Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

What? We have a new Senior Editor on Drunk Duck?

dragonlova
dragonlova
Posted at

So what exactly will this editor status consist of?

Again, it is not about "status" for me. :)

dragonlova
dragonlova
Posted at

Welcome, commander!

Hope you have no issues with motion sickness, 'cause this place travels at warp speeds.

Looking forward to your contributions!

Thank you!!!! I'll try to keep my balance.

Red Slayer
Red Slayer
Posted at

There's our loveable old admins from way back, and the new guys who basically need admin access for the running of things, communication, business stuff or whatever. And finally, an "editor" looks more like some kind of dedicated job associated with the site… I dunno. But I'm pretty sure none of it is really about status, rank, or privilege.

It's about being able to set people on fire over the internets.

And welcome to our new forum overlord! o/

dragonlova
dragonlova
Posted at

Dragonlova knows she's the newbie but she's also the one who will be making sure there's a featured comic every day, prettifying and organizing the News page, and doing things like the community interviews that everyone seems to think is a good idea. She's here to keep the place organized and to make positive contributions. She's jumping right into the pool here and I'm sure she expects a bit of a shock, but wouldn't it be nicer if the water were at least warm? :) (We're the water, get it? And to make a cross-analogy, hopefully she's the duck's back… ok, now I'm not making sense.)

Don't YOU find it disheartening that anyone related to Plat seems to have automatic admin-ship here on DD?

Nope, not really. I hate to break it to you but admin-ship isn't necessarily very important. :) No way in hell are Mojo or Dragonlova or PlatinumDan going to moderate the forums, review comments, warn users, etc. They have other jobs to do.

Their admin rights are more a necessity of communication rather than any function they perform on the site. :) Basically, as Ronson said, they need access to the admin forum (where we talk about upcoming features, etc), and the admin panel (so they can add featured comics or check a stat or something). They probably don't even want to look at the other stuff available because those aren't their problem, and would only make problems for them if they tried to mess with them.

There are other Plat people around (testers, etc) who don't have admin rights. Just a few of them (only 3 I think) need access to a couple of admin things.

But like Tater, I would have to ask, does everyone who is published through Plat. get admin rights? Or is it selective based on their job with the company? Just wonderin'.

It doesn't have anything to do with publishing. Mojo does post the Cowboys and Aliens pages, but he has nothing to do with the comic. He's just in the New Media division, or whatever they call it, so it's part of his job to post them. It's also part of his job to communicate with us, for which he needs the admin forum. Dragonlova needs the admin forum, news, and featured comics. PlatinumDan needs the forum, and… I guess stats or something. So it just has to do with job position. Testers don't need admin status for anything so they don't get it.

To be honest I'm pretty confused about why someone being an 'invisible' admin is even an issue. It isn't like they are going to go around deleting comics or harrassing people. I would even say that, since they are being paid for whichever jobs they're doing, they're going to be extra-responsible with how they use the admin features. If they do something wrong or objectionable, they are going to get in trouble. Whereas I could be mean to all of you and what are you gonna do about it. T_T

I don't really want this thread to turn into something about platinum people, admin status, etc. :) It's a Dragonluva-saying-hello thread!

So hiya. (Stick around a while and maybe ozone will think you are lovable too like us old admins.)

Well said Skoolmunkee… You are totally correct with everything here.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Hey now, never said I was pissy at there being a new admin! Just wondering what you can do to get admin rights, now that plat took over. All in all, I could care less about there being new admins (just means things will move faster, so it's all good!). I'm just wondering if it means that everyone who gets publishing rights gets special privileges. That's all.

Sorry if you mistook my post. I'm not trying to scare you off or argue with you, I'm glad we have more admins. I'm merely a curious user who wanted to know about a policy change.

But anyway, welcome to the duck!

Posted at

I don't think anyone's too upset here any more. :)

I'm just wondering if it means that everyone who gets publishing rights gets special privileges. That's all.

Nah. It isn't about publishing at all. Just specifics about someone's job.

Who chooses new Admins, anyway? Is it PS? or the DD Staff? or a combination of both? I'm just curious.

DD admins pick new admins for the comics management end of things, I assume when it seems like they're getting overwhelmed with the current amount of work. I'm not exactly sure how that works since I'm the "newest" admin in that regard. PS doesn't really "choose" admins, it's more like they need specific jobs done and the person needs admin status to do that (like posting featured comics or the upcoming interview stuff). The PS folks absolutely don't want to manage any of the comic stuff. They're happy with us DD 5 to keep doing that - the PS people know that regular DD users would resent someone new stepping in trying to tell them what to do. (Why mess with what already works, you know?)

I'm not really sure where Volte sits in there, to my knowledge he doesn't do the regular admin stuff like manage comments or admin the forum. He does do all the coding and figures out new features and things though. :) So he's the bridge I suppose.

So what exactly will this editor status consist of?

I'm sure there was something in the admin forum about what she does, but I can't seem to find it now and my fish is almost done so I have to hurry!

Some of that has been answered already in this thread, it isn't really a status inasmuch as a job position. :) She doesn't "edit" anything to my understanding, but it is her job to ensure a new featured comic goes up each day, she'll be tasked with making the news page more organized and have a few more features, etc. She'll have nothing at all to do with people's comics, if that's the worry. All of the PS admins are very invisible, back-end sort of positions.

Posted at

No, I will not be editing ANY of your art or comics so DON'T WORRY!

Haha! :D A collective sigh of relief ensues.

But yeah. If you scare the nice lady off, you're all getting detention! .\/. (Or as I told my class today, you're all writing a letter of apology.)

I know there are a ton of admins running in but as Skoolmunkee and Ronson said, some of the people who have admin status have it because they need access to certain admin functions in the site. Basically, they have a day job to do. People who publish under Platinum do not automatically become administrators. (I'm not sure why that's a perk even. I love you guys and I love helping out but you would think that there's a better "prize" then being an administrator. ;))

If you leave out the people that Platinum gave admin access to for day job purposes, there hasn't really been a new admin since Skoolmunkee agreed to help. But yeah, DD admins pick new admins. When I was asked to be an admin, it was to help out with the workload and such. There wasn't any formal procedure, I didn't have to jump through rings of fire or walk on glass. :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

There wasn't any formal procedure, I didn't have to jump through rings of fire or walk on glass. :)
Oooooo, perhaps there should be though? Wouldn't that be cool! Let's instate it now and make it retroactive. :)

I think people in communities atomatically think in terms of status. It's human nature… and unfortunate. But on the upside, it's good to get all this stuff out in the open and dealt with! That's one of the things that makes DD such a great place: its openess.

I look forward to seeing our editor in action! :)

Posted at

Ooooh… aaaah… and… stuff.

Yeah.

I don't really care about the amount of admins so long as it doesn't complicate things. So… yeah, whatever.

So there won't be any more communism?

NO COMMUNISM FOR YOU!

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I'm sure we could cut the complaining by a lot of we just added an admin who's been an established DD user for a while. It doesn't have to be drastic, but it'll curb the tide of "oh my god outsiders are taking over!!"

All this reminds me of how Chinese residents must have acted when the Mongols came to town.

Hopefully I'm not the only who sees this. :D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm sure we could cut the complaining by a lot of we just added an admin who's been an established DD user for a while.

All this reminds me of how Chinese residents must have acted when the Mongols came to town.
Ha! Interesting analogy. The Mongols did a bloody good job as administrators once they took over though. Not many people consider that aspect ;)

Urk! another DD admin? hmm… I don't really think there's a need.
Anyway, if there was, I think I'd suggest Cham: he's been at DD ages, he's responsible, trusted, mature, and liked.

Posted at

I'm sure we could cut the complaining by a lot of we just added an admin who's been an established DD user for a while. It doesn't have to be drastic, but it'll curb the tide of "oh my god outsiders are taking over!!"

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but personally, I rather not add another admin just because people are complaining.

Oooooo, perhaps there should be though? Wouldn't that be cool! Let's instate it now and make it retroactive. :)

Not until we start with the moderators first. ;D

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I totally second Cham as a figurehead.

If anything it should at least stop the complaints of so-called vicious new people spreading their iron curtain over the republic of duck.

Or not. Some people just won't shut up even if you give them tons of hints.

dragonlova
dragonlova
Posted at

*hint, hint. ;)

Iron curtain! We're not against [you].

I think we're done with this topic and the point has been made. You guys know who I am now when you see me around, and that's why I started this thread. :P

If there is more work than we can handle, then we'll of course have to assign more responsibilities as the need arises.

Of course your suggestions are totally welcome and I'll pass them on/they'll be looked at. :] yeha.
word….
- dragonlova

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

*hint, hint. ;)

;____;

dragonlova
dragonlova
Posted at

p.s… I'll post a picture sometime in the following week in the picture section so you can see what I look like. Just for fun. :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Cool! ^_^
I think we should lock and sticky this thread now.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.