Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Spriters think that everybody hates them, so they don't go talk to them. It's just like how depressing nerds hide in their parent's basements! Obviously, I don't mind a society that views me as something lesser than they are. But I wish I had more of my kind to converse with.

Then again, a forum with no Squeak might not be a bad thing…

Posted at

language is always eveolving..that's the beauty of it.

Posted at

It's just like how depressing nerds hide in their parent's basements!

I have to say at this point that I have NEVER met a person, nerd or not, who lives in their parents' basement. Is it just an American thing that simply doesn't exist here in England, or is it just a ridiculous stereotype that doesn't actually exist in real life? Seriously, wouldn't you just continue living in your room if you lived with your parents? Why move into the basement? Is it some kind of rite of passage that only Americans understand? 'You are a man now! You can live in the basement!' …and why do you never hear of women who live in their parents' basements? The whole 'parents' basement' thing is just as bad a stereotype as the 'all spriters are 13 year olds with no grammatical knowledge, no artistic ability and no creativity' thing. They're both stupid generalisations.

Since it's been established that the spriters ARE around, just concentrated on the gaming section, I wouldn't say they're really hiding so much as they concentrate on their area of interest, which happens to be games. So it's less like they're hiding in the basement, and more like they're hanging out at the arcade all the time really.

Posted at

Is it just an American thing that simply doesn't exist here in England, or is it just a ridiculous stereotype that doesn't actually exist in real life?

Basically a stereotype.

If my parents HAD a basement though…. I would live in it for that very reason!

Posted at

It's just like how depressing nerds hide in their parent's basements!

I have to say at this point that I have NEVER met a person, nerd or not, who lives in their parents' basement. Is it just an American thing that simply doesn't exist here in England, or is it just a ridiculous stereotype that doesn't actually exist in real life? Seriously, wouldn't you just continue living in your room if you lived with your parents? Why move into the basement? Is it some kind of rite of passage that only Americans understand? 'You are a man now! You can live in the basement!' …and why do you never hear of women who live in their parents' basements? The whole 'parents' basement' thing is just as bad a stereotype as the 'all spriters are 13 year olds with no grammatical knowledge, no artistic ability and no creativity' thing. They're both stupid generalisations.

Since it's been established that the spriters ARE around, just concentrated on the gaming section, I wouldn't say they're really hiding so much as they concentrate on their area of interest, which happens to be games. So it's less like they're hiding in the basement, and more like they're hanging out at the arcade all the time really.

Yeah. I was just using it because it was a well-known stereotype. I don't know why it exists either. Nerds in america don't live in their parents basement, either.

soonmme
soonmme
Posted at

They most likely are spoiled little brats who sit in there room with every gaming system known to man, 7 known to monkies, or using there computor and the only reson they use the
gaming forum is because it is what they know, what they comic and such.

Or they might be spoiled brats and can't take harsh comments tords them, and they know that in the gamming section they won't have to wory about this because they know about video games.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Forum Games don't require much thought.

Posted at

…and why do you never hear of women who live in their parents' basements?

The whole idea of the parents' basement is the concept of the man-child, the grown man who has missed the traditional rites of passage and therefore only grew in age, but remains a child in that he: a) is dependent on his parents (for money and/or shelter), b) has no relationship with women (therefore is sexually retarded), c) concerns himself with childish things (comics, video games, science fiction, toys)

The stereotype does not extend to women because the stereotypes that apply to women have roots in misogyny and assume that women, regardless of emotional maturity or physical attractiveness, will be married off and out of the house before they can stagnate to the degree of the stereotyped man-child. Also another big part of the traditional nerd stereotype is that there are no female nerds, which is a big fat lie, but to the world outside of nerd-dom it makes perfect sense.

These are all pretty overblown and only in extreme cases are any of the traditional stereotypes about nerds fulfilled.

Posted at

Forum Games don't require much thought.

Another very very true statement. I know that I used to use forum games to lessen my mental load on a forum, later realizing that it's actually possible for me to hold an intelligent conversation with other people 'round here (though… with the way my mind works… it still requires a heck of a lot of focus >_< )

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

language is always eveolving..that's the beauty of it.
It can also be an extremely ugly process as well… Just look at what the current US administration and military hierarchy does with it. ;)
Some languages don't evolve though… But that's because they're dead.

This discussion looks pretty crooked. Is it actually going anywhere? WE NEED MORE SPRITERS IN HERE! Come join in you lovely sprite people!
-No leet or SMS speak though mind you, that antagonizes everybody and that's not a good thing. But contribute, we welcome you! :)

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

…and why do you never hear of women who live in their parents' basements?

The whole idea of the parents' basement is the concept of the man-child, the grown man who has missed the traditional rites of passage and therefore only grew in age, but remains a child in that he: a) is dependent on his parents (for money and/or shelter), b) has no relationship with women (therefore is sexually retarded), c) concerns himself with childish things (comics, video games, science fiction, toys)

The stereotype does not extend to women because the stereotypes that apply to women have roots in misogyny and assume that women, regardless of emotional maturity or physical attractiveness, will be married off and out of the house before they can stagnate to the degree of the stereotyped man-child. Also another big part of the traditional nerd stereotype is that there are no female nerds, which is a big fat lie, but to the world outside of nerd-dom it makes perfect sense.

These are all pretty overblown and only in extreme cases are any of the traditional stereotypes about nerds fulfilled.

I will be an old lady living alone in a house full of cats playing videogames and surfing the net.

I wish we could have basements in Florida. I would sooo become a hermit down there :P

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I'm going to assume that there's a good reason people don't have basements in Florida and call that a bad idea.

Posted at

I also live in Florida, and we don't have basements in Florida because our ground is all sand and beneath the sand is rather crumbly limestone (which occasionally collapses and creates a honking big crater called a sinkhole). At least I think that's why. I've always wanted a basement as well. I've never even had a good attic.

Posted at

I honestly don't think it's the "omg your a spirter FLAME FLAME" kinda thing that keeps em away. And I'm not tryin to be bashing here, but a lot seem <– key word to have a shorter attention span.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

Funny…just looked it up today and both definitions are correct for anti-social. So you no longer have to get ticked when people are using the term properly.

Words are defined by those who use them. For example: Irregardless is a word now, due to usage. If one person uses a word improperly its one thing, however if enough people misuse the same word in the same was insomuch that it is clear what they mean, that word begins to take on that meaning.
I see irregardless as a word to identify the stupid. Those who use it in conversation and expect to be respected really need to learn a bit about language.
It's just like de-thaw. Ever heard that one? In reality it means to freeze something, but people mix defrost and thaw, and get de-thaw.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

EWWWWWWWWWwwww Drax! That is the ugly side of the "living langauge"
I dunno about "irregardless" though… That seems more like a silly little flourish of a word rather than a horrible new Frankenstien's moron-monster like "de-thaw".

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

I also live in Florida, and we don't have basements in Florida because our ground is all sand and beneath the sand is rather crumbly limestone (which occasionally collapses and creates a honking big crater called a sinkhole). At least I think that's why. I've always wanted a basement as well. I've never even had a good attic.

I'm originally from up North, and we had a basement in our old house. My bro and I made it into a videogame room :P (and that was back when Atari and Nintendo were all the rave) XD we used to stay down there for hours on end, sometimes our parents would get all worried cause they thought we ran away or something, since we were hidden away all quiet-like :P

Quacklin
Quacklin
Posted at

i'm a spriter and i like flaming people who just say the dumbest things to good or funny sprites. rich not all spriters have bad grammer so don't say that.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

rich not all spriters have bad grammer so don't say that.

You notice how he mentioned me by name? I'm fucking famous or some shit!

And no, not all spriters have bad grammar. It's just that many of the spriters here on DD have bad grammar. Go over to the MiddleGround forums, and you'll see most everyone there is both a spriter and has good grammar.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Everything has been said, I have a feeling this will evolve into something else.

So, consider this, LOCKED.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.