Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
ShadowDion
ShadowDion
Posted at

i wasn't quite sure where to ask this, so i'm putting in the general discussion, feel free to move it where ever. i was just wondering if anyone knew who drew the image of the drunk duck we see so often? and also…what's the deal with the quail?

Posted at

earlier versions were drawn by Chuck and John Diker (Dyker?) the current version was drawn by a designer here at Platinum. Her name is Nicolette and she has really long hair. :)

BTW what do you mean "what's up with the quail"?

Posted at

I think he means, "what is the quail doing there", because it has nothing to do with drunk ducks.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Volte6 had a pet duck and a pet quail. One day his duck died and so he drew an image of a dead duck. A friend remarked that the duck looked drunk rather than dead. When he created the site, he figured Drunk Duck sounds better and less jinxy than Dead Duck.

It's all there in the FAQ.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

There's a FAQ?

ShadowDion
ShadowDion
Posted at

i knew the story of how the term 'Drunk Duck' came, but i wanted to know about the little brown quail. there is some info on it here but it's not an FAQ and it says nothing about a quail.
by quail i mean

see the little brown guy next to the duck? i thought it was a quail
thanks for answering about the design carly, i thought it may have been one of the admins, or the great Volte himself. or does he even draw?

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Gather 'round children, and I shall tell you a tale. A tale of mystery and intrigue. Of joy and sorrow. Of a phoenix, rising from it's ashes…. well… a duck really.

Back in 2002 I start this site… I asked a friend to draw a mascott/avatar type of character for the site.

I had a pet duck just before that… a pet duck along with a pet quail. The ducks name was "Professor Quackers", the quail; "Mach 5" (He was a fast bastard). They lived with me in my apartment (Yes you read correctly, in my extra bedroom!).

Well, one day I awoke to find Professor Quackers had committed Duck Suicide! Alas, my poor duck was no more.

My friends, being the comforting caring sorts, laughed and pointed and so on… in fact, it became a running joke somehow. I guess it had something to do with me keeping him in a box (it was a big box!!! Very luxurious).

So when it came time for the mascott, my friend drew this:
SITE 1

Naturally the site would be called "DeadDuck.com"… but for shame, the domain was taken. So, the Duck looked kinda… passed out… so he became DRUNK, not DEAD! The quail was thrown on there by the same friend, since he knew I HAD a quail… and why not? Every mascot needs a sidekick!

That site design was too limiting of course, and soon a new version was needed… as a result, Chuck Rowles (Ronson of Gods of Arr-Kelaan) designed a new duck, seen here:
D&Q Comics

That one remained the duck and quail design for a long long time… the one seen here was done by John Daiker (cindermain here at DD):
Site 5

Finally, so that we could uniformly design new material with the duck, he underwent another translformation once Platinum Acquired DrunkDuck.com… Our illustrator came up with the Duck and Quail you NOW see on the front page of the site.

….

Long winded enough?

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

Best bedtime story EVER…

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Well I omitted the explosions, car chases, and love interest in an effort to keep it short.

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

XD I actually wasn't being sarcastic. Just flippant. I liked the story. It had pictures! :D

Posted at

It was a good story, bit too short though.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

He left out the good parts, such as how his duck committed suicide by choking itself with a cable wrapped around the toilet.

Or was it suicide…? Dun dun duuuun!

ShadowDion
ShadowDion
Posted at

Gather 'round children, and I shall tell you a tale. A tale of mystery and intrigue. Of joy and sorrow. Of a phoenix, rising from it's ashes…. well… a duck really.

Back in 2002 I start this site… I asked a friend to draw a mascott/avatar type of character for the site.

I had a pet duck just before that… a pet duck along with a pet quail. The ducks name was "Professor Quackers", the quail; "Mach 5" (He was a fast bastard). They lived with me in my apartment (Yes you read correctly, in my extra bedroom!).

Well, one day I awoke to find Professor Quackers had committed Duck Suicide! Alas, my poor duck was no more.

My friends, being the comforting caring sorts, laughed and pointed and so on… in fact, it became a running joke somehow. I guess it had something to do with me keeping him in a box (it was a big box!!! Very luxurious).

So when it came time for the mascott, my friend drew this:
SITE 1

Naturally the site would be called "DeadDuck.com"… but for shame, the domain was taken. So, the Duck looked kinda… passed out… so he became DRUNK, not DEAD! The quail was thrown on there by the same friend, since he knew I HAD a quail… and why not? Every mascot needs a sidekick!

That site design was too limiting of course, and soon a new version was needed… as a result, Chuck Rowles (Ronson of Gods of Arr-Kelaan) designed a new duck, seen here:
D&Q Comics

That one remained the duck and quail design for a long long time… the one seen here was done by John Daiker (cindermain here at DD):
Site 5

Finally, so that we could uniformly design new material with the duck, he underwent another translformation once Platinum Acquired DrunkDuck.com… Our illustrator came up with the Duck and Quail you NOW see on the front page of the site.

….

Long winded enough?

thanks for the detailed answer, i really did enjoy it.
have you ever thought of getting another Prof. Quackers?
and most importantly…
did i see Penny Arcade featured on the site?!?
did they host here for a while?

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

No, it was used for the design and mock placement… it was still there a little while into the life of the site before one of the cronies started threatening me via email ;)

Posted at

i think you should come up with a more outlandish story in the future. :)

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Well he DID commit duck suicide…. in an valiant effort to escape "The Box" he flipped upside down and broke his neck!

Posted at

:)

3 am in the morning, I look down at my useless wings. They flap with little enthusiasm nowadays. It's the same routine. drink. eat. crap. pee. I long to fly towards the moonlight, it taunts me as I shift around this cubicle. This cold life meaningless. I miss my flock.

I remember flying towards that endless horizon, so far high you can see the earth's orange curve as the sun lightly creeped on it's edges. Now this hollow existence within this paper prison. Life sure has a way of turning around. But tonight, as the masters sleeps, i will try to climb out of my situation.

as I was halfway past the point i felt my wings slipped and I heard the sound of a branch breaking and God turning out the lights.

Orange
Orange
Posted at

Oooh another bedtime story!

Good night world!

ShadowDion
ShadowDion
Posted at

there should be a new section of the forums:
bedtime stories.
and or stories that each person can add onto to continue it.

i am half serious about this suggestion…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.