Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Orion13
Orion13
Posted at

Guys, I'm pretty new here and it looks like I came in at the wrong time completely. I don't know Platinum or Dylan or a lot of the other players behind the scenes, but I know the comics I see on here and I like what I read and plan to stick around for a long time. One thing I can't understand is exactly why some folks are talking about leaving this place. I understand that the corporatization of things is a little scary, believe me I'm a staunch Libertarian, but what exactly are the things that you don't like about the changes that have been made? Overall, they seem pretty positive and they even seem willing to adjust to things that we don't like quite quickly. I'm not a creator here, just a fan and I'm trying to wrap my brain around the strong reaction everyone seems to be having, as I realize my experience may be a bit different from most people's here.

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

Who knows? Leaving solves no problems at all. Even staying and being an asshole is more productive.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

That made me laugh, mimarin. Thanks.

I think it's mostly the fear of change mixed with a bit of insecurity.

six months from now it won't even be an issue.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Technically I'm only half-leaving. I'm just moving EMD! to ComicGenesis and will continue updating my other comics here (Equinox, EMD!:SC!, Hie Qwalitie).

Posted at

I came when I heard about everything. The only thing keeping me away from drunk duck was the server crashes and the pop-ups and such. I like the community here way better.
My CG page is still my main site, but I'm starting a sister page here now that things are stable.

Posted at

Because change is scary.

Enef
Enef
Posted at

I've said it before and i'll say it again.

Good riddance to those who leave.

Attitudes like that will get them no where in life.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

Because change is scary.

And inevitable. :)

hat
hat
Posted at

This is a horrible change. Upgrade = good, but this downgrade is a disaster.

Posted at

i dont consider this a downgrade but a mainstream upgrade. which is cool.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

As long as the forums get adjusted a little, that's all I care about. I don't mind any of this stuff changing, but considering my comic is on hiatus I don't really have any reason to be angry about how things are changing.

Posted at

And inevitable. :)
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

sandy
sandy
Posted at

I actually think this upgrade is the best thing that could have ever happened to Drunk Duck. I'm not getting any of the popups like I did before and I used to get a lot of them. I know I'm sticking around for a long time. Definitely a big improvement from when I first originally started using Drunk Duck which was I think about two years ago before the first shut down. Then, I moved back into DD as soon as it came back, but yeah, this is waaaaaay better than what we had before. ^^

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

This is a horrible change. Upgrade = good, but this downgrade is a disaster.

Yes, it's horrible that Dylan is now getting paid to do something he loves and gets to spend more time with his family. Those dirty, Platinum Bastards!

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I think he just means the lack of functionality of the forums. But it seems to be getting a little bit better every hour or so. I'm sure they have quite a laundry list of tasks in front of them, but I know they're going to have a forum system that eventually exceeds any free forum system…at least as applied to DD.

isukun
isukun
Posted at

I have no problems with the new site apart from minor gripes. Even those, however, tend to be improvements over the old site. I definitely like putting more emphasis on community. Integrating the forums into the site design is also a huge step up. It encourages authors and artists to become active community members by not forcing them to register again for forum access.

Posted at

Hmm…I guess a reason that a person would leave would be the popularity that the Duck is going to get now. It was already hard for a comic to get any recognition, but that was different on Drunk Duck. The community was smaller, it was easier to get comments and critique on your comic, but now that it's more mainstreamed, more people will join. As a result, it'll become less personified, just another faceless large corporation. It sounds exagerrated, but I'm afraid about that. That all the good comics will just get lost amoung the crappy comics that jumped the bandwagon.

But leaving wont help any of that.

Posted at

I dunno. It might make it more popular, but there seems to be more effort being looked at to try and give better recognition to comics that work hard, make searching more effective so people can find your comic, and more power to customize the look of your part of the site. Bugs are getting fixed. Features are being added, and we don't have to foot the bill.

I'd say thats a pretty good deal.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

I guess I'll be hanging around DD for a bit longer since they have me convinced that they will try and fix everything. The only catch is that I'm just gonna remaster all my earlier pages before I upload them again.

Posted at

Hey, with every upgrade there will be bugs that need working out and think of it this way, if it does become more popular that also means more readers! I try to look on the bright side of things >.>

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

But to suggest that people ditching DD are just afraid of change is misguided at best, disingenuous BS at worst.
We didn't. We suggested that people are ditching DD for the wrong reasons, stemmed from an inaccurate NY Times article, a forum blogger that was woefully uninformed, and a comic that preyed on those fears just for a "laugh".

Would a heads up have been nice? Well, yes. Heck, some Admins didn't even know about it. But due to certain contract negotiations Volte could not say anything, or the whole deal may have fallen through. Look how fast it got out to everywhere in just a few hours after the NY times article.

If DD HADN'T been acquired by Platinum and was still privately owned, who knows what would have happened. I can speculate however, given (repeating) events from the past:

- It would have crashed due to bad hosting problems.
- It would still have annoying pop-unders and noisy flash ads to pay the bills
- Volte would not have had the time to improve ANYTHING.
- People would be complaining louder than they do now.
- After some frustration, he may have even walked away from it. I probably would have.

I can understand why people reacted the way they did, but it's really their loss if they don't give it a chance. Things change, either for the good or bad.

The bottom line for me is that Volte MADE this great, user-friendly place for all of us to play, and it's still here for us to do just that. Some of you may think that you are entitled to something more than you got because you helped it become a success, but tell me how much credit/profits you get from Google and MSN first.

Posted at

Sure Volte made DD for free under his own time and expense but the the CONTENT that drove hits and made DD an assett worth aquiring was provided for free by creators at their own expense. They thought they were taking part in a community and not creating assets for Volte to turn a profit on or for Platinum to profit off of through ad revenue none of which they themselves will ever see. Rightly or wrongly some feel used and that they were sold out.That the "community" was really just a free content pool to be used as a bargaining chip for others' profits. Others simply resent that the so-called "community" was bargained off without ever informing that community. And others simply don't wish to be part of a larger commercial enterprise.

One can make the argument that the creators were also making a profit to begin with through merchandise sales that Volte certainly never got a commisiom on, of course. But to suggest that people ditching DD are just afraid of change is misguided at best, disingenuous BS at worst.

This post shows nothing but complete niavete as to how economics works. Anyone signing up for any free webhosting community, be it drunk duck, or comicgenesis, or deviant art, or myspace, has to be aware that their content is factoring into the overall profitablity of the parent host. In fact I'm sure that little agreement you didn't read but just clicked the "I agree to terms" box instead said something along those lines. It's ridiculous to expect someone to do the full time job of keeping a site like this running without compensation. So the owner keeps the advertising revenue and he even puts some of that money back into the project, to improve it for the people in that community. If you were really all that concerned with someone else making money off of your product you'd've shelled out the 75$ to buy your own website in the first place. If you weren't aware that the guy running the show wasn't doing it for free for shits and giggles then you aren't very bright. I don't see "Drunk Duck is a non-profit organization" posted anywhere on this site, and I never have. So far the biggest changes I've seen from the buy-out is the site's gotten better, and the initial blind hatred for the "big corporations" (and from what i understand in the print comic world, platinum studios is still very much the little guy, they're like a step up from independant publishers.)

If ANYONE is online offering a webcomic to people to read for free its not because they want to be part of a community. It's because they love doing it.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.