Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Hey, how do you get the first page to come up when someone clicks your comic?

If I understand what you're asking, just go to your first page and note the URL, then link people to that URL directly instead of just your directory. The directory will auto-load your index page (if you have one) or your most recent page (I think) if you don't, but nothing's stopping you from direct-linking if you want people to always see the first (or any other) page first.

I started doing it because A. the current page may very well have spoilers that ruin the story and B. my story's constantly building on itself, so it's almost impossible for a reader to start in the middle and make sense of anything.
Thanks mate!
I just did it in the signature.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

For example, the wireline unit I was in (read: tiny basket of death suspended between two ships by a wire-rope)
This is simply awesome.
No wonder you have an impressive beard. That's all I can say. :)

Bella Blue
Bella Blue
Posted at

Well I baby sit alot, but that gets subdivided into alot of small jobs:

1. Drool Mopper
2. Cook (ok, Pizza ordering tech)
3. Closet monster Slayer
4. Leggo architect
5. And finnally cartoon anylist (that dora the explorer is one deep show!)

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I'd totally quit my job if I could become a Closet Monster Slayer.

ShinGen
ShinGen
Posted at

First off:

lol @ Bella. Lego Architect… my life's dream.

Second:

Riot swung from between two ships on a rope during a storm which Poseidon himself created in an attempt to destroy Riot, with only his beard for protection? (This is how it was read in my mind so this is what is what I believe…) *Bows to riot* I will follow you to the depths of hell my liege.

Third:

I work making mechs. If you know what that is I suggest you stop watching Gundam. Also I quit that a few months ago but I just had to put it in. Now I do construction in San Pedro for rich people who pay me next to nothing.

Oh if you don't believe on the mech thing, this is the "company" I used to work for's site. Crappy… I know. That's why I quit.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

That website looks like something from an 80's hackers movie.

Posted at

My paycheck says Graphic Designer/Page Designer for the local newspaper, but in actuality it's to work on my comic on the company dollar in between tedious, redundant work.

and before that i did five years of IT work for two local ISPs.

MrRiot
MrRiot
Posted at

First off:

lol @ Bella. Lego Architect… my life's dream.

Second:

Riot swung from between two ships on a rope during a storm which Poseidon himself created in an attempt to destroy Riot, with only his beard for protection? (This is how it was read in my mind so this is what is what I believe…) *Bows to riot* I will follow you to the depths of hell my liege.

Third:

I work making mechs. If you know what that is I suggest you stop watching Gundam. Also I quit that a few months ago but I just had to put it in. Now I do construction in San Pedro for rich people who pay me next to nothing.

Oh if you don't believe on the mech thing, this is the "company" I used to work for's site. Crappy… I know. That's why I quit.

Dude, you're in San Pedro? That's where I live.
If you're stalking me, bring beer.
Also, why would you quit building mechs? If people keep quitting those jobs I'll NEVER get my Grimlock exo-suit!

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

If people keep quitting those jobs I'll NEVER get my Grimlock exo-suit!

Dude, tell me about it! I'm still waiting for my Wing Zero. It's been ages!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It's a company that makes… What? It looks like they like to think about making mechs :)
Heh, reminds me of those groups that get together to do a full mod of the latest multiplayer FPS: Big ideas, but… 6 months later there's only 1 guy working on it and he's just made a logo.

I hope they DO make something though! I've seen that walking logging tractor by a Finnish subsidiary of John Deere Tractors: it's pretty amazing and it actually works.

Walking vehicles could work, but they're best where there are no roads (since other vehicles can move more efficiently in that case). Even in the country, tracked vehicles are probably still more efficient. But there are lots of places that even tracks can't go.

As for combat though, the height would be a problem: that picks you out as an easy target, especially with only two legs.
A lower multi legged thing would be good though, much better than normal tracked tanks because legs can be made more robust and heavier armoured: tracks are a tank's Achilles' heel. Plus, legs would allow movement over tougher terrain, be configured to provide better stability and elevation for the main gun, and depending on the number they would even provide some redundancy in case of loss.
Hahaha, Masumne Shirrow has some good design ideas :)

Hmm, Mecha is more fun to talk about than jobs :P

ShinGen
ShinGen
Posted at

Dude, you're in San Pedro? That's where I live.
If you're stalking me, bring beer.
Also, why would you quit building mechs? If people keep quitting those jobs I'll NEVER get my Grimlock exo-suit!

Well I work in Pedro. I live in Wilmington. God I hate Wilmington.

Anywho wow, looks like I started something. I rule.

But yeah the reasons i quit are as follows:

1: At the time they had a foot. Made of triangles. And a chest… made of thin metal sticks. And that's it.

2: I got no where near the lack-of-mech until the last day I was there. Before then what was I doing? Making a concrete sidewalk outside. With one other person. In 120* heat. All day. Everyday. And we lived on base so we could not eat until we were done.

3: As an intern there you don't get paid perse. Nay, you get stock. Worthless meaningless stock. And you pay them to live there.

And there are so many many stories I could tell you that would make you both laugh and cry about that place that it's obscene. Trust me guys, root for the John Deere-mobile because there will be no mech coming from them anytime soon but they will however be coming out with a brand new shiny, concrete sidewalk.

Oh that's right… this thread's about jobs isn't it… Umm I build things.

Posted at

Walking vehicles could work, but they're best where there are no roads (since other vehicles can move more efficiently in that case). Even in the country, tracked vehicles are probably still more efficient. But there are lots of places that even tracks can't go.

A lower multi legged thing would be good though, much better than normal tracked tanks because legs can be made more robust and heavier armoured: tracks are a tank's Achilles' heel. Plus, legs would allow movement over tougher terrain, be configured to provide better stability and elevation for the main gun, and depending on the number they would even provide some redundancy in case of loss.
Hahaha, Masumne Shirrow has some good design ideas :)

Hmm, Mecha is more fun to talk about than jobs :P
The Snamuh in my comic have removed their legs and replaced them with various forms of transport, tracks, wheels, rocket…

I love your idea of many legs, I got this great image of Mr Hunter from page 5 with legs moving like a giant spider over rough terrain.

And, yeah this is fun… might start a new thread on it…

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I'm having mental images of thos arachnitrons from Doom happyly scurrying about a battlefield…

Posted at

Well im not old enough to have a proper job but i do have a part time job as a newspaper boy

Posted at

Ya, I've been a student, and then last week I got a job at this like legal office, being the desk jockey sort of thing. Ya, hopefully I'm good enough at typing or else I'm sunk.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Is desk jockey like disc jockey, but instead of discs you spin desks around and scratch them?

Posted at

I work HERE, so I'm literally a professional geek :p

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

You can earn money by being a geek? Where do I sign up?

Posted at

Your locally owned computer store. (I don't recommend working for any of the big national chain stores. I have before. It sucked.) At a local place it can be a lot of fun though. I work with some of my best friends, in fact they got me the job. Just don't expect to make much.

D0m
D0m
Posted at

I think a lot of our jobs seem similar…

I work for the USDA, in a branch called APHIS, which is Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services. Too many acronyms in the government…

I'm a computer clerk, so I do the menial (Move my monitor) to the complicated (I'm locked out of my e-mail account!). The pay is good, considering I'm just a college sophomore, but it's pretty boring, and I can't draw there.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Your locally owned computer store. (I don't recommend working for any of the big national chain stores. I have before. It sucked.) At a local place it can be a lot of fun though. I work with some of my best friends, in fact they got me the job. Just don't expect to make much.

I've tried that once, but they didn't need any new people. I'm happy with the job I got now though, lucky to have it too. I'm one of about 5 or 6 persons who actually found a job that they studied for, out of a class of like 30 people.

Posted at

'They' say that if you would not do the job you have if you had more money than you needed, you shouldn't be doing it.

Personally I love my 'main' job of teaching kids how to draw… the satisfaction of seeing childrens' self-esteem go way up when they realise how easy it is to draw cartoons is immense.

Lately though it has been hard to get into schools with my courses for some reason. I have been 'steered' into other lines of work.
So I can't wait to see what happens next.

A lot of you guys and gals seem to like your jobs… would you still do them if money wasn't an issue?

Or would you devote your time to your comics?

Are your comics a 'fun' thing or do you hope to make money from them?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.