Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

Hey! Nice to see that this thread is still being enjoyed!

Eunice - There's belief's about birds being linked to death and the afterlife in the small towns where I grew up. One of them involves the whipoorwhills that blanket the hillsides and sing all night long (a single bird typically repeats it's song about 400 times). It's said that if they all go quiet at once that someone nearby is dying.

I seem to recall something about birds in the house being an omen of death as well…but I don't remember specifics.

-Dave

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

I am under the belief that my former house is haunted by our old cat. Sometimes I'd see what looks like the shadowy figure of a cat walking in a very normal-looking fashion out of the corner of my eye, I'd turn and it would vanish.

The time that scared me the most was when a pile of papers that was on the kitchen counter sort of exploded as if something had leaped off of the counter in great haste. At first I thought it was our current cat, but seeing her lying on the floor looking just as shocked as I was within about three feet of me told me differently.

I think the haunting of the previous cat is one of the reasons our current cat is such a neurotic…

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

I remembered seeing a bird flew into her house and she got panic. She quickly grabbed a broom and chased it out. After the bird was gone, she was extremely nervous and she wouldn't dare go back to her room for the whole day. I asked her why but she didn't mention anything. She did say something about "I want to keep on living" (or I don't want to die now). I find it an uncanny fact that this old lady who is living over a thousand miles from my home actually associate birds that entered the house as premonition of death.

Perhaps it may be some uncommon belief amongst the Chinese that when a black bird enters a house, it's an indication that someone who's living in the house would not live long.

I've been a bit facinated with black birds since the even in our Kitchen and I did some research on superstisions surrounding them. The connection between a Black Bird and death seems to be very wide spread, from Native Americans to Europeans to Most Eastern Cultures. People in England and Ireland (from what I've read) had sayings to ward off Magpies and that different numbers of the birds meant different things. There seems to be alot of folklore surrounding black birds of all types.
I think the thing I experianced and the things your family experianced are no coinidence, they're definately messengers.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

Ah, here's another one from li'l old me…

When I was a little boy, I was somewhat prone to creepy nightmares, a lot of which had a common theme. Let's see if you can guess what it was.

First dream: I was walking to school one day, when, up in the ravine path, this one guy steps over the fence. He's wearing all black. I pick my pace up. He does, too. I start running, and I'm almost to the school grounds, when I suddenly can't cover any ground. I'm running in place. I can't hear the guy's footsteps, they're drowned out by these massive thudding ones that make the trees shake. I turn around to see what it is, then wake up.

Second dream: I'm at home with my parents, when they get a phone call that scares them. They meet with some other people in front of the house, and get into this van. I run after it, but it drives away, and I hear those exact same footsteps. Again, I wake up just as I turn around.

Third dream: My parents and I are driving through a dark forest at night(Note: We're in the van from the last dream). We stop at some wierd little building with a hot tub outside. I get into the hot tub while my parents enter the building. I wait for a while, then decide to go into the building and check on my parents. Right as I get out of the hot tub, guess what I hear? Yup, same footsteps. And, as usual, I wake up before I can see what this thing is.

Fourth Dream, and this one is seriously freaky: A little later in my life, when I thought those footstep dreams were over, I had this one. I'm at school, waiting for my parents to pick me up. They don't come. My school got out at 3:30 then, so I probably waited, what, six hours? It was dark by the time I decided to walk home. I looked over at the ravine path, and it was black. Not just shaded, absolutely pitch black. Some kids walked in, and somehow, I knew they were dead. Just looking at that shadow made me want to scream. The dim orange lights didn't help either. I look around, and everyone in the school is gone. Then, those footsteps start falling again, and as usual, I don't get the chance to see the source.

Upon waking up from that, I somehow manage to sleep again, and run smack into a very similar dream.

This time, it's a similar scenario, but I have the brains to walk home earlier. Not that it matters. As I come out of the ravine path, everything is warped. The road, and the nearby middle school, are gone. There's just this bark-covered path leading into a fork. One way leads up into this strange forest of trees with no leaves. The light is a yellow that is almost orange, casting long shadows. The trees are scarce, but they lead into a deeper forest. I head in that direction. A few steps in, it happens. First, I have this feeling of complete and total terror. I am probably pissing myself in bed. It has no source, I am just too scared to even blink or breathe. Then, as if that wasn't enough, the footsteps come. This time, I decide I don't even want to see the source. I run like hell, then finally wake up.

Coincidence? I don't know, but I'm going to go lock myself in my bedroom and bolt the doors. Then I'll cry myself to sleep about something else.

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

Roguehill: Interesting. Actually, this is the first time I heard of the Western culture that associates a bird in the house as an omen of death. It's like the belief of ghosts that transcends most cultures.

Neilak20: I did some research online and I found this interesting superstition.

If a bird flies through your house, it indicates important news. If it can't get out, the news will be death.

Raven

An ill-omened bird, able to predict the future, particularly death. The raven is 'the messenger of death' (American Indian) and has a very developed sense of smell which can detect the odour of decay from some distance.

When I was a little boy, I was somewhat prone to creepy nightmares…

I used to have nightmares every night when I was a kid too. Nightmares about death of family members, falling off a cliff, nightmares of getting killed, getting lost in the dark in an abandoned graveyard or empty old mansion, and getting chased by someone or something. I had nightmares for 10 almost years until I discovered an effective technique to stop having nightmares. And now, I no longer any nightmares and most of the time I sleep without having any dreams at all.

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

Eunice: That's really interesting, I wonder if the type of bird in the house matters?
In Norse Mythology Odin, the top god, had two Messenger Ravens, Memory and Thought, that would give him advice and tell him news. It was said that nothing could move faster than them so they made the best messengers.

I used to have recurring nightmares about a black dog (I've since learned that that's a bad omen too). It was strange because we had a black dog as a pet at the time, and in the last of the dreams after I'd been chased onto our roof and all, I called forth out pet dog and he saved me from the evil dog in the dream. After that I didnt have another "Black Dog Dream".

Another Reoccuring nightmare I had was Small Raptor Dinosaurs attacking people and me running to a tourist bus for safety. I dont really think dinosaurs fall under any supersitions though o_o do they? (Maybe they count as birds…)

Posted at

When I was really, really young, I would have those creepy and morbid dreams too. like, reoccuring ones. I'd dream that everyone in the whole world had died, as seeing everywhere I saw there'd be Tombstones and black birds everywhere. Oh, and there would be this scarecrow stalking me at times. There was even this one time when I just stood calmly and let him get close. I then procceded to watch him stab me repeatly, although I wasn't dying for some reason in the dream.
I'd also dream that I was in the underground tunnels of my boarding school… but that it had grown into this huge labyrith, and there would be this dinosauar stalking and eating the kids that was going though it. and for me to "win" I had to get to the center, where there was this creepy all-white bright room with an huge, heavy black metal door in it. But not just that, I had to open that door too to really win. Every time I dreamed that dream, I would always get to that werid room… and I'd be desperately trying to get that blasted black door open, only that dinosauar would get me in the end every time. That one dream sucked.

I don't have those dreams anymore. Now I seem to dream more about being in an world that's like combined fantasy and mordern life….

But sorry, this is getting off topic. I only posted such things snice some people here was posting about their dreams…

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

Well, while we're talking about black birds, I have a semi-interesting story concerning them. Once, I went on a vacation with some friends to Winthrope. For some reason, they have a summer home there. Anyways, we were on this place that used to be a farmland, but somehow just stopped. Nobody really knows why, but it could have still been harvested today. The old farmhouse was rebuilt after a mysterious fire that burned the old one down. (Maybe that's why the farmer is no longer with us?) The barn is completely unsalvageable. They just left it there to rot and decay. Needless to say, it's a bit creepy. Even when we'd gone into it in broad daylight, there was something spooky about it. And once, this huge murder of crows flew around above it. Later, when I went inside, there was one crow still flapping around in there. At night, I sometimes saw a light out of the corner of my eye, coming from the direction of the barn. When I turned my head to look, it was gone. Ghost story potential, anyone?

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

I think this nightmare thread needs to be separated from this main thread since it's not relevent to Ghost Stories. I'll start a new thread then.

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

hey is it a good omen if a cat eats a black bird

Is it a black cat?

I'd like to visit a reported "haunted house" someday. One that's been well documented as being haunted, just to see what its like.

There was a thing on the news awhile back about a train track in a city in Texas that once was the site of a horrific accident. A school bus full of young children got stuck on the tracks and was hit by an oncoming train. Since then the section of train track has been sectioned off, nothing runs on it anymore, but the road is still accesible by car. Its been documented that you can park your car on the tracks, put it in neutral and sprinkle baby powder or talcum powder on the trunk and the car will begin rolling forward, uphill even, and dozens of tiny handprints will appear in the powder. I'm not sure who had the idea to sprinkle powder on the back first but from what I hear it works.

I'm not sure which city it was, though I have found numerous refrences online citing different cities in different areas of the U.S. It may be a common type of haunting.

I found a video on Youtube of someone trying the experiment in San Antonio . I think these are the haunted tracks I saw on the news. I just found another video of those same tracks by a different family doing the same experiment, the camera work is a little shakey at first, but about halfway through they got good video of the van moveing forward, uphill, while off. Second Video

I find these amazing o_o

FoxmanZEO
FoxmanZEO
Posted at

Wasn't there an old episode of CSI, or X-files or whatever, that covered that 'train track push' story?

zekeybomb
zekeybomb
Posted at

lol no irt was a tabby cat

ok well here goes my story #1im 12 so i cant drive but my 18 year old bro can so me and him were driving and we see an old couple by the road and let them hitch a ride and they say how grateful they are and ask us if we could take them to lunch so we did and me and my bro got a burger the couple liver and onions well they ate it alll slopily going nyum nyam nyam nyuk food spraying every ware so we asked them when the finished if they wanted us to drive them yhome but they dissapweared learnig yesterday they died but when ever some one eats that same liver and onions makes me throw up cause how the old people ate it no shivers orany thing #2 this boy was at his birthday party and this clown asked him if he wanted to see the balloon factory so the boy sed yes so he went to the clown took him to a black car with spikes on he wheels and they went to the balloon factory the scary part the car was black with spikey wheels btw the 1 one was true

chris
chris
Posted at

A friend of mine recorded some EVP in the basement of this old hotel that just couldn't keep from burning down. The only one you could really make out was someone saying "Out, get out, out of my house!"

Well, that's what it sounds like at least. As far as things i have seen and experienced.

When I was about 5 I was running to my brothers room to get a toy, at about the moment i reached the door i glanced up and saw what appeared to be a tiny, glowing, old person wearing a long white robe and waving at me. It floated from one side of the door frame to the other. Freaked out, I immediately turned around and fled back to the couch were my grandmother was sitting and told her what I saw. she told me that it was probably my grandfather who had passed away recently.

Another occurence was when I was probably about six or seven. I was outside with my parents when I happend to glance into the front window of our house. For an instance I saw a person that appeared to look very similar to my oldest brother sneaking from my parents bedroom to the bathroom with an incredibly evil look on his face. Maybe not a ghost story, but both of my siblings were deffinately not at home at the time and I doubt I was hallucinating.

Another experience after that I had to be eight at the time, I was playing James Bond in the back two rooms of my grandparents house when I flipped around the corner and saw a hand on the doorframe to one of the other rooms. Hearing what I thought was my grandmothers voice I thought I would sneak up behind her. I flipped back into the room to my left and pressed up against the wall for a couple of moments then flipped back to discover that she was now gone. I walked into the room only to find my mother folding laundry, I asked her if my grandmother was just now standing here and talking and to my suprise she told me that she had not. I then walked across the house to find her all the way back in the wash room and she too denied having been anywhere near that room at the time.

The last time I can actually remember seeing something was probably a year or two later when I was over at a neighbor friends house after dark. I was running down down their hallway when something made me stop at the doorway of one of the bedrooms. I looked inside and saw a very definite silhouette of a young man standing shirtless in front of the two large windows. Freaked out I ran to where my parents were after which they helped me inspect the house. All windows and doors were locked and we were the only ones there.

After that it was mostly hearing things like people saying my name or calling out while I was in the shower or brushing my teeth or whatever but those have even seemed to stop in past couple of years.

herio
herio
Posted at

i have meat gosts theses one art the colige he likes recking the mainframe there he like taking worry and he can give it thats what i'm guessing

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

i have meat gosts theses one art the colige he likes recking the mainframe there he like taking worry and he can give it thats what i'm guessing

You have a thesis on ghosts which involves a guy at art collage who like breaking "main frames" and talking. However this is only a guess.

What?

Nah, seriously, I'm not trying to beat you down or anything, but I just really cannot understand your post.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

"i have meat gosts theses one art the colige he likes recking the mainframe there he like taking worry and he can give it thats what i'm guessing"

=

"I have met ghosts. There's one at the college, he likes wrecking the mainframe there."
"…He likes making people worry"?
"And he can give it, that's what I'm guessing."

It's only the middle bit I can't fathom. A ghost in the computer eh? Sounds a bit like Ghost in the shell to me. Great films, series, and comics!

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

Could say "meat goats"? Though "meat goats" wouldnt be relevent to the thread, so it's likely "met ghosts" like OzoneOcean said.
On the last part, I think he's trying to say the ghost likes to recieve worry from people, by makeing them worry, like the ghost feeds on the worry.
I'm really not sure though.

Posted at

i guess the stories i new sucked

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.