Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I wasn't a big fan of flash when I tried to port my inking from paintshop pro over, but to be fair i didn't spend alot of time messing aroud with it.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

You may also need a Wacom tablet as well. If you don't have one, get one.

So back to topice, I don't like having a woody pencil. It is made of wood and I don't like wood so I prefer mechanical pencils.

isukun
isukun
Posted at

Illustrator also works pretty well for inking. I tend to prefer it since it's easier to make lines with variable width and edit your lines.

jetfox
jetfox
Posted at

mechanical all the way, i hate to sharpen a wooden penciel 10,000 times when i'm working on a pic. that's if i start drawing again. <_<

for most inking tablet penciel if that counts. ^_^

Mark
Mark
Posted at

Wood man wood. Mechanicals an evil thingy created by the man to sap our brains out and rob us of our tentalce powers

Posted at

not my tentical powers!

next thing you know they'll be trying to get one of my five brains!

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

I use my mouse in flash to draw.

holy shit, me too!

Holy coincidence Batman! Me too!

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Rich, do you have a tablet?

Yep, I got a Graphire3. It's not the best on the market, but it is very reliable and quite durable too.

anystar
anystar
Posted at

I always use a trusty mechanical pencil. :3 but I also use a lightbox for making cleaner sketches and/or inking. They're also great for doing frame-by-frame animations. XD My old graphire just died after…4 or 5 years, so now I"m waiting for my new tablet to come in. My Dad bought me an Intuos 9x12. Yeee XD I can't wait to try it out.

Dan
Dan
Posted at

Mechanical pencil 0.5mm for sketching and lineart and no. 2 pencil for shading… but I barely shade anything now. I really need to steal a pencil sharpener at school.

I also have Intuos3 A5 Tablet… been a bloody while since I used that.

jetfox
jetfox
Posted at

since people have been mentioning tablets i guess i'll mention mine.

mine is a wacom tablet whis is about as big as my computer moniter my dad says it was the biggest one there and supposeably the best, but my computer desk is tiny so it sits on my computer when i don't use it and on my lap at and angle when i use it.

so bottom line part of me wishes it was smaller i'm hopeing when my laptop gets here that i can hook that up and draw with it on the ground or bed that would be so much easier.

so bigger is not always better if you have no space to set it.

isukun
isukun
Posted at

so bottom line part of me wishes it was smaller i'm hopeing when my laptop gets here that i can hook that up and draw with it on the ground or bed that would be so much easier.

In that case it probably would have been better to just get a tablet PC instead of a regular laptop. Then you wouldn't need to hook up a tablet to it. They aren't really any more expensive than other laptops these days. Mine has served me well the past four years.

Mark
Mark
Posted at

It seems that most people who go for mechanical pencils do it because wood pencils aren't sharp enough.

Personally, I don't really mind cause my sketches aren't really detailed and I ink over them (not using a tablet but one of em pens. Yes they still actually make pens) anyway.

Also, to me there's something retro and cool about using wooden pencils that I can't justify. It's like having a barbecue with charcoal instead of gas, or using wooden chopsticks instead of plastic ones. It's just better.

jetfox
jetfox
Posted at

to isukun: yeah that probably would have been better and i was thinking about that a little bit, but i already bought the laptop that i intend on using it for things that take a toll on my computer.

i just recently thought about the tablet thing after it was paid for so i can't go back now ^^;
but those tablet pcs look pretty slick.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Personally, I don't really mind cause my sketches aren't really detailed and I ink over them (not using a tablet but one of em pens. Yes they still actually make pens) anyway.

It's actually good to have a seperate sketchbook that, although it may never see an audience, experiments with things that you wouldn't be able to do in comics. It'll improve your art greatly in the end.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.