Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Hm… Have you registered with a username instead of an email address? Or typed the email wrong? It could also be that your firewall is preset to block Skype. If all of these don't work, try running an update, aaand… that's pretty much all I have.

Posted at

come to think of it Chatango stopped working for me a little while ago to.

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

Call Me Tom wrote:
Okay Here is what I think need to happen, 
 1: set a date for all of this or else every thing will just shamble on with nothing solid happing!
 2: get the background story sortied so I can get started on drawing it!

As for fights I think 7 pages, with taking winer vote at 4 pages. (first page square off, second combaint a attack, third combaint b attack and fourth both stailmate.)

character intro 1 to 3 pages (drawn by there owner?).
  I agree that dates and scheduals are needed to keep us on track, but there is still far too much unsettled to presently set a date.
As for the formulaic approach to pages, fights and votes, I think it’d be best that we play that a little more free-form.  Certainly a limit to how long someone can spend on a single page or set of pages, but having such a rigid method for the fights would certainly become repetitive.
 I cannot express how glad I am that you are eager to start drawing.  Do you think you could sketch up a couple drawing for our evil sorcerer?  His design has gone by the way side.

SnowTheHedgehog wrote:
Yeah, I think the exact planning of who does what in which page and panel is what we should avoid doing. Even with the different characters' varying skillset, I'm afraid it would seem stale and repetitive after a while. Of course each character should be guaranteed of getting the chance to "let it all loose", but the pace of the battle (which doesn't necessarily predetermines the length of it) should be determined by the characters' different ways to go about this.
I agree.  

Kou, it sounds like you’ve got a bigger issue than a simple one with skype.  It may be your firewall, or malware, or some plugin that has stopped working.  I really don’t know where to start.  If it were simpler, I’d suggest uninstalling and reinstalling skype, but at this point your best bet may be tech support.  
By the way, I’m very grateful that that you’re actively trying to forward us with our communication efforts.  Hopefully we can talk soon.

MaxAxil
MaxAxil
Posted at

I can make character art too if you want. But I wont guarantee it would be of high quality.

Posted at

disabled avast's firewall and chatango started working immediately.
it was Avast all along, gonna reinstall skype and try again.
Edit: Yup, it was Avast the whole time, Skype is working again.

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

Kou, my skype handle is Ink-wolf, and I expect I shall be online 'till morning.  feel free to look me up.

Posted at

mine is KouTheMad (they might all be lower case or there might be spaces.)

Posted at

Amphisboena, or RBellhaeuser@web.de. I recommend using the latter, that way you won't end up having to pick from half a dozen accounts that all use a similar profile name.

Ink_wolf
Ink_wolf
Posted at

Banes, Call Me Tom, and Niccea;  I’d greatly appreciate if you would join us on Skype (Kou, Max, Snow and I are already on).  In a nutshell, it blows this forum out of the water.  Said the long way…

Skype holds numerous advantages over the online forum in terms of efficiency, clarity, availability, and secrecy of communication.  As such, it should be our first pick for the duration of our discussion, as I will illustrate.  Skype chats are more efficient than Forum posts in (most importantly) speed of communication.  Interaction between as little as two or as many as we may become is near immediate, and allows authors to essentially talk to one another as opposed to the missive writing required by the clunky forum.  Voice chat, screen and file sharing are also features of Skype allowing updates on pages, scripts, and all manner of information to be transferred quickly and easily; improving clarity.  Skype is just as if not more readily available than this forum; it’s free and runs not only on windows and mac, but tablets, and smartphones too.  It also does not have a habit of being down for hours if not months at a time, unlike a certain comic site I know of.  Finally, and most importantly, Skype allows us secrecy in our communications so that we do not spoil that which is to come in the comic.  When we are planning such things as winners of fights, the last thing we need is readers reading ahead and spoiling the action.

In case you don’t already have a Skype account, here’s the site for the download:
http://www.skype.com/en/
Again, it’s free and ideal for our purposes.  Join us.

In other news, Kou and I have been talking (via Skype!) and have come up with some simple outlines for the comic.

1. A wizard did it
Long ago have we decided that a powerful sorcerer should be the organizer of this tournament, and although Kou and I agree with that whole-heartedly, we believe that we deserve more.  In addition to our sorcerer, there should be several recruiters under him that gather the contestants for the competition.  Said recruiters may and likely will use any and all means to garner fighters for the tournament, not limited to: kidnapping, blackmail, lies, threats, bribes, favors and even the truth.

In addition to the recruiters, we will need at least one announcer for the matches who will also act as referee (like there are any rules to enforce :3), and/or commentator.  

We probably ought to have security forces, medical faculty, cooks, maintenance, janitors, etc..  in the background.  This leads to point number 2

2. Moar Cameos
Cameos can be a challenge in some comic efforts, but for us, they are essential.  A cameo is like free advertising, as it gets at least one fan invested and likely to speak of the comic his character cameos in.  it also gives your average reader a little thrill to recognize characters they have come to love crossing over into other works.  What we are conducting is something akin to Drunk Duck all-stars; how will we accomplish that if we don’t have the stars?

If possible. Cameos should be placed where they make sense, in the roles outlined in “A wizard did it”. 

3. Voting time
Now that we’ve got readers (in theory) we ought to get them involved so they keep coming back for more.  I’ve already proposed my idea on voting, but allow me to explain it a tad further:
Simply put, as soon as a fight starts, everyone (including authors) gets one vote-per-page as long as the fight progresses.  This allows folks to essentially ‘change their minds’ and start voting for the opposite guy halfway through the match.  It also keeps readers involved up until the very end, as they can’t simply vote once and walk away.  Additionally, it actively encourages consistent comments, which just fuels my drive to create all the more.

It’s a quick, easy, and fun way to conduct our battles, and I really hope for all our sakes that we embrace it.

4. Environments and hazards
I think I can speak for all of us when I say the same local over and over and over again just gets boring (just like wrestling).  With eight of us, we’ve got 7 battles to slog through at a minimum—for Peat’s sake let’s get some variety!  We can have simple fighting rings, fields, and abandoned building complexes for the easy backgrounds in the beginning if we like, but I personally recommend that we reach for the fantastic in our fights, that allow contestants to use their environments to their advantage.  The field of a battle just fought with soldiers and weapons scattered across it, a shanty town with shadowy citizens built up multi-storied into the sky, a deep forest scattered with poacher’s traps, a busy subway station; the possibilities are endless!

Get on Skype and tell us what you think.  Do you have someone lined up for your first fight?  Do you know folks that want to join either as cameos or authors?  How do you feel about this fight being posted to Deviant Art, or Smack Jeeves in addition to the duck?  Come online and share! 

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Added Kou to my to Skype. Too many people came up under ink-wolf. I'm Niccea (with a capital N). Just updated my avatar to make it easier to spot. I'm home in the evenings, but my computer/Skype isn't always on.

Posted at

come and join us on Skype, we already got a Beta Sketch of the Villain.

Posted at

Guuuys, come on, we need you on Skype!

Posted at

bit slow lately, we still need some more people.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.