Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
herio
herio
Posted at

you you use a wooden pencil or a mechanichal one when you draw

Posted at

Both. Either/or. Mechanical for the small details, but other than that, a regular pencil.

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

Normal ol' Number 2 for me. I absolutely hate mechanical pencils. I don't really know why, I just feel like I can't draw quality stuff with them. I guess I don't like using them since the lead is so thin. I tend to break it a lot.

suzi
suzi
Posted at

ALWAYS mechanical, except when I'm using softer artist pencils in art class. I love small, uniform lines. I can't stand how regular pencils wear down into thicker lines over a relatively short period of time…bleh! bleh bleh bleh!

Posted at

When i use pencil,it's mechanical. I never have a sharpener around for regular.

Adariel
Adariel
Posted at

i also have that problem, but i always break the leads (heavy hand) so i guess im stuck with wood for a while

Posted at

I use a 6H for initial sketching and then a 3H to darken it up a *little*

I perfer a 4H but their harder to find around here for some reason

isukun
isukun
Posted at

I have two mechanical pencils I use for drawing. One is your standard mechanical pencil with the thin leads and the other is an artist's mechanical with tick leads. Both are HB.

I don't typically draw anything for my comics in pencil anymore, but I used to use the regular mechanical pencil for comic work. Sometimes I would use the artist's pencil with blue leads for rough sketchy work and then tighten it up with the thinner HB leads.

Now I use the thicker leads for actual art work like life drawing. The thinner leads are great for animation work, though. It keeps your line weight consistant and fairly thin for detailed work.

Vaoni
Vaoni
Posted at

mechanical, always mechanical. wooden feels so weird to me now.

Posted at

Mechanical. I have more control over the mechanical pencil, for whatever reason. The only wooden pencil I use is colored pencils, and that's only because what I have is Prismacolor, and goes down oh-so-smooooothly. ^_^

I hate sharpening pencils, and to keep getting the uniform line that I get from a pencil, I need a mechanical one. Wooden pencils wear down too fast, and break more often(I'm actually very heavy handed), so I have to keep sharpening them. As I don't feel like spending the better part of an hour sharpening a pencil, and want to actually, yanno, DRAW…

…^^ Mechanical.

pshumate
pshumate
Posted at

When I draw, I use a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil with either red or blue lead. I sometimes miss drawing on paper.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

I always have wood when I'm drawing. The lead in mechanical pencils is too soft. They make very dark line and they're difficult to erase. I'll only use a mechanical pencil if I want to do some fine detail and if I know that there's no way I can screw anything up.

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

I like Mechanical because i dont have to keep sharpening the wooden but personaly my favorite is the wooden because it doesnt leave an imprinted line when i erase it.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I always have wood when I'm drawing.

Quoted out of context. :D

I always use a mechanical pencil, and special colored lead.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

I always have wood when I'm drawing.
Quoted out of context. :D
Hahahaha!!! You jerk! Although, given what I like to draw…

Posted at

I use my mouse in flash to draw.

holy shit, me too!

Rich
Rich
Posted at

I always use a mechanical pencil. Since I almost always reink everything in photoshop, it doesn't mean much to me if my lineart is very messy. As long as I can tell what I'm looking at, it's all cool.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

I've been using the same type of mechanical pencil for about a decade. It's the Sanford Logo 4 with .5 lead. It feels so nice between my fingers that I've never felt like deviating. And like Rich, I end up reinking my art anyway (in Flash) so my use of a mechanical pencil falls completely down to comfort and convenience alone.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

You do all your inking in Flash? I've never heard of using flash for such a thing as inking a drawing, but now that you mention it, that would allow for some incredibly scalable lineart. Could you possibly write a tutorial in the future or something?

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

You know, I may consider a tutorial down the road.

Yeah, inking in Flash not only makes the lineart scalable, but it smooths your inking to the desired amount and allows you to simply click to fill any shape. Of course, it doesn't handle smooth gradients and shading as easily, but that's the trade off you get.

Posted at

Well… Monkey Island isn't exactly drawn… it's almost all vector graphics with effects applied to them… so I dunno what my answer to this question would be.

Mouse-drawn, I guess.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

"Stuff about inking in flash"

I just tried it out. You're a fucking genius! Flash inking works brilliantly!

UPDATE: The more and more I try inking in Flash, the more I see how well this truly works! I was never able to ink smoothly before because I have shaky hands (I can't ever sleep, so I'm usually quite tired), but now I can have hyper smooth inking! I can only imagine how mixing this inking technique with photoshop coloring and shading will work!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.