Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Vista was suppose to be almost unhackable

Posted at

In this clip, a malicious ANI file is dropped onto the Vista desktop. Explorer crashes and restarts, and crashes and restarts, and crashes and …

Hackers stepped up attacks Friday on computers running some versions of Windows, a day after Microsoft disclosed a hole related to the mouse cursor. Microsoft Corp. sent out a security advisory Thursday warning customers that a vulnerability in ".ani" files - used to change the cursor into an hourglass while a program works, or into a dancing animal or other animation on specially designed Web sites - was allowing hackers to break into computers and install malicious software.

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

great comic on this: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php

but if theres anything I learned from the Titanic, nothing is Un-anything.

Yeah, just to say that something is unbeatable, or unstoppable or anything is just an invitation for someone else to prove you wrong.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

I'll be the first to say I don't know much about computers, but I think I'll stick with my current operating system for a good long time. And possibly invest in a Mac.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

People are calling it a zero day vulnerability, but from what I've read it was discovered in 2005 and simply not addressed. The problem in Vista is just the same as the problem in all Windows versions that use the affected code in IE. Apparently Firefox has some of that code as well.

More a case of people pretending it's a new hack to make it sound exciting… When in reality, it's something more banal.

Still, Microsoft is shitty for ignoring this problem. It exposes how lax they are yet again.

Posted at

That's what Vista looks like? Ugh ugly.

Still, one virus in this amount of time is pretty good, unless there's more and I'm just being thick.

celrena
celrena
Posted at

AH You broke it~! jk jk

I hate Vista…. My work upgraded ONLY my computer to Windows Vista to test drive it. It's not too bad but still I rather have my Windows 2000 back on here before they switched it (Thats pretty bad huh lol). As for the YouTube video… It's Internet Explorer (7 at that) what do you expect?! lol…. Plus aren't some of the new features stolen from Macs?

This weekend my dad bought Windows Vista and I was so trying to talk him out of it. At least wait until they have the first service pack or something. But No he didn't listen…

And ccs1989 you should invest in a MAC lol my co-workers always suggest getting a MAC.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Mac is a bunch of lairpants, too. They say they never had a virus outbreak. HA!

Macro viruses don't rely on the OS but certain software the computer has on it. Also, certain spyware known to attack any operating system with a compatible browser.

Posted at

I don't care how badly Windows bugger up, I'm never going to switch to Macs, I've had very, very nasty experiences with Macs, mostly at college, where they to amount to pretty boxes that are actually full of shite.

But I don't want to turn this thread into a Windows V Apple argument so 'Yeah! Vista sure does suck'.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I don't know if Vista sucks. XP sucked until they upgraded the service pack. But nothing is unhackable, or virus free.

Vista is a lot like XP is some ways. Word of warning though - Vista Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) are totally different than their predecessors. It's almost like learning them all over again.

It's nice to look at, I'll say that. I'm just not willing to abandon a perfectly good OS for that one though. Besides, it is a bigger memory hog than even XP.

I want to see a good OS-Tan though!

Posted at

i like my xp
hell i liked my old windows, but since i couldn't run some programs on it i had to upgrade. i don't want some crazy OS with multiple cubicle windows, i want a simple interface. why would i play around my windows when i can play games instead.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I personally had a little hatred for all OS's up until XP.

I've used 3, 3.11, 95, ME, 2000, NT, and 98. They all sucked for one reason or another. They just couldn't keep up with the times. I'm sure XP will join them soon, though.

Posted at

windows patch has been released to plug up that hole in the mouse cursor ".ani" file
http://www.microsoft.com/security

The Redmond-based software company told customers last Thursday about a vulnerability in ".ani" files, which are used to change the cursor into an hourglass while a program works, or into a dancing animal or other animation on specially designed Web sites. Security experts said the hole was actively being exploited by hackers to install keystroke-logging programs.

Ken Dunham, director of the rapid response team at iDefense, the research division of VeriSign Inc., said a group of Chinese hackers was using the security hole to steal and sell log-ins to the popular "World of Warcraft" multiplayer computer game.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Security experts said the hole was actively being exploited by hackers to install keystroke-logging programs.
With the way Vista works, it's rather unlikely they installed any key loggers on it, or anything else. Maybe they could do trivial stuff like shut it down, but the default permission levels block anyone from installing programs like that… Sorta one of the main points of the whole thing. ;)

All the key logging stuff was probably XP, which had exactly the same flaw.

Posted at

this was talking about both xp and vista

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I know. It's a good idea to point out the distinctions though because people just naturally think one thing affects the other in the same way ;)

Senretsu
Senretsu
Posted at

Vista challenged hackers to find a hole in Vista's programming, they did. And after all this hype about Microsoft finally getting serious about security, Toss in a .ani file and bam, that's all moot.

sandy
sandy
Posted at

This is all the better reason not to jump ahead and buy the latest vista upgrade. Okay, so if the computer comes with it, fine, I'll take it but my computer came with XP and I'm remaining as such until my computer can no longer handle any upgrades. But if it's just a little slow in starting up, that's fine, I can live with that. If it ain't broke don't fix it, that's what I always say.

Posted at

Wow. o__O; So it's true what they say, then?

Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans
And Adware

Man… I hope I get that Apple Mac laptop soon…

sandy
sandy
Posted at

Wow. o__O; So it's true what they say, then?

Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans
And Adware

Man… I hope I get that Apple Mac laptop soon…

Yep. PCs are vulnerable to these things but, this is only if you do not keep up with the antivirus software. If you update your software yearly, and run the live updates periodically you're not apt to have any problems. But if you don't do this then you will have problems.

Posted at

You know, this video stunned me so much I keep telling my friends about it. XDDD!!

Dear God, please let the delivery of an Apple Mac be swift…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.