Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

Has anyone noticed how despite DD clearly having a large spriting community hardly and spriters grace the forums? How comesit that the spriters aren't engaging with the rest of the DD community? Is it that sprites are not takes seriously as a medium? or do spriters feel intimidated by the various people of absolutley immense artistic ability?

Really, what's going on?

Rich
Rich
Posted at

They are afraid because they know that without the power of the Circle Jerk to protect them, they are harmless and vulnerable.

Or they're just anti-social.

Posted at

A word of warning…this thread is not gonna spiral down to sprite bashing again. we've had countless threads of that already.

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

that wasn't my intention with this thread, I just honestly want to know where the spriters are hiding,

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I've noticed a lot of spriters, if they mention spriting, tend to get bashed by, well, you people. Don't know if that's the reason or not, but that's what I've always suspected.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

I just thought they were anti-social. It is possible that they don't hang out on the forums long because a good bit of them have really bad grammar. And regardless of their sprite comics, noone likes bad grammar.

Posted at

It's because every time they show their face, certain people jump all over them. It's happened in the past and they don't want it to happen to them.

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

But that's just the ones who are annoying and really bad at spriting but think they aren't, or the ones who are Titch, but titch is a git however you look at him, there are plenty of good spriters around, like the good folks of the middle ground. Where are DD's remotley respectable spriters.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

But that's just the ones who are annoying and really bad at spriting but think they aren't, or the ones who are Titch, but titch is a git however you look at him, there are plenty of good spriters around, like the good folks of the middle ground. Where are DD's remotley respectable spriters.

Hey, whoah, whoah, no need to bring in personal attacks. I think the fact that the best you're willing to give is "remotely respectable" should explain why a lot of spriters are wary of entering the forum environment.

Posted at

Hey, whoah, whoah, no need to bring in personal attacks. I think the fact that the best you're willing to give is "remotely respectable" should explain why a lot of spriters are wary of entering the forum environment.

Yeah. Pretty much.

Oh, and I believe "anti-social" means "sociopathic". I think "avoidant" is the proper term. Sorry, I just get ticked when people use the phrase "anti-social" like that. Even though it is a generally a widely accepted definition and all, I have no idea why I'm so friggin' picky about it.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

Oh, and I believe "anti-social" means "sociopathic". I think "avoidant" is the proper term. Sorry, I just get ticked when people use the phrase "anti-social" like that. Even though it is a generally a widely accepted definition and all, I have no idea why I'm so friggin' picky about it.

Funny…just looked it up today and both definitions are correct for anti-social. So you no longer have to get ticked when people are using the term properly.

And no offence…but this
that wasn't my intention with this thread, I just honestly want to know where the spriters are hiding,
is total bull in my opinion because of the antagonistic way you worded your first post.

And i'll bet the respectable spriters don't post here because it isn't worth the bashing they'll get; maybe not from you, but from those who appear to hate all sprite comics equally.

Posted at

Spriters could be absent for a few reasons:
1. Many spriters do sprite comics because they're short on time. Makes sense that if you don't have time to draw, you don't have time to post.
2. They feel no need to take part in discussions about artistic technique or deeper meaning because they are just doing a simple comic for fun. This means that they think they wouldn't have a place on the forums.
3. If I knew that if I went on a forum, I'd get flamed, I'd avoid it. I know places where manga artists are considered no-talent hacks in much the same way as sprite artists are thought of here. Unless I was out to prove something or looking for a fight, I wouldn't bother, especially if I was just a kid doing a quick comic for a laugh. Heck, I avoided the DD forums for ages precisely because my first impressions of the site was that it's full of ravenous critics just waiting to tear your comic apart. Maybe not such a bad thing, but it's daunting for a newcomer, especially if they know things will be stacked against them to begin with.

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

A shortage of spriters o_O? ERROR CANNOT COMPUTE!

is….is that even possible?

My god…the TASC did it!!!! W00TED!

Vagabond
Vagabond
Posted at

I personally don't come to the forums that often because half the time I don't see anything I'm interested in posting on. That… and I got really tired of hearing the "spriters are a lower class of life than us" comments ad naseum over the past few months. I know that I certainly haven't been personally attacked like that, so I'm not blaming anyone here, but I don't believe in fighting a negative bias from the get-go just so I'll post on one forum. It's a waste of time for everyone involved.

Posted at

i'm a spriter and I"m in the forums more than anywhere else.
I personally think it has a lot to do with that, honestly, y'all meet them with a lot of "YOU ALL SUCK, GO DIE!" so they kinda get discouraged to come here if every time they get picked on…which they probably get enough of at school.

Posted at

Funny…just looked it up today and both definitions are correct for anti-social. So you no longer have to get ticked when people are using the term properly.

I can't help it, observe:
Even though it is a generally a widely accepted definition and all, I have no idea why I'm so friggin' picky about it.

Seriously, I've been like this ever since I read the article on Anti-Social Personality Disorder on Wikipedia. I probably don't like it because sometimes people use the term to describe me.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

They're not here. That's the answer.

(Check the Forum Games section if you want to see spriters.)

Posted at

That is the truest statement ever…

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

I checked, I see…I finally see…

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

The majority of the sprite people I've seen have been the 'OMG LOLZ i am teh n00b l337' kind of crowd that aren't really the type that like to hang around the sections of the forums that maybe you may visit.

…And no, before someone jumps on me, I'm not bashing all sprite people, nor am I calling them stupid. I've actually seen some surprisingly good sprite comics here. I think the ones that actually do good-quality sprite comics and/or make an effort with their work are usually the ones you see lurking the General forums and the like.

soonmme
soonmme
Posted at

Another reson could be that spriters make up the yunger area of D.D.'s comunity, and the yunger the kid the more parentel supervision, if you know what I mean.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Myxo and Soonmme both raise good points on why there isn't many spriters on the forums. I hadn't even considered Soonmme's point though.

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

There used to be plenty of spriters posting about their comics in the "Hey Everyone Look What I Did!" forum.
Not sure if that has changed recently.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

They're not here. That's the answer.

Yes, they're with me now…

Posted at

Words are defined by those who use them. For example: Irregardless is a word now, due to usage. If one person uses a word improperly its one thing, however if enough people misuse the same word in the same was insomuch that it is clear what they mean, that word begins to take on that meaning.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.