Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Heroes Alliance Team Dynamics and Character Roles

Jules
Jules
Posted at

Shadow Fox is a very aggressive and non-sympathetic fighter against his enemies (especially personal ones), but when he's not fighting he's almost a complete opposite.

Personality-wise he's somewhat of a loner and a loser. In groups he'd probably stick out as an outcast because of his poor social skills, but on the other hand, once you get to know him he can be kind, affectionate, and understanding. He admires and has respect for the experienced heroes on the team (Bombshell, SHELL, Relik, & Titan), and I'm not too sure how he'd react with the peers of his age…it would probably depend on the given situation. He would probably have to warm up to them first, or they'd probably joke on him because they'd think he's so soft or feminine or whatever until they'd see how much of a lethal force he is in action.

Overall he's an overly-aggressive fighter yet strongly introverted, shy, and sensitive towards meeting new people..lol.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I've been in just enough shipping fandoms to be careful with the use of x:s connecting names together, Abt.
I do love exploiting semantic ambiguities :P

Not that I wouldn't love to work down that road at some time, if only for both to relive stress from a one-night stand. LOL, Kidding! XD Cute, huh? Obviously she's only scratched the surface of his character.
AHEM. Yeah XD
Well, I'm really only referring to what's scripted in HA #1, and I had always assumed that her attitude toward Virtus is a bit condescending… saying someone is "cute" always has some condescending note to it, I think. That doesn't mean that at that moment she'd necessarily mean it in a bad way, but it's bound to come out in a worse way under extreme situations… and that's why we're here, I think: to put our characters through the most extreme situations! :P

Posted at

Well, I'm really only referring to what's scripted in HA #1, and I had always assumed that her attitude toward Virtus is a bit condescending… saying someone is "cute" always has some condescending note to it, I think. That doesn't mean that at that moment she'd necessarily mean it in a bad way, but it's bound to come out in a worse way under extreme situations… and that's why we're here, I think: to put our characters through the most extreme situations! :P

I agree with the extreme situations part, I love seeing heroes putting everything they got into something, under dire straits and close to the breaking point, and barely making it out of what would could have been a life or death situation.

Posted at

Heeey… what's with all the Relik-hatin'?! Abt, I'm looking at YOU :P 'Kid with dangerous toys' indeed! *huffs* Lol…

Relik: He'd probably respect him, but his "short fuse" that Dave was talking about could keep him from really getting along with him

For the time being, of course… if there's one thing Relik will soon come to understand in my comic, it's that he should be grateful for what little allies he can muster.

Virtus and Bombshell - Like probably 99% of the male members (and perhaps some girls too, who knows? XD) he might be having a hormone-based crush on her. But he respects women too much (or let's just call it plain shyness) to act upon his desires and remains professional.

Speak for yourself, man :P I guess if everyone's going to go down the 'hormone-based crush on her' route not only am I gonna break the mould and have Brad/Relik not at all interested in her in THAT way, but I think it would also be a small mercy since the poor woman sounds like she's about to be FLOODED with admirers. Plus, she thinks he's a BIG KID - that kinda opinion of a guy is so not sexy :D

The best she'll get from him is a respectful, business-formed working relationship… for now. Who knows? Maybe she turns out to be the kinda gal who wants what she can't have *wink-wink* Only kidding!

He may also come off as annoying in the long run for his altruist view on things such as sexuality, interspecies tolerance (demons, elves etc.), life and all that other good stuff.

"Interspecies tolerance" huh? Oh, boy - just wait til Virtus finds out Relik's an ALIEN :O

Imp and Relik: I'm not too sure about this one either….I borrowed characteristics of Imp from myself, and I'm a big fan of Relik, so perhaps Imp would have a fanboy-ish attitude towards him??

HAH! That would not only be awesome and totally cool with me (let alone bewilder Relik), it might even rub Bombshell (and, to an extent, SHELL) up the wrong way comepletely, seeing Imp take to Relik as a rolemodel over them (too dangerous, my ass, lol!).

Bombshell x Relik: I think she would be a bit wary of him… he's obviously very powerful, but for her there's no absolute certainty about whether he can handle his power. So she'd treat him like a kid playing with a dangerous toy… she may like Brad for his charms and looks though.

Huh… right, and see if Brad shows any mutual liking for HER after she's been treating his alter-ego like a child. Yes, Abt, in case you hadn't realised by now, I'm taking this as a good-natured assault on my character, and will now proceed to do everything in my power to make the relationship between the two of them all the more awkward (I already have Relik being practically the only male not attracted to her - poor girl, is she gonna cry into her pillow at night? - he's got pretty much two people who respect (Azumorph) and slightly idolise (Mr. Imp) him. Mate, you've just made me take to the age-old saying 'Hurt the heroes' in a whole new way - cause it's not even my hero! Mwahahahaha!

Joking, but seriously, a little bit of contrast from the majority of the male-characters is a good thing. And besides, both characters views of the other are subject to change over time, so it's all good.

Oh, one more thing Abt…

He admires and has respect for the experienced heroes on the team (Bombshell, SHELL, Relik, & Titan)

See? SEE?! 'Experience hero' - that's Relik :P

Dave

Posted at

Shadow Fox is a very aggressive and non-sympathetic fighter against his enemies (especially personal ones), but when he's not fighting he's almost a complete opposite.

Personality-wise he's somewhat of a loner and a loser. In groups he'd probably stick out as an outcast because of his poor social skills, but on the other hand, once you get to know him he can be kind, affectionate, and understanding. He admires and has respect for the experienced heroes on the team (Bombshell, SHELL, Relik, & Titan), and I'm not too sure how he'd react with the peers of his age…it would probably depend on the given situation. He would probably have to warm up to them first, or they'd probably joke on him because they'd think he's so soft or feminine or whatever until they'd see how much of a lethal force he is in action.

Overall he's an overly-aggressive fighter yet strongly introverted, shy, and sensitive towards meeting new people..lol.

I think Peligroso would appreciate his fighting skills, but isn't exactly the talk to sort of guy, but you never know :D

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I guess if everyone's going to go down the 'hormone-based crush on her' route not only am I gonna break the mould and have Brad/Relik not at all interested in her in THAT way, but I think it would also be a small mercy since the poor woman sounds like she's about to be FLOODED with admirers. Plus, she thinks he's a BIG KID - that kinda opinion of a guy is so not sexy :D

The best she'll get from him is a respectful, business-formed working relationship… for now. Who knows? Maybe she turns out to be the kinda gal who wants what she can't have *wink-wink* Only kidding!

(…)Yes, Abt, in case you hadn't realised by now, I'm taking this as a good-natured assault on my character, and will now proceed to do everything in my power to make the relationship between the two of them all the more awkward (I already have Relik being practically the only male not attracted to her - poor girl, is she gonna cry into her pillow at night? - he's got pretty much two people who respect (Azumorph) and slightly idolise (Mr. Imp) him. Mate, you've just made me take to the age-old saying 'Hurt the heroes' in a whole new way - cause it's not even my hero! Mwahahahaha!

Joking, but seriously, a little bit of contrast from the majority of the male-characters is a good thing. And besides, both characters views of the other are subject to change over time, so it's all good.
I do agree. I haven't really commented on that, but I seriously doubt that most male members on the team would have a crush on Bombshell… I don't think she's the kind of person you'd wanna be with (at least, not for a longer time… :P)

Regarding Relik: The main point is that he's way more powerful than her, and she can't be sure she can control him, because she can't be too sure he can control his own powers. She'd probably rather ditch Brad and have the suit for herself! :P And maybe the kid/toy thing was a bad metaphor (= my meager attempt at de-escalation) :P

Hero
Hero
Posted at

- he's got pretty much two people who respect (Azumorph) and slightly idolise (Mr. Imp) him.

Well, unless at some point in the foreseeable future, Relik decides to punch Comet Kid in the face or blatantly murder in front of him, (and, possibly if he just had a really good reason to punch him), Comet Kid is his fan. Though not a fan of the Relik action figure as the cape completely unbalances it and necessitates the use of a included stand.

Posted at

I do agree. I haven't really commented on that, but I seriously doubt that most male members on the team would have a crush on Bombshell… I don't think she's the kind of person you'd wanna be with (at least, not for a longer time… :P)

I smell at least one more fanservice issue with that sentence in mind. XD Seriously though, I guess the newer members feel better around her then? After all, wouldn't have gotten her first recruit if she hadn't left a good first impression.

Speak for yourself, man :P I guess if everyone's going to go down the 'hormone-based crush on her' route not only am I gonna break the mould and have Brad/Relik not at all interested in her in THAT way, but I think it would also be a small mercy since the poor woman sounds like she's about to be FLOODED with admirers. Plus, she thinks he's a BIG KID - that kinda opinion of a guy is so not sexy :D

Geez, people take that 99% joke way too seriously. I'm not assuming that Bombshell has a flood of admirers either, but it would be a flat-out lie to say that she doesn't have sex appeal, and I designed Virtus as a highly sexual, albeit supressed individual. I have personal, albeit reverse experience with this "Everyone wants (insert name of fictional character here)" when it comes to Virtus, who has, at least in the DeviantArt audience, both fictional and real-life fangirls which I can't even count if had three extra sets of five fingers. XD As long as her definition of him doesn't go from 'cute' to 'skilled', I hardly think sparks will fly between the two.

"Interspecies tolerance" huh? Oh, boy - just wait til Virtus finds out Relik's an ALIEN :O

He'd react in the exact way you'd suspect. ;)

Virtus: "You're an alien… So what?"

A personal quote of mine:

"It doesn't matter WHAT you are. It only matters WHO you are." Words to live by.

Posted at

Regarding Relik: The main point is that he's way more powerful than her, and she can't be sure she can control him, because she can't be too sure he can control his own powers. She'd probably rather ditch Brad and have the suit for herself! :P And maybe the kid/toy thing was a bad metaphor (= my meager attempt at de-escalation) :P

Awkward apology accepted, lol.

Wait, she's afraid she can't 'control' him? Isn't this one of the reasons the HA broke away from the HU, because they didn't like being controlled in the first place? *GASP* Is this a future side to Bombshell you're teasing us with? There's all these rumours of a subconscious dictator below her surface anyway, but now THIS…!

Oh, and you'll soon find out that, in 'Relik' it's not so much he can't control his powers (he's much better in the time between 'Relik' and 'Retake') as it is he still doesn't know the full extent of the suit's powers…or it's purpose. (He never did get to read that instruction manual!).

Hah, and if she wants to try the suit she's more than welcome - unlike the Relik-agents, his actual RELIK-suit only works for his species. The best she'd get is a kinky new belt :P

And yeah, you better be soory about the 'toy' analogy…before Relik decides to play Cowboys and Injuns with her - with his energy beams!

Well, unless at some point in the foreseeable future, Relik decides to punch Comet Kid in the face or blatantly murder in front of him, (and, possibly if he just had a really good reason to punch him), Comet Kid is his fan. Though not a fan of the Relik action figure as the cape completely unbalances it and necessitates the use of a included stand.

HUZZAH! Three fans! Looks like Relik might be forced into leadership by the majority after all! (joke)

Yeah…the punching in the face probably will never happen - the RELIK-suit integrated his HA communicator, so he'll be constantly protected from the Psychosis Wave, so no excuses to punch a kid in the face (unless he's drunk and Comet Kid dares him to…I dunno where that came from).

Oh, and I know. The Relik action figures are useless - the semi-transparent 'energy-blasts' you can attach to his hands make him topple over, too.

Now, if you want a good action-figure, pick up a Bombshell doll. Rumours say it's anatomically correct! Oh, yeah…

I smell at least one more fanservice issue with that sentence in mind. XD Seriously though, I guess the newer members feel better around her then? After all, wouldn't have gotten her first recruit if she hadn't left a good first impression.

Sebastian, would that fanservice issue happen to be an 'Everybody Loves Bombshell' story, like that episode of Buffy where Xander's love potion for Cordelia went wrong, and ALL the girls in high school fall murderously in love with him? Cos a story like that - only with some scientist injecting her with something that makes her release 'Poison Ivy-like' irresitableness (meh, it's a word now) instead of a potion - would be pretty awesome.

Geez, people take that 99% joke way too seriously. I'm not assuming that Bombshell has a flood of admirers either, but it would be a flat-out lie to say that she doesn't have sex appeal, and I designed Virtus as a highly sexual, albeit supressed individual. I have personal, albeit reverse experience with this "Everyone wants (insert name of fictional character here)" when it comes to Virtus, who has, at least in the DeviantArt audience, both fictional and real-life fangirls which I can't even count if had three extra sets of five fingers. XD As long as her definition of him doesn't go from 'cute' to 'skilled', I hardly think sparks will fly between the two.

Well, I wouldn't know about raving, rabid fangirls…EVER. I want some! :P

But yeah, I knew it was a joke, but I'm giving Brad parts of myself, too. And, by the time any of this character development rolls around, he should already have a very special someone in his life - and I'm a one-girl kinda guy, which sucks for Brad. Tough luck, girls, he's taken!

He'd react in the exact way you'd suspect. ;)

Virtus: "You're an alien… So what?"

A personal quote of mine:

"It doesn't matter WHAT you are. It only matters WHO you are." Words to live by.

Whoops - my bad! I always get 'tolerance' and 'INtolerance' mixed-up. Thought there'd be conflict (darn).

Posted at

Now, if you want a good action-figure, pick up a Bombshell doll. Rumours say it's anatomically correct! Oh, yeah…

Heck, if they managed to do one of Jim Balent's Tarot, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they pulled that off. XD

Sebastian, would that fanservice issue happen to be an 'Everybody Loves Bombshell' story, like that episode of Buffy where Xander's love potion for Cordelia went wrong, and ALL the girls in high school fall murderously in love with him? Cos a story like that - only with some scientist injecting her with something that makes her release 'Poison Ivy-like' irresitableness (meh, it's a word now) instead of a potion - would be pretty awesome.

I was thinking more along the lines of a hippie-like villain with "the answer to end all wars" throwing a vial of concentrated pheromones into the air vents of the HA's base, causing everyone that breathes it in, depending on the strength of their willpower, to have their libidos increased tenfold. But your idea is good too. ;)

But yeah, I knew it was a joke, but I'm giving Brad parts of myself, too. And, by the time any of this character development rolls around, he should already have a very special someone in his life - and I'm a one-girl kinda guy, which sucks for Brad. Tough luck, girls, he's taken!

The same goes for Virtus, who is a blatant author avatar XD. Sebastian Sandberg > Virtus/Seb Sanders, I'm suprised no-one has called me out for having a big ego with that self-based main character of mine in this yet. It helps that his supporting cast are based on friends and family as well, some of them main characters in their own right.

Lol, nothing wrong with being a one-girl kind of guy. As long as you don't mind the honestly polyamorous Virtus on the same team.

Whoops - my bad! I always get 'tolerance' and 'INtolerance' mixed-up. Thought there'd be conflict (darn).

Somehow, with altruist in the same sentence, that was a pretty big goof-up of yours. Wouldn't be able to consider him an altruist if he had "fantastic racist" views, right?

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

The same goes for Virtus, who is a blatant author avatar XD. Sebastian Sandberg > Virtus/Seb Sanders, I'm suprised no-one has called me out for having a big ego with that self-based main character of mine in this yet. It helps that his supporting cast are based on friends and family as well, some of them main characters in their own right.

I noticed it, but I didn't say anything, more or less because I do it to with Azumorph (James Aaronson > Aaron Lee). Hell, nearly everybody does it. Not just us HU/HA guys, but nearly every other webcomic ever, and then some!

I already have Relik being practically the only male not attracted to [Bombshell]

Azu's pretty much the same way. Sure he'll take a quick glance at her ass when she bends over or walks by, but that's about it.

Posted at

I think most heroes reflect their creators in some views or another, and I doubt anyone would not glance that Bombshells behind XP

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

…I guess the newer members feel better around [Bombshell] then? After all, wouldn't have gotten her first recruit if she hadn't left a good first impression.
I can't say whether the newer members really feel better around her… I think she's just a charismatic personality, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'd wanna hook up with her.

Wait, she's afraid she can't 'control' him? Isn't this one of the reasons the HA broke away from the HU, because they didn't like being controlled in the first place? *GASP* Is this a future side to Bombshell you're teasing us with? There's all these rumours of a subconscious dictator below her surface anyway, but now THIS…!
Maybe, maybe not… >:P

Hero
Hero
Posted at

Are we still talking about team building and dynamic, here? If not, can we stop before these mega-quote posts eat this part of the forum into unrecognizability?

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Right. I deleted some posts, but I hope I salvaged everything important - mainly, all of the posts about team dynamics (beginning with Wes_Nero123's post on Apr 22nd). There's also this bit about another fanservice issue, and I don't know how serious I should take that at this point, but I'll leave it in there for future reference. Anybody taking an interest in it should probably post it again in the stories/storylines thread.

Anybody who'd like to create an off topic or misc chatter thread, go right ahead. Just so there's no misunderstanding, discussion about the relationships between creators and their characters, and anything interesting you can think of, are welcomed, but Hero's absolutely right: it shouldn't be in this thread.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Reposted here from the HA comments:

Some possible character conflicts: Vora's a greasemonkey and looks like a bit of a tomboy. (And is a goddess by heritage.) Would she be put out by Bombshell's looks and pole dancer costume? Would Shell constantly warm his fellows about collatoral damage, given his origin? Would Comet Kid and Titan resent being treated as kids?
Nepath's FEARLESS, with his darker, more vigilante ways, might fit into here too…or Plot Twist from ACROBAT…but you've got more than enough characters right now.
My thoughts:
(1) I actually don't know how much of an issue Bombshell's costume would be for anyone :3
(2) Shell has probably accepted some sort of pragmatic outlook…? I don't see how he would otherwise accomplish any mission. But that's for fukujinzuke to answer.
(3) I'm always trying not to make it look like anyone is treating Comet Kid and Titan as kids. Back when I was writing HU: EGO I consciously tried to show that the HU Commander is willing to let Titan assume responsibility, and that while being insecure to a certain degree, Titan can also handle that responsibility. Comet Kid has also proved himself more than once. So I don't see any reason why they should be treated as kids.

Hero
Hero
Posted at

Well, to be fair, Comet Kid does act pretty childish himself a good 95% of the time so I figure he expects people to treat him how he acts. But, since he does get the job done and knows the 5% of the time to be serious, he'd probably expect people to take him seriously when he does. Ya know, like if Comet Kid says "This isn't a joke, get serious," you know you're facing a probable apocalypse.

Posted at

I agree, I always thought of Comet as the type of guy who some people wonder if he is really a hero cause of his childish nature, but he proves himself time and time again that he is a good hero and deserves some respect :)

Nepath
Nepath
Posted at

My outlook for Titan is that the way she appears in Energize now is a much more confident character in both her attitude and her belief in her strength.

The Titan here is still unsure of herself. Stronger than she realises and uncertain about the pressure on her to change the future. Also, she knows more about whats to come than she lets on but regrets the lies she has to tell.

From my point of view I would like Titan's adventures with the HA are where she learns that confidence. Probably from someone like Bombshell.

Posted at

So you could say that HA is sort of like how Titan will "grow up" in a way, from the adventures and ordeals that she faces in HA, will help her to realize herself, and thus give her the confidence that she would have like she does in the Energize comic?

Posted at

Abt: No offense to Al, but I think he only scratched the surface of the characters there. XD
(1) I think Virtus would wonder (NOTE: WONDER, not talk loudly about it) about the practicality of wearing a one-piece, but it's not polite to ask that. XD The tongue-in-cheek explanation you give us is due to her being a closet exhibitionist, but we have no idea how she would respond to give a real answer, do we? XD

Nepath: I did have an idea for a "Goodbye to Titan" short story for whenever we pass the in-universe year mark for the HA stories that separate them from current events in your own projects, perhaps as a last step in her transition from the insecure Titan to the confident one we'll see in Energize: Hunted?

Posted at

Reposted here from the HA comments:

Some possible character conflicts: …Would Shell constantly warm his fellows about collateral damage, given his origin? …
My thoughts:

(2) Shell has probably accepted some sort of pragmatic outlook…? I don't see how he would otherwise accomplish any mission. But that's for fukujinzuke to answer.

SHELL's not really all that talkative. He might ask about the potential level of collateral damage, but he's more likely to pull a ". . . ." and break off to eliminate/minimize that himself rather than repeatedly slap co-members with reminders.

Besides, in joining this team up, he knows for a fact that there are several members in there (the ones who are more likely to plan mission executions) who would already take potential levels of collateral damage into account. And having worked with them before, there's a level of trust there so as to not compel him to pester them about it at every event. Also, nobody on the early (unreleased) issues on the team has been "beat the bad guy at all costs" so…

Of course, that'd be interesting to stir things up, but probably wouldn't happen until Dave's issue at the soonest.

Nepath
Nepath
Posted at

Nepath: I did have an idea for a "Goodbye to Titan" short story for whenever we pass the in-universe year mark for the HA stories that separate them from current events in your own projects, perhaps as a last step in her transition from the insecure Titan to the confident one we'll see in Energize: Hunted?

Sounds cool - although I hope that doesn't mean you are kicking Titan from the team?

As for the catching up with HU continuity - the only time i think you will want to reference anything from it (i.e. show that you have caught up) is when it ends. Big HU changes…

I did think that it may be a good idea half way through your first season to switch Titan to her new costume.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I think we're all pretty much on the same page when it comes to Titan. I haven't been planning anything explicit for her at this point though, so everyone is free to make suggestions. There are a lot of threads to weave together, and I haven't figured out everyone's places in our stories, including Titan's.

The tongue-in-cheek explanation you give us is due to her being a closet exhibitionist, but we have no idea how she would respond to give a real answer, do we? XD
Tongue-in-cheek is right. I think the closet exhibionist thing originally came from the funnies I did as a bonus for HU: EGO. Seriously speaking: Bombshell's costume (or lack thereof) is more of a case of "hiding in plain sight". I think it distracts bystanders from readily recognizing her (the old Superman/Clark Kent thing). There's actually a little bit in the official EGO storyline, where she explains why she's NOT wearing her usual costume - because there are no villains around to distract.

As for fukujinzuke's comments regarding Shell, I agree there's potential conflict between team members, and that's something we can explore down the line. For now, I'll assume Shell will do what he can to minimize collateral damage, with a pragmatic touch. By that I mean: If there's a villain who's constantly throwing civilians from a roof, you'd have to go after the villain himself at some point, instead of spending your entire time catching the civilians. Maybe for him, being on a team means: Someone can catch the civilians while the other one goes after the villain… something you couldn't do on your own.

Posted at

Does EVERYTHING I dare to say here on the forum have to be misconstrued? lol!

Nepath: I didn't mean it like that. But I don't think it will involve kicking her off the team, I felt that she would leave on her own accord, after she has grown up, as you put it. But unless I remember incorrectly, there will have to come a time when Titan is removed from the line-up, temporarily or permanently, you didn't specify.

New costume halfway through the first season, noted. :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.