Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Let's talk about cash

Othosmops
Othosmops
Posted at

In Europe, inflation is high and interest rates are low. It doesn't make much sense to put money away. So I thought: do something useful and place an ad on DD; you'll be promoting the best online comic community on the Internet.
This was my first ad, and I didn't have much expectation in terms of hits - but hey, the numbers went through the roof. I was totally intrigued, and I'm waiting for the time when the hits will have dropped back down to a reasonable level.
In brief, I found this short foray into commercial to be an extremely positive experience.

That brings me to the purpose of this post: what about the return on these ads on the operator side? I can calculate on one hand that the operation of DD costs a fair amount of money, and of course we would (I assume) also like to see a further development of the site in the direction of "responsive". But wouldn't there have to be quite different dimensions of advertising revenue in the cash register to make that possible?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good points!

Yes, the ads here don't give us much money, if it wasn't for the Patreon we'd be in trouble. But we keep the costs low so people can easily promote their passions :D

It'd be more cost effective if there was a rotation of about 3 or four ads a day in the current slots… and yeah, that would lead us to earning enough money for improvements.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

Not sure how well this would work, but has anyone looked at Comicad.net for advertising on the main pages of The Duck? It is bid-based and resembles Project Wonderful from back in the day. Perhaps that might be a way to diversify the ad money intake in addition to the current internal system?

Just curious if that has been looked at.

Posted at

hpkomic wrote:
Not sure how well this would work, but has anyone looked at Comicad.net for advertising on the main pages of The Duck? It is bid-based and resembles Project Wonderful from back in the day. Perhaps that might be a way to diversify the ad money intake in addition to the current internal system?

Just curious if that has been looked at.

An interesting idea but, and this is just me, I've grown to despise bidding for ad slots. There is always some whale that makes you constantly have to try and reclaim a slot even with autobid.

It's a nice revenue stream for the host but not the best experience for end users.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.