Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Well it's in the records here on the site how long you've been doin your comic so that proves it belongs to you. Honestly I don't care what happens to my stuff as long as people are enjoying it.

Posted at

I would ask them where in my comic do they see a God-Damned elephant.

bittertea
bittertea
Posted at

I would actually prefer Hollywood to steal them so I could see my comics in animation or film. Although I'm particular about the details so I'd want to be in charge of casting and directing. Then I'd try to sue my own production team for stealing my comics to justify that I wasn't baiting a trap to get myself into the industry. …no that's a lot of nonsense.

Frankly, the lines of Hollywood and independent home productions (like online comics) are kind of blurred for me. I mean I'm both doing my own comics which are personal stories I want to tell and I'm also starting out working in film projects overseas. It should all be a matter of time before the two combine.

I still feel pretty silly after throwing one of my ideas at DreamWorks SKG. I felt like a homeless-retard running up to the giant corporation doors and throwing confetti at them, "HEY YOU GUYS LOOK AT MY STUFF!!" They actually called me back to tell me to pick up my portfolio. LOL, I want to apologize for the incident but at the same time I'm pretty damn proud that I had the nerve. *note to self, do not send violent concept art to a kiddie film industry

Posted at

It would be a sad day in film history if my idea were stolen by a big Hollywood studio. It would be nothing but some guys making cock and your mom jokes. Mostly cock jokes.

zaymac
zaymac
Posted at

It would be a sad day in film history if my idea were stolen by a big Hollywood studio. It would be nothing but some guys making cock and your mom jokes. Mostly cock jokes.

Oh, so it would be a Kevin Smith movie.

tiffawolf
tiffawolf
Posted at

eh i have a 480$ copyright placed on it that took forever to go through so my characters,story and such is protected and claimed by me only. if some one was to try,ide have proof by the company that protect it. but yeah i would confront hollywood and the wouldnt get by so easely

Posted at

That is if they can read your copyright form…

Posted at

Oh, and I have a ton of sketches I've been doing. I'm dating them, not scanning them, and signing them.

Plus, there's the record on Drunkduck, and all that too…

tiffawolf
tiffawolf
Posted at

Oh, and I have a ton of sketches I've been doing. I'm dating them, not scanning them, and signing them.

Plus, there's the record on Drunkduck, and all that too…

exactly! so technically u would have proof some where on the net and the original copies that would have them caught

Posted at

Oh, so it would be a Kevin Smith movie.

ZZzzing. I laughed.

CDarklock
CDarklock
Posted at

I'd use it as marketing.

See this movie? It's very similar to this comic I wrote; indeed, they are almost identical (how strange). Look how much money it made.

Here's another comic I wrote (or am writing). It's better than that one. It will probably make even more money. Would you like to option it?

I'm not going to whinge and gripe about THAT couple of million dollars, when I can get a lot more return out of pursuing ANOTHER couple of million dollars. I'd basically go up to Hollywood and say "You're all whores! I'm a whore too! Let's go a-whoring together and make some serious bank!"

It's not the principle of the thing. It's the principal of the thing.

picachu365
picachu365
Posted at

Hmmm welll I would demand a huge chunk of the profits or sue them for billions if they refuse, I'd prefere the latter though hehe. then I'd sell the rights for another movie or a T.V. series for all my new posts. then buy a private island lets say Australia? then kick everybody off and live on it with a beutiful wife.

Posted at

My story is rather complex (Evan though after the 15th time I have re-written it I haven't even posted it here yet) so if Hollywood stole it it would be painfully obvious. I would definatly do something about it. I have spent my entire life on this story. If Hollywood wants to do it then I must be a part of it. They don't have to give me too much credit but there is another person that is helping me with this story and they must get the most credit. The entire thing would fail without them.

Posted at

hollywood ??, oh i'd be pleased, what i'm afraid of is those Studios form India, they're reckless !!! (nah, just kidding)

Posted at

I'd get a high power lawyer and go sue happy. If I win I get money without the hard work of publishing my comic. If I lose I get 15 mins of fame to show off my comic and make a moive about it later on XD

Posted at

I'm pretty confident that if Hollywood stole any of my ideas, they'd be so butchered that I'd never recognize it and write it off as another failure to do anything original or clever.

So basically what would happen is they'd do their knock-off, it'd bomb, I'd roll my eyes (and probably not recognize it) and continue on.

I'm my personal opinion, Super Temps can't have too much changed before it gets broken. So assuming they didn't break it, then they'd have a lot of stuff obviously the same, and I'd have my case thanks to having ST published on multiple sites, and DD time-stamps things too.

Given we're still doing a fantasy here, when I win (this is hypothetical so I'm taking advantage of it) they'd have two choices:
A. Huge cut of the profits.
B. Tiny cut of the profits, but the movie has very large credits to me for the original idea, and has them openly admit they attempted to steal some poor guy's work and that they are creatively and morally bankrupt. Everyone who was knowingly involved in the theft would be outed, and those innocent would also be noted. The DVD extras would include a public apology and a note to anyone watching that they're shiftless, gutless, spineless thief with an invite for anyone who sees them on the street to punch them hard.

Posted at

Well, if they are brave enough to touch my comic without the use of the standard ten-foot pole, I suppose I'd wait and see how it does.

I remember a movie that came out that was a direct rip off of a play someone wrote years before, and the guy won in a suit against the studio for a third of the total profits well after the DVD was on the shelves, because apparently, he didn't watch a lot of movies in theatres. Never too late if you have copyright dates. That's why you should always sign and date your comics, even if they never see the light of a publisher's lamp.

dotdotdot
dotdotdot
Posted at

This happens in music all the time… As the old saying goes… it's all been done before! In music there is a thing called a "sonic coincidence"… Basically because there is only so many chord combinations, at times people's music will sound similar… The sheer number of songs that have been released, you are bound to overlap somewhere with someone at some point…

It's the same thing in comics… Sometimes there is a ligit concern that your work has been pilfered… but sometimes two or more people just come up with the same ideas, or similar characters by sheer coincidence. It's just the nature of the beast. People learn to draw from other people at the end of the day…

As far as subject matter goes… It is rare that you find a completely original story anymore… Hollywood just uses the same themes and plot lines over and over again with different characters in different settings… It's pathetic really.

Most people who sue others because they believe their work was stolen are eventually sued by someone else claiming that they stole it from them… and so on and so forth. It's all about money… not ideas.

Everyone wants to think they have an original idea… But the truth is, these days original means the same ol'… done over differently.

I've always been more concerned the other way… that I'll do something that someone else has already done without intending do it!

My stuff is comedic in nature… I touch on themes that all people who tell jokes touch on… You show me a comedian who hasn't talked about politics, relationships, family, economies… or stupid people… and I'll show you 5000 who have!

I don't EVER steal jokes… but I have drawn comics where people have told me "I've heard that one before"… I don't lose any sleep over it because I know I didn't steal it.

If someone wants to steal one of my jokes… there isn't much I can do about that really… I am the one, afterall, who puts them out there for all to see.

Now, if someone were stealing ALL of my jokes… then we'd have a problem!

I do take comfort in the fact that I know I can keep writing good jokes… people who steal other people's work do it because they can't… They are pathetic!

I guess it's little different with story based comics… but really at the end of the day, it's all been done before in comic books too… How many fantasy/adventure comics are just derrivitives of Tolkien's work? How many superheroes don't have ANY elements of the heroes that have come before them?… Not many.

The best you can do is be honest yourself. Don't steal other people's work and don't freak out if someone else comes up with something similar to what you have done. And always remember that NONE of us are as original as we think we are!

I think that most people who feel they have been plagerized would be amazed at the number of people who might make the same claim about them!!!

I'd need more details and specifics… but I am pretty sure Disney didn't steal your idea… and you probably didn't steal it from anyone else… It's probably just like a "sonic coincidence"!!!!

Cheers,
Graeme

Posted at

Hmmm welll I would demand a huge chunk of the profits or sue them for billions if they refuse, I'd prefere the latter though hehe. then I'd sell the rights for another movie or a T.V. series for all my new posts. then buy a private island lets say Australia? then kick everybody off and live on it with a beutiful wife.
I highly doubt hollywood would steal an already stolen idea.

Tundra
Tundra
Posted at

It could be coincidence, but if it's too close, you could sue. Or you might even get more exposure, as you can continue on with the story line past the movie. And it'd be clearly dated I assume, so that people won't think you're just copying the movie.

I'd like to see them try to copy my webcomic though. :P

TokyoRose
TokyoRose
Posted at

Hollywood already does that to comics…and novels…weather you call it stealing or not. But, I would be a little pissed and flatterd at the same time…lol. Who knows…it just may launch that much desired jump into the spotlight.

umbledijum
umbledijum
Posted at

i am fairly new to the community and currently do not have a comic to call my own. I did have a comic once that i only made two pages. It wasn't quite working out, so i deleted it.

anywaysies, if hollywood stole my idea, i'd laugh at them for being so horribly out of ideas. I know that the comic i'm working on now (which i plan to post sometime in the future) would make a terrible movie.

umbledijum
umbledijum
Posted at

This happens in music all the time… As the old saying goes… it's all been done before! In music there is a thing called a "sonic coincidence"… Basically because there is only so many chord combinations, at times people's music will sound similar… The sheer number of songs that have been released, you are bound to overlap somewhere with someone at some point…

It's the same thing in comics… Sometimes there is a ligit concern that your work has been pilfered… but sometimes two or more people just come up with the same ideas, or similar characters by sheer coincidence. It's just the nature of the beast. People learn to draw from other people at the end of the day…

As far as subject matter goes… It is rare that you find a completely original story anymore… Hollywood just uses the same themes and plot lines over and over again with different characters in different settings… It's pathetic really.

Most people who sue others because they believe their work was stolen are eventually sued by someone else claiming that they stole it from them… and so on and so forth. It's all about money… not ideas.

Everyone wants to think they have an original idea… But the truth is, these days original means the same ol'… done over differently.

I've always been more concerned the other way… that I'll do something that someone else has already done without intending do it!

My stuff is comedic in nature… I touch on themes that all people who tell jokes touch on… You show me a comedian who hasn't talked about politics, relationships, family, economies… or stupid people… and I'll show you 5000 who have!

I don't EVER steal jokes… but I have drawn comics where people have told me "I've heard that one before"… I don't lose any sleep over it because I know I didn't steal it.

If someone wants to steal one of my jokes… there isn't much I can do about that really… I am the one, afterall, who puts them out there for all to see.

Now, if someone were stealing ALL of my jokes… then we'd have a problem!

I do take comfort in the fact that I know I can keep writing good jokes… people who steal other people's work do it because they can't… They are pathetic!

I guess it's little different with story based comics… but really at the end of the day, it's all been done before in comic books too… How many fantasy/adventure comics are just derrivitives of Tolkien's work? How many superheroes don't have ANY elements of the heroes that have come before them?… Not many.

The best you can do is be honest yourself. Don't steal other people's work and don't freak out if someone else comes up with something similar to what you have done. And always remember that NONE of us are as original as we think we are!

I think that most people who feel they have been plagerized would be amazed at the number of people who might make the same claim about them!!!

I'd need more details and specifics… but I am pretty sure Disney didn't steal your idea… and you probably didn't steal it from anyone else… It's probably just like a "sonic coincidence"!!!!

Cheers,
Graeme

wow dude. that's… really depressing.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

…Now, if someone were stealing ALL of my jokes… then we'd have a problem!

This is what I'm talking about. All those so called writers would need to do is change a few minor details so that the work still contains what attracts it to people but it would seem to be different enough that they could claim it as their own. If they decided to steal your comic, they'd only have to slightly alter your jokes but nearly all of their story would be very similar to what you have in your comic.

Posted at

I'd be interested in seeing how they'd cover the special effects budget in my comics… of course, they could take the green screen route, I suppose.

Then again, as few movies as I've seen in the past year or two, it could've already happened.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.