Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

(Bug Report) Ghoooost comments...

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

I know it's spooky season right now but this has been an ongoing issue for me and perhaps others. I get on, I see 2 comments in my notifs, am eager for feedback but I get there and: One comment. I have been bamboozled, day ruined!

Now, I am wondering– is this manifesting from deleted comments? Sometimes my mouse double-clicks things (it's broken) and leaves two comments and I have to delete one. And thank goodness it does let me delete in those cases, but I cringe to think I'm leaving ghost comments on other folk's notifications too. DX

I have to "mark all as read" to remove the notification (such a tease) and once it even was displaying that I had -1 comments until someone left an actual one.

Not a high-priority bug or anything, but it would be nice if deleted comments were cleared from the notifications as part of their deletion.

Also, I don't think it's replies to other commenter's comments as far as I'm aware– it doesn't register replies beyond the first, kinda wish it would. I can reply to a comment in the middle of a thousands-page archive and they will see my reply but I don't see their reply back if there's a 3rd post in the convo.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yup that'll be deleted comments, maybe from a double post or maybe from a spammer- I don't know.
Thanks for pointing this out! I'll keep it in mind as we get around to fixing things. The same happens with friend requests too.

Posted at

I've also experienced this on occasion, but I had chalked it up to maybe I had forgotten to mark comments/replies as read, since it appears that's something we have to do manually, rather than the system doing it automatically after they've been read.

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Thanks for confirming my suspicion Oz! My mouse owes some comics an apology haha, it double-posts a lot here.

When I briefly had my own site, there were things you could do to mitigate spamming and one of those was timing on the submit form.

Did a little research and confirmed it first, locking the submit form button after it's been activated/is processing the first request may prevent the double-posts. Found a how-to on it. :)

Just an interesting look into the cause, I'm by no means an expert and trust our guy Alexey knows what he's doing when it comes to this better than I do!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Thankyou, I'll let him know about that, he might find it helpful

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Alexey took time away from working on the site update to fix this issue for us. I hope it's fixed things ^_^

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.