

I just concider that a plain, old, drawing comic… but some people here seem to disagree?

Rianeva
Rianeva
Posted at

I'm definitely in; here's what I have so far. I'd add my thoughts on the whole "what is a sprite" thing, but I'm too tired to formulate them understandably right now. =p

T_K
T_K
Posted at

uh…. what now? you can honestly kick me out for all I care.. I'm just doing what randal told me were sprites… I dont DRAW them in paint, what I draw looks way better… I click it up pixel by pixel… and its boring… and I acctually do have a sheet of some sort but its just like all the stupid jack sprites I've made so far on a transperant bg so I can jut put em where I want.

but if I gotta make new ones I'm out.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

You know, a lot of game companies scale down art to make sprites. It's not like they HAVE to be built pixel by pixel, like Legos. But the key feature is that they can't have that blending around the edges. That wouldn't look right in a game.

But you guys are arguing over how lumpy tapioca should be, and it's still pudding.

…or some better metaphor.

T_K
T_K
Posted at

I never liked Pudding I do not know why… besides if anyone wants to help me please do contact me on AIM MSN or YAHOO… I'd appriciate some help.

some help at learning how to be hated by all people who draw.

Titch
Titch
Posted at

uh…. what now? you can honestly kick me out for all I care.. I'm just doing what randal told me were sprites… I dont DRAW them in paint, what I draw looks way better… I click it up pixel by pixel… and its boring… and I acctually do have a sheet of some sort but its just like all the stupid jack sprites I've made so far on a transperant bg so I can jut put em where I want.

but if I gotta make new ones I'm out.

What you got ignores practicaly every dissaplin of making sprites. On the other hand, Randal didn't bother to define 'exactly' what he meant by sprite comic, if you want to be a pedant about it, you met the origional rules because they where so vauge. Arguebly your entry is valid, it's just that your sprites suck.

I have two words for you, that defines why what your sprites fail as sprites. They are "Thick Outlines". I defy anyone to show me proffesional sprites at thier origonal drawn size with outlines thicker than two pixels, at worst. Hell most sprites skimp on the black because they need to hold it off to show contrast where the creator is trying to make up for a lack of resolution. It's a waste of pixels.

I'll apologise in advance for the poor quality, I whipped it up for the purposes of exposing exactly how much you have covered up by making the edges so freaking thick. You can see from the trace on the left that it's a direct conversion from the origional "sprite" but now you have a neck, problems with things looking off centre, theres also a gap where his hair sticks out around the shoulder.

The sad thing is, the design you came up with would have fitted like a glove for the purposes of a sprite comic

Plenty of SNES games had edge blended sprites, so… pwnt.

Wrong again. The SNES had anti-aliasing effects and algorithms that it could apply to sprites. The sprites had to be drawn aliased to start off with though.

You know, a lot of game companies scale down art to make sprites. It's not like they HAVE to be built pixel by pixel, like Legos. But the key feature is that they can't have that blending around the edges. That wouldn't look right in a game.

*nods*

A lot of Capcoms sprites stared out life as drawings. Nothing wrong with that… hell, thats what I did with TK's sprite. They still have to aliased by hand though, and details have to be fixed to look clear and your still supposed to be keeping the colour count down, thats the stuff that needs finesse.

You know what, I'm getting tired of this cemantics debate. It's only happening because Randal didn't bother to define what a sprite was down to the last detail, and TK is a pedant trying to exploit that.

This isn't the best example of KC's… but I never found any of his old "Block/paint-art" to look like sprite comics.

They would fall down under the catagory that you couldn't take them out and dump them over another background easily. Too many hanging pixels on those outer lines.

T_K
T_K
Posted at

thanks titch but about the neck thing he did acctually have a neck its just he has a huge collar, the reason for that is that he is the son of death and he comes from hell, so Earth would be rather cold, basic concept from little nicky, couse it just makes sense!

Titch
Titch
Posted at

thanks titch but about the neck thing he did acctually have a neck its just he has a huge collar, the reason for that is that he is the son of death and he comes from hell, so Earth would be rather cold, basic concept from little nicky, couse it just makes sense!

Yeah, but the point is, if you enlarge to collar on the pixel art, it looks like he has no neck, and it looks odd. I like the desings, it's kinda sad they aren't going to see the light of day as "propper" sprites.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

you don't have to start over, TK, but if you're willing to re-work your sprites in a way that Titch explained, then that's cool. all you really have to do is resize them to be about 50x100 or something insanely small like that. then fix the lines the way he showed you. but I think you're refering to not wanting to do your pages that are already done.

If the others feel you've found a loophole but are fine with it, then i'm not going to make you start over.

The next time this contest is ran though, somebody will help me go over the rules who is more familiar with sprites so that they are more clear to the contestants. In the future, they will have to follow more strict guidelines.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

The official due date is March 18th, 2006…

It'll be here sooner than you think.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

the deadline is still the same, that is… if people are still making thier submissions… however, the judging and prizes will be delayed as two days after the contest ends, I will be two states away from home for seven weeks for some OJT. So far, i think the only person who's finished is Marine… Who may just win by default.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

Don't know if I'll make it.

Riverghost
Riverghost
Posted at

Well I'm certainly not going to get this done. Finishing off my college work has meant I haven't even had time to update my main comic.

marine
marine
Posted at

I just started updating my sprite comic again. Its far from finished. I doubt even the longest most drawn out Bob & George story could equal the drama of Arararas.

So did I win this or what?

Titch
Titch
Posted at

Couldn't finish before I left for Canada, no computer in canada. QED not going to finish. :(

Posted at

is this thing still going i want to join

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

is this thing still going i want to join
Oh, dear Gods.

Posted at

this is a year old topic

if you wanna start another one start it in networking…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.