Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Raillen
Raillen
Posted at

Now this is a toughie, i find that most movies, webcomics and published comics, out there has similar stories or characters in one way or another (not depending on who thought of it 1st or not).But 1 thing for sure, as long as it's not 30% the same then it's okay (that's what my friend said)

and now back to the issue, if hollywood or any huge industry makes a movie about my story (applies to other webcomic artists as well) without my consent or my involvement or more than 30% of the whole thing is similar, I will not stop till i see them fall and burn before my knees (or eyes) HAHAHAHAHA.

mum: sweetie, it's time to take your pills
me: mum, can't it wait i'm online right now with ppl real ppl
mum: you better take ur pills young man, u know wat happens when u don't take them
me: i go mad and hysterical
mum: yes, now go take ur pills before i force em thru ur throat

Note: to anyone wif a 'dirty' mind please restrain yourself and be mature TQ

Posted at

I asked this same question of dave sim the creator cerebus. his reply will be posted on my page tomorrow! i know how you guys feel about this one! i feel like the cartoon network show the league of super evil ripped off the concept of my comic!
any way just check the villain next door page.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

heavy self promotion… That's not so cool man.
——————————-

It's funny when you think that happens. I remember when the Run Lola Run film came out, I thought the Lola character was a rip-off of Pinky, but then I worked out that the ideas would have happened at the same time mostly, and unless some person saw my original exhibition (lots did but probably NOT from Germany), there was zero connection and it was just me being a silly creator.

And a few years ago when one of those Resident Evil movies came out I had a few people contacting me about how one of the characters was similar to Pinky. In hat case I just laughed it off. :)

Posted at

I'm actually used to being the one accused of stealing. To follow the old everlasting "burn the witch".

I shared ideas for my current comic "Jackdaw" with a group of trusted friends and some of them pointed out similarities to The Phoenix Requiem (a world that lost magic, a grouchy investigator etc.). There will probably be people to point these similarities out sooner or later and I'm in a bad position since I have no evidence I wrote the story a few months before TPR appeared (I usually don't post out my best ideas and I couldn't've predicted Sarah would come up with similar).

Anyway, I wouldn't be this much worried about Jackdaw being stolen and made into a movie, since it's a) based on real world history (to some degree), b) contains classic fantasy elements (that are probably copyrighted to Tolkien's family or WotC who don't give much damn if I use them, but would if a huge company used them), c) the whole comic serves two purposes - giving me fun while drawing handsome guys in 18th century outfits and passing a universal moral message.

I wouldn't mind a big Hollywood company stealing the message (though I find it unlikely), cause that'd mean more people would hear it. For stealing the other ideas they'd be sued by other big companies;)

Face it every story on Drunkduck has some actionable inspiration from Shakespeare. ;)
Yeah. My friend says "when out of ideas read Shakespeare or Goethe.
Shakespeare himself didn't invent the stories. Eg. Macbeth is based on a legend, Romeo and Juliet - a remake of a story popular at Shakespeare's times.

This happens in music all the time… As the old saying goes… it's all been done before! In music there is a thing called a "sonic coincidence"… Basically because there is only so many chord combinations, at times people's music will sound similar… The sheer number of songs that have been released, you are bound to overlap somewhere with someone at some point…
I see it this way - you hear so many melodies all the time that at some point you think of a melody and don't know if you've heard it or invented it by yourself.

Posted at

ive been stewing over this for quite some time. does anyone find the marvel character wraith, from annihilation and brokk bloodaxe look similar? escpecially if you look at the brokk. here is a link an im sure you can find other pics of wraith if you are so inclined to. lemme know what you think. i havent a clue if someone saw my creation and took from it or not, but it does piss me off to think you come up with something fairly unique and your own and then to see if elsewhere.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=previews/marvelcomics/annihilation/wraith/Annihil_Wraith01.jpg

hell maybe im crazy. plus there is my theory that at this point in time there is no completely unique ideas. its a version of a version of a ripped off version…

Posted at

if they stole either of my comic ideas I think hollywood is getting pretty desperate.

Boxtop
Boxtop
Posted at

Hmm…if Hollywood stole my comic…

"This Movie is Retarded"? Isn't that most of the recent Hollywood movies?

KillerBob
KillerBob
Posted at

I don't have a comic so I'd be very surprised.

meemjar
meemjar
Posted at

Hell, I'd LOVE to see a live-action version of my comic.

So long as they got Tony Jaa to play the hero and Randy Savage to play the villian.

Posted at

I'd probably laugh at their folly. Film versions of my comics would result in B-movies. And to get even the basic look of the characters right, you'd have to have at least a modest special effects budget and the actors would have to put up with not having their faces seen due to either TONS of makeup/prosthetics/full body suits or being a CGI character. Throw in unusual settings, and the effects budget would probably cost more than what the movie would make in theatres (because most people don't want to see movies about undead carnival workers or irked sewer mutants).

Posted at

I don't have a comic so I'd be very surprised.
That reminds me. I intended to make a comic about a lovable little garbage droid that was tasked with cleaning Earth after humanity had long since abandoned it.

Imagine my surprise when I realized that Disney had stolen my idea BEFORE I even thought of it!

Posted at

I would tell everyone I know and then watch the movie and think to myself how cool I am. Then I would sue.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.