Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

Mystery + humor + action. I always get hooked into those type of stories easily. Can't say much but that's just my own personal taste.

Posted at

The art is what will make a reader start reading your comic
The writing is what will keep them reading your comic.
(I don't care how great the art is, if the story sucks, I quit reading)

Making sure you don't write a novel in your comic…translation…don't get too wordy. People don't like speech bubbles with more than 25 words (actually my pref is less than that)

Make characters that readers are able to identify with.

Don't have a story that is just confusing. I'm all for creating vivid new lands and alternate worlds…but when you start creating this world in your mind, remember that your audience only sees what is on the paper (or web in this case). Remember to simplify your ideas and communicate them well within the comic.

SIMPLIFYING FOR YOUR READER (some people might go…oh, such blasphemy, but for every reader that you get that wants that over-the-top, confusing web of bullshit, you will have 10 people who like a simple and easy to read comic).

Be on top of your comic. Don't go on hiatus frequently, don't forget to update regularly, and don't make lots of excuses you will lose readership

Don't try to be too original before you are ready. I am all for being the most original artist/comic maker you can be…but I see people always commenting "Its been done before" and "I can't believe its another blah-blah-blah" If you are new to the game, then don't try to reinvent it. Well, at least not yet. Get some experience under your belt, then change the comic world. I see too many noob artists undertaking WAY too much. Learn, network, build your skills, and THEN you can reinvent the wheel.

JillyFoo
JillyFoo
Posted at

I really don't like:
talking heads(just drawn heads or head and shoulder avoiding drawing the rest of the body)

The dialogue should not be written like a book. Comics that have like huge paragraphs of dialogue in every single dialogue bubble are really annoying to read on a computer screen.

hmm. but have you ever conidsered that half the times the head shots might be just to focus on the characters' expressions in response to something that is happening, rather than just simply refusing to draw an character's body?
that way the readers can easily tell what the character is feeling..

as for the dialogue… well, there's times when there's characters sitting around telling stories or explaining something.. or there's background info to get the readers familar with something before the story starts, so that they don't feel left out in the dark or confused.
after all, you just can't rush into an story and leave your readers in the dark. tsk.

Oh yeah head and face shots sometimes for the purpose of expression but not every single panal in a comic without an attempt to draw the body.

When explaining somthing try to keep the dialogue simple or have pictures and examples. An example could be like in Naruto when a character is explaining ninja arts. Not dialogue only.

Posted at

I really don't like:
talking heads(just drawn heads or head and shoulder avoiding drawing the rest of the body)

The dialogue should not be written like a book. Comics that have like huge paragraphs of dialogue in every single dialogue bubble are really annoying to read on a computer screen.

hmm. but have you ever conidsered that half the times the head shots might be just to focus on the characters' expressions in response to something that is happening, rather than just simply refusing to draw an character's body?
that way the readers can easily tell what the character is feeling..

as for the dialogue… well, there's times when there's characters sitting around telling stories or explaining something.. or there's background info to get the readers familar with something before the story starts, so that they don't feel left out in the dark or confused.
after all, you just can't rush into an story and leave your readers in the dark. tsk.

Oh yeah head and face shots sometimes for the purpose of expression but not every single panal in a comic without an attempt to draw the body.

When explaining somthing try to keep the dialogue simple or have pictures and examples. An example could be like in Naruto when a character is explaining ninja arts. Not dialogue only.

yeah, you do have a point there. if there wasn't even a single panel in an comic series where you saw the comic characters' bodies, then yeah I would think the authors were friggin' lazy.
although I haven't came across too many comics that had that going on.

and yeah, having only dialogue would be pretty stupid. might as well as go off write an text story instead of trying to make it be like a webcomic.

Anatak
Anatak
Posted at

Well, for me the first thing I look for is an interesting title… if its interesting I'll click the link heh. After that its art. If the art is nice I'll read the story. If the story is good I'll become a fan. :D

Frail
Frail
Posted at

Story is the most important thing. (And no, I'm not lying. *shifty eyes*)

Art isn't always the big thing. Look at 8-bit Theatre, for instance. That's sprite-ish but everyone seems to love it because of how clever it is.

When approaching a story try to build something unpredictable. The best way to do so is to allow the characters to lead the story. The best way to do that is just to not let yourself get too worked up into going a certain way. A twisty path is harder, granted, to walk than a straight one. But the twistiness makes it all the more fun.

Never do anything you would hate to do. Never let anyone tell you how the story should go.

Take everything slowly. It isn't a race.

All of that advice comes from my belief and can be ignored if wanted. ^___^

Posted at

i try to fit as much of the story on one page. i don't want a long conversation lasting 3 pages.

slow going webcomics are hard for me to read along with jumpy storyline and mismatching pages.

it's a curse with webcomics that a reader will read it a page at a time during updates. So comics that has at least some resolution on each page gets my thumbs up.

Posted at

Good art, and a good storyline. One that takes time, but not too much time to unfold, and is well-written. Like a good book, but with pictures. <3

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Nudity. Nice artwork… Stuff like that.

Posted at

Nudity. Nice artwork… Stuff like that.
Oh yes, that reminds me. Shonen-ai is a plus too. But only if it's GOOD shonen-ai. D: Bad shonen-ai makes me want to tear my eyeballs out.

Posted at

Great Story can make up for lack of art usually, but sometimes too poorly drawn (sprited) art can turn me off to where it doesnt matter how good that story was.

hat
hat
Posted at

Something that you can get the 'ooh interesting' effect without reading a bunch of text first.

I glance: if I'm interested, great, if not, I go away.

Posted at

The quality of the artwork is what draws me in first, but if it's not met with an equally good storyline (either funny- which, in my books, is good no matter how weird the humor is- or mysterious), then it's not worth a second visit.

herio
herio
Posted at

spirit and hart its hard exsplne it when you plase your hart and spirit into your work you do it by defalt and story

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.