Moonlight meanderer
herio
herio
Posted at

it stuck in my head and i what it to get out

Duck
Duck
Posted at

started out cause I was bored, then I started to like it. Then I got addicted.

kaminari
kaminari
Posted at

Ever since I was a little girl, I would draw characters to go with stories Id imagine. I never drew them in comic form or write the stories down though. I just drew the characters… Now I have so many characters and so many detailed, developed stories that I cant seem to keep them from wanting their own comic ever since I started doing them.

Also, I discovered that a guy I like, whom Ive always shared my art and stories with, was really interested in my comic work after I did a short lived comic with a friend, and so I got inspired to make something he'd enjoy to read (i.e. impress him). He would talk often about drunkduck and one day, I decided to post it here and thanks to some other interest, I decided it was a good choice.
Now, I cant stop and cant wait to get other stories out here.

(Ive also curbed my expensive anime cel-buying habit through comics)

Posted at

When I was little, my first "comic" experience was a strip my brother used to draw. It was simple, stick-figure-like, but it was funny. When I got to 7th grade, I realized I liked drawing as much as I did writing. The thing is, I never tried to improve, I just drew one small section and one pose and nothing else.

In 9th grade, I made friends who were also into drawing. With them, I'd get tips on how to improve. In 10th, I met someone who loved to draw even more than I did, and by that point I was starting to improve. After drawing back and forth with her on a comic that had been absolutely fun to make, I'd improved quite a bit(trust me, I used to be a LOT worse than I am now).

After graduating high school, I drew regularly, either inventing characters or coming up with stories that I drew out in comic form. I never did backgrounds until recently, though, a fact that I regret while shuddering at my unacceptably…SIMPLE backgrounds. I'm still developing my style and storywriting, which is one of my reasons for doing comics.

I suppose, overall, my reasons are that I enjoy drawing and writing storylines, I have a sense of community attached to drawing, and I want to improve my drawing ability, both through personal discoveries and from constructive criticism.

…^^; I'm really glad for The Duck. The community here is just what I need to improve.

Posted at

To tell a story, no more, no less.

I used to have asperatios of being famous, or being an internet celebrisy, but those have passed. I"m strictly an ammature artist, I'm not getting paid to draw anymore. I just want to have fun, make pretty pictures, put them into a story, and show it to people.

Well, that and I need some way to amuse my drunken mind at 4 am.

Posted at

cause im a slave to my imagination and reality gets boring. gotta escape or die trying… :D

Geejay
Geejay
Posted at

I've always liked drawing since I was kid. In 2001, I migrated to a different country, in a city that is not what you would call metropolitan. I got bored so it got me inspired to make a comic to pass the time and to improve my art skills.

But, at the time, I wasn't too confident with the art skills I had so I wanted to do a dummy comic first. Something that is easy to do and which I hadn't intended to draw for a long time. I decided on going for a comic about something I love: Dungeons and Dragons. I already had the characters and setting from my old notes when I used to be the Dungeon Master of my D&D group. I also thought I could target the fantasy gaming audience and get feedback from them. There weren't a lot of serious fantasy webcomics back then.

And now, a few years later, I'm still stuck drawing that same comic. I never got to do a different ongoing comic. But of course I keep hoping to do so some time in the future.

The short answer is: I was bored and I wanted to improve my art skills. :P

Titch
Titch
Posted at

Because I can't stop, I won't stop, I don't even know how to stop…

And that's the truth.

I tried to put my comic behind me 6 months ago. The danm thing caught up with me again. Now I spend way too much time at home, fiddling with my computer, trying to work out how I'm going to create it without all the tools I had when I lived in england.

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

Because I am an Attention Whore.

Ian Jay
Ian Jay
Posted at

gotta escape or die trying… :D

Too true, my friend. Too true.

The main reason I got into webcomics was that I used to be an avid webcomics reader. I'd look at every webcomic I could find, searching frantically for "The Next Big Thing".

And you know what? Most of the comics I found out there really sucked.

This wasn't always an overt fact, though. Sometimes an artist's failure was pretty obvious– some indecipherable violence-obsessed piece scrawled in MSPaint– but not always. Other times I'd read through three or four years of archives of a comic I initially thought was great, only to exclaim, "What? That was it?"

It wasn't long before I got the idea into my head of making a webcomic of my own, one that would pave the way for a glorious new generation of webcomics artists (as well as thumb a metaphorical nose at the webcomics artists of the past). I would make it fresh, hip, colorful, smart, and innovative, and I would deliver it fresh every week. No-one would be able to resist it!

A year and a half later, though… the crazy dreamer part of me is screaming, "Where is my shower of critical and popular acclaim?!?", while the cynical part of me is saying, "I told you so. You're only fooling yourself if you think this whole 'webcomics' thing will be anything more than a teenage hobby. Hell, you aren't even good at drawing!" I read about how other webcomic artists waited three, four, even six years before they became famous, and I feel despondent. This is America! I want my wishes gratified now, dang it!

Still, even if I knew I would never see fame, I'd still keep cranking out TEO. You know why? Because I have to tell the story. I've turned on a faucet somewhere in my mind that keeps pouring out ideas for this bizarre tale about a rock band that travels across universes and gets into all this weird postmodernist crap, and I can't turn it off. I've just got to keep writing it until the story's done. And once it's done, who knows? Maybe I will be famous. Maybe I won't be famous, but I'll still keep making comics and chasing the dream. Maybe I'll put down comics altogether and become a "serious" writer. Whatever the outcome, I've decided to keep focus on the here and now– and right now, I've got to keep writing and drawing TEO. Besides, I do have a few fans to think about.

~IJ

Anatak
Anatak
Posted at

Because I enjoy thinking up stories/characters, telling stories, and love to draw. Seemed kinda obvious to work on a comic. :)

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Man, I was sitting here, thinking, I do comics for the money, the girls, the cars, and the power, but I remembered, there is no need to lie. I get plently of that already. :P

(no, not really. in fact, a robot thinks I'm gay.)

I do comics because I can draw, I have a scanner, and I have DrunkDuck.

Wouldn't you?

.: Myxomatosis :.

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

I've turned on a faucet somewhere in my mind that keeps pouring out ideas for this bizarre tale about a rock band that travels across universes and gets into all this weird postmodernist crap, and I can't turn it off. I've just got to keep writing it until the story's done. And once it's done, who knows? Maybe I will be famous. Maybe I won't be famous, but I'll still keep making comics and chasing the dream. Maybe I'll put down comics altogether and become a "serious" writer. Whatever the outcome, I've decided to keep focus on the here and now– and right now, I've got to keep writing and drawing TEO. Besides, I do have a few fans to think about.
~IJ

So true!
I started Soapbox Hill on a whim and with the intention of using it as "practice" for bigger things. Since then I've learned alot about comics includeing "I'm not willing to let this thing die". I have two story arcs planned after I finally finish the one I'm on, and once I get finished with it I"m sure I'll have two more. It's like Ian's Mind Faucet, broke the nob on it and cant turn it off…maybe with some plyers… Every so often my water pressure goes low though, and I gotta kink the hose and let it build back up…figuratively.

Anywho, I started my comics to learn, improve, and blow off steam.

Ian Jay
Ian Jay
Posted at

It's like Ian's Mind Faucet, broke the nob on it and cant turn it off…maybe with some pliers… Every so often my water pressure goes low though, and I gotta kink the hose and let it build back up…figuratively.

Extension of the metaphor = way rad.

~IJ

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I started doin comics because I needed an outlet for all the built up anger I had.

Teenage years werent so nice for me… and the feeling that I've been cheated out of life… were prevalent and it made me one pissed off teenager. Yeah I needed an outlet that is constructive… instead of doing drugs or vandalism//arson//shooting up//suicide bombing of the school or getting into trouble with the law and all that shit.

Well… 5 years it has been… 2001-present… for me in the webcomics world. I've made friends as well as enemies. Some people liked my rantings and pent up anger that was sprawled all over my comics and on the webpage itself and the author's nots… and some people hated it and just told me to shut the fuck up and die… got called a fag… got called an emo… and every insult in the book.

And now… I'm not as angry as I used to be. I'm at the "acceptance" stage already. Ya know… things have a cycle… Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Acceptance…

I'm just doin it for fun now… and to continue my "legacy" and relationship with the fans I currently have… expecially those who've followed Brood Knight from the early years when they were done in MS paint and inked with a ballpoint pen.

Titch
Titch
Posted at

I do comics because I can draw, I have a scanner, and I have DrunkDuck.

Wouldn't you?

I can't draw, don't own a scanner, and I don't have drunk duck at home. That doesn't stop ME.

Posted at

Hmm… biggest reason I make my comic is to occupy my time… it's kind of like a hobby, now… thinking up funny junk like I do.

Why a sprite comic?

Meh… when I started the comic, I was a horrible artist. I still kinda am… but not when I'm just… drawing something. I tried to draw a comic and it looked terrible >_< But some of my artwork is pretty cool lookin' :D

That gave me an idea… I need to upload the other stuff I drew… I'd need a scanner first, though o.o

(I sure do ramble on a lot >>)

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

I've always been making comics. Ever since I was about 4, I believe (albeit those comics were stick figures of a guy walking through a desert, but still) I enjoy sequencial art. I suppose that's really the only reason I'm making comics.

I like drawing and this is how I do it.

Posted at

Because I love my story and it isn't really one that can be easily written, one that is more easily explained through pictures. Also, comics usually get more activity and page views than a normal story would, and hey, I want the best for my comic. ^^''

Posted at

The three F's.

Fame: 'I want to be famous and be respected."
Fun: "I enjoy doing this, it's a hobby."
Following: "That's looks cool, I'd like to try and see if I can do stuff like that."

That…that pretty much sums it up. Psh, we don't need a thread for this-it's all in the quote.

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

I like to bring smiles on other people's face when they appreciate reading my comics. Not for fame, fortune, or whatever.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Call me a sucker for comics.

I first read Garfield when I was 7, and having been reading other good ones since then(Calvin and Hobbes, The far side, etc.). I've always had this idea of being a syndicated cartoonist in my mind, so I started my comic to get better with my writing.

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

To express myself, for instance i only draw the leech comic when im angry

China bot when hyper

And Psycho Projects when im drunk

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.