Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Well, there's no need to push it. The idea's going nowhere, and the participants (hopefully) aren't either. If anything, it should be advertised more, if there's really no other way of getting at least another character. (I think it should be advertised either way.)

Posted at

Kou who is possibly mad I have free time comming up at the end of the
month if you want to give me a script for the intro for your to
tournament thing I can draw it up!

Posted at

i'd like everyone's opinion on this, but based on feedback, the idea i remember hearing was it taking place in a Large, Black Tower.
From there, i imagine a Powerful Being of Unknown Origin summons the combatants in order fight each other for the prize of 1 Wish.

That was the rough idea from what i remember, if anyone wishes to interject with their ideas, go ahead.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Sounds fun! My characters aren't all fighters, but some are…and the others can certainly take a punch.

I have a couple; one or two or three of them could participate, as needed…

WADE  is a tall (6'5") dim brute. Though he's a softie way deep down, he's a brawler and revels in it. He's very strong but not superhuman, and prefers fighting multiple partners.

PENELOPE is a tall (6'6"), cute, kinda chubby and kinda muscular, blonde with pigtails and light freckles. She knows how to fight, but is more a lover by nature. She's very strong as well, though not superhuman. She's happy, bubbly, and impulsive.

OSCAR is an average, pale slacker with dark rings under his eyes. He's a soft, empathetic sort who loves movies and has a dry sense of humor. However, when provoked properly, he has a hidden berserker side. He becomes a savage, feral being. His savagery seems to increase his strength, endurance and fighting prowess.

TK is a smart and snarky and would fight more with his wits than physical prowess. He's sort of a Bill Murray type. Or a Bugs Bunny type.

Ok…that's too many characters. XD   ………..Whichever one or two that would add interest to the whole would be fun.

All of the characters are from Typical Strange (linked below).

Posted at

we could definitly use an Every man, i'd say Oscar for the sake of variety.

and if i'm not mistaken, that makes 8.
i believe we can begin writing the story.

I imagine A powerful Sorceror Summons the 8 'Contestants' To the Black Tower Which exists in a Dimension with a very dark Sky. The Winner shall win a single Wish, Who will win?

Guys? We have the 8 Characters, we just need to get Make up a Villain and start it up.

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

I definitely think a powerful sorcerer should be involved.  Whether he is the true villain or not remains to be seen.  Actually, a LOT remains to be seen.  Do we have NPCs?  Many, few?  How about minions and security?  Has anybody heard of this kind of tourney before to lead credence to it?
I like the black tower idea, but it may get to become a monotonous location for the 7+ fights.  Perhaps it’s a waypoint of nexus for the completion with fights being held elsewhere?

Oh dear, I’ve asked more questions than I’ve answered.  How’s about another one to top the last lot: 
Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion most radical?  This forum seems a mighty…slow and limited method of communication.  Perhaps a medium such as Skype could pick up our pace—at least for the planning process.  As of now, we are 8 strangers tentatively planning a tourney in a public forum.  If we want any secrets or mystery we need some different way of talking about them so as to keep readers blissfully in the dark.

Posted at

Yeah, i've been waiting for any response for a while now, perhaps Skype is the way to go.
or at least a more active place away from drunk duck.

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

I just sent out PQs to all formerly interested parties; not
sure if anyone will notice but it seemed the right way to remind folks that
this exists.

Anyway, I don’t know what platform we want to use for
regular communication about this project, but my skype handle is
Ink-wolfe.  If you want to chat about
this project, feel free to look me up—just make sure that you tell me that it’s
for the Tourney or I’ll assume you are a bot.

shastab24
shastab24
Posted at

Sorry, I'd forgotten about this.  Anyways, I think I'd submit Eiderdown from Karabear Comics Unlimited.

Posted at

What Shastab said. TOTALLY forgot about this whole thing, I'm terribly sorry.
I like to continue where Ink left off, however I have only one question right about now. How long or short do we want the whole thing to be? 'Cause I certainly would like to see the contestants going through some ordeals before actually combatting each other. A kind of "tuition" for the battles, Trying to get through a maze of corridors with changing layout, fighting minoins and/or monsters, etc.

Posted at

we can do that, of course since the main attraction is the actual fights between characters, the monsters can't be too strong.
Edit: Annnnnnnnnnnd Skype isn't working for me.

MaxAxil
MaxAxil
Posted at

I am back(well not mpan. I took a really long break.) and i'm stil up for it.
Oh, for readers of mpan, sorry about the break. I'vd become engrossed on my ps4. I'll try getting back to it by march 17, once i picked up my copy of ff type 0 hd.

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

I hope you’re able to troubleshoot your Skype problem Kou—Snow, Max and I are already connected and it would be a very convenient way to communicate.

It’s been a while since we started, so let’s get a quick recap:

The proposed idea is a fighting tournament inspired by the sort on Deviant Art (such as the Law of Telos).  A shadowy figure gathers exceptional folk from all over, bribing and coercing them into battle to fulfil his unknown agenda.  
The title “Fightsplosion” has been suggested for this project
A black tower has been suggested for the Final location (or main location, or such)
Rules for matches and victors need to be established
Minions or hazardous environments has been suggested for Character development
Matches resolve with the KO of a character rather than death

–Our eight contestants are:–
Dany “the Ice Pick”           an Ice guy
William Tell                        Telekinetic sniper    
Evangeline                          Demonic suit wearing 16-year-old
Kyoko Tachibana               Armed mage with affinity for Ice       
Henry                                  The Bogyman
Zeyrah Streamline            Hedgehog
Ink                                        Banshire trickster with a glaive
Oscar                                   Part-time berserker 
Eiderdown                          (insert description later)   

Tallent:
Call me Tom, SnowTheHedgehog, and Shastab24 are willing to draw
Niccea and Ink are willing to color

Phew, we barely have anything settled and already it looks like we need a record keeper/organizer.  

For today’s assignment I need everyone to tell me what roles they want to play in this project—artists, writers, planers, web designers, organizers, advertisers, etc…  we can’t get started if we don’t know where we stand.  Also, bonus points to anyone who wants to solicit other authors on this site to join.  We need contestants, NPCs, and Cameos.  Let’s see what we can gather

MaxAxil
MaxAxil
Posted at

I can only draw people so I'm no good at helping with the art(Also my only medium are pencils and color pencils.)
I can probably help write or plan(maybe organize) 

MaxAxil
MaxAxil
Posted at

A Question to ask, are alliances allowed?
You know, like in Dissidia where characters travel together or something? 

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Yeah, I'm still down for it!

I can help with a little writing/planning.

I'll try and rally a couple more author/contributors too if we want more participants.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Thinking of structure…

ONE PAGE:
it could start with a wizard or someone who knows about the powerful being and hint that something big and multiverse-shaking is about to happen. It can be vague on this page if we want. "It begins."

ONE PAGE EACH:
Then we could show a character in their own world. They see a doorway or hear a voice or whatever form "The Call" takes. The character enters the door/heads to the light/whatever. This could be every character in the tourney or just the one or two who are about to fight.

then we can show the character, with stats and particulars printed for the audience (we could do this again, or a less wordy version, when the two characters actually fight. Before the fight, there can be a two-shot, with the combatants side by side and a brief description of each).

THE FIGHT (SEVERAL PAGES EACH)
Will the fights all be purely physical, in a closed ring or tournament-style stadium? Can the fights take various forms and occur in various realities (like one or both of the combatants' realities?). I guess I was assuming it would be either some kind of stadium, or a garden path where the combatants encounter each other and are commanded to fight…

Posted at

Sounds good so far. One page for character introduction each might be a bit few (though I certainly have no problem with that), but we'll want to remember that the main idea of this is not to advertise our comics. The introduction doesn't necessarily have to be elaborate or cohesive - giving insights that raise more questions than they answer have always been fun in my opinion. I'd also strongly recommend not to involve hard numbers for stats. It'll only end up in dick measuring contests every time two characters engage in a fight. How about a couple bullet points stating what respective characters are (in-) famous for in their world/community instead? 
What hassles me more is the fights themselves.
A.) We shouldn't try to go too over the top with our environments. Not trying to speak for the other draftsmen here, but I've only recently acquired a drawing pad that I yet have to get the hang of and I need to get a new program for it, too,  since the one I got with it plain sucks.
B.) Do we still want to go with the idea of having the audience decide for the winner of each fight? If so, we'll need to think of some sort of structure. E.g. 5 pages of fighting, voting break, and to avoid the silly "sudden K.O.", another five pages of fighting (without letting the audience know who got more votes) and eventually the winner advancing. Another option would be a K.O.-less fight; the fighting happens, then the referee ends it, voting happens - winner advances, loser goes home. Which, I'm gonna be honest, feels like a cheap cop out.

Posted at

Is this still happing? I'm in!

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

My word is not Law, but let me answer questions anyway in an effort to cement things in as I understand them.  Feel free to correct me or question my answers.

MaxAxil wrote:
A Question to ask, are alliances allowed?
You know, like in Dissidia where characters travel together or something? 

The way I understand it, folks are pretty much traveling alone until their battles and until we get more contestants, the “best” fighters will only have three of those battles.  After that of course, there’s nothing stopping the folks that have met up from traveling with each other.

Call Me Tom wrote:
Is this still happing? I'm in!

This is very much still happening.  Please, I want what talents you can bring to this and any plans/ideas/input you can muster.  Let’s make this a wall of text people!

Banes wrote:
Thinking of structure… 
ONE PAGE:
it could start with a wizard or someone who knows about the powerful being and hint that something big and multiverse-shaking is about to happen. It can be vague on this page if we want. "It begins."
ONE PAGE EACH:
Then we could show a character in their own world. They see a doorway or hear a voice or whatever form "The Call" takes. The character enters the door/heads to the light/whatever. This could be every character in the tourney or just the one or two who are about to fight.
Then we can show the character, with stats and particulars printed for the audience (we could do this again, or a less wordy version, when the two characters actually fight. Before the fight, there can be a two-shot, with the combatants side by side and a brief description of each).
THE FIGHT (SEVERAL PAGES EACH)
Will the fights all be purely physical, in a closed ring or tournament-style stadium? Can the fights take various forms and occur in various realities (like one or both of the combatants' realities?). I guess I was assuming it would be either some kind of stadium, or a garden path where the combatants encounter each other and are commanded to fight…

We need folks thinking about format and timing; thanks Banes!  I don’t see anything wrong with your idea for character and setting introduction—let’s see if we can use it!
For the fights, I’ve been assuming that we’ll have them take place in many different locations for variety’s sake, each location decided by the contestants of the battle (rather, the authors of the contestants get together and decide where they want the fight to take place and the evil wizard makes it happen).

SnowTheHedgehog wrote:
Sounds good so far. One page for character introduction each might be a bit few (though I certainly have no problem with that), but we'll want to remember that the main idea of this is not to advertise our comics. The introduction doesn't necessarily have to be elaborate or cohesive - giving insights that raise more questions than they answer have always been fun in my opinion. I'd also strongly recommend not to involve hard numbers for stats. It'll only end up in dick measuring contests every time two characters engage in a fight. How about a couple bullet points stating what respective characters are (in-) famous for in their world/community instead? 
What hassles me more is the fights themselves.
A.) We shouldn't try to go too over the top with our environments. Not trying to speak for the other draftsmen here, but I've only recently acquired a drawing pad that I yet have to get the hang of and I need to get a new program for it, too,  since the one I got with it plain sucks.
B.) Do we still want to go with the idea of having the audience decide for the winner of each fight? If so, we'll need to think of some sort of structure. E.g. 5 pages of fighting, voting break, and to avoid the silly "sudden K.O.", another five pages of fighting (without letting the audience know who got more votes) and eventually the winner advancing. Another option would be a K.O.-less fight; the fighting happens, then the referee ends it, voting happens - winner advances, loser goes home. Which, I'm gonna be honest, feels like a cheap cop out.

Thanks for the caution Snow; we do need to consider logistics too.  
Idealy we shouldn’t have to worry too much about involved environments because they will only be as detailed as we feel comfortable making.  That said, we’ve a fairly wide talent pool to draw from so I think it will all work out.
I like the idea of the Audience deciding on the Victors of the match, but clearly such a method needs work.  I think that we should allow each person one vote per page as long as the fight goes on (either in the comment section or a forum linked to in the comic) and by the time the fight wraps up we have a victor (the other KO’d).  It keeps it all up in the air and the audience involved right down to the last.  (Authors may vote too so as to set an example, but no alt accounts voting).

Keep the ideas and input coming people, and try to shake the folks that already signed up earlier.  I’ll be checking into this forum daily to keep the ball rolling!

PS:  Skype is a truly wonderful tool for multi-author comic planning—and I can say this from experience.  I’m currently and author in the comic Haunted House (shameless self-plug http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=148505)  and that’s what we all use to communicate.  please, help me to help you; get on skype or at least look into it!

Posted at

Kou, you said Skype isn't working for you (I didn't notice before, sorry). What exactly isn't working?

Posted at

Okay Here is what I think need to happen,
 1: set a date for all of this or else every thing will just shamble on with nothing solid happing!
 2: get the background story sortied so I can get started on drawing it!

As for fights I think 7 pages, with taking winer vote at 4 pages. (first page square off, second combaint a attack, third combaint b attack and fourth both stailmate.)

character intro 1 to 3 pages (drawn by there owner?).

Posted at

Yeah, I think the exact planning of who does what in which page and panel is what we should avoid doing. Even with the different characters' varying skillset, I'm afraid it would seem stale and repetitive after a while. Of course each character should be guaranteed of getting the chance to "let it all loose", but the pace of the battle (which doesn't necessarily predetermines the length of it) should be determined by the characters' different ways to go about this.

Posted at

SnowTheHedgehog wrote:
Kou, you said Skype isn't working for you (I didn't notice before, sorry). What exactly isn't working?
says Skype Can't Connect (tried using my facebook, doesn't work either.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.