Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

The logical part of my brain knows it's exactly how you described it, Ozone, but I ignore that part of my brain because it's explanations are boring. So I'll go on believing that most cats are evil assassins hired by squirrels to kill me as I sleep.
But really I was raised with dogs and I'm very slightly allergic to cats so I tend to prefer dogs. Plus dogs are more fun to play with in my opinion. However I love both and plan to get a dog and a cat when I'm able to have pets again.
As for the actual subject of the thread, I don't have a lot of "friends" either online or in real life. I have six friends I'm really close to in real life, and probably around twenty people who I would consider more than acquaintances but that aren't really close friends either, if that makes sense. So I would say that having just six friends is perfectly fine.
What isn't fine is hanging out with Freshmen. They aren't people and as a senior it's your duty to look down on them with scorn and ruin their lives. Or does that only happen in the High School I went to?

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Dogs are so much better than cats. I've had cats try to sleep on my face to smother me, dig their claws in to my throat because I stopped petting them, and stick their paws down my throat while I was asleep. I've yet to have a dog try to kill me.

I haven't had a cat attack me except while playing, but I was attacked by a dog twice as a kid. It got me pretty badly the second time. :\

Posted at

You know, seeing that I'll be off to college in a matter of months (Five maybe), I question to if I should or should not get a cat in college.

The little things need to eat and other stuff, which might bring up complications in terms of budget.

Making friends is pretty tough for me IRL, seeing that if we don't share very much in common or have the same interests, it's so very tough to maintain a conversation. Hell, I've never had a girl friend before. Most peers would call that a sad fact, especially in Hawaii were teen pregnancies is more than most of the other states.

It's like I spend all my time in a web comic hosting site, which is rediculous, right?

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

Cats will frequently go out hunting for their own food or scrounge off somebody else regardless of how much they are fed by their owners. They're the IDEAL pet for those on a low budget. Just don't get a kitten. They need training and vaccinations.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Castle, if you can budget for it, cats make great(relatively low-maintenance) companions.

Cats will frequently go out hunting for their own food or scrounge off somebody else regardless of how much they are fed by their owners. They're the IDEAL pet for those on a low budget. Just don't get a kitten. They need training and vaccinations.

I have to disagree with you on a couple points here. First of all, if he's in college he'll probably be in an apartment of some sort…it wouldn't really work to let a cat roam free in that environment. Even if you do have an outdoor cat, you'll likely have to budget more for vet bills(although I haven't had an outdoor cat in a long time so I don't really know). They're exposed to more diseases that way and some cats like to get in scraps - the last time my Haiku got out he got a nasty scratch on his nose.

Also, while kittens do need vaccinations(so I might also recommend an adult cat to someone on a tighter budget), they don't really need training as such. Cats really only need litter training, and most kittens already are when they're adopted out(at least from good shelters). Trying any other training with a cat is a fool's errand.

According to my local humane society(with some Hippie Van tips):
The Cat Budget
For a spayed female, 9 pound, domestic short haired cat
One Year Minimum Cost (approximate)

Food and Treats (This part can vary a lot depending on the type and quality of food your cat gets - for instance, I have one cat who will only eat wet food, no dry food or treats.)
4 cans of cat food (6oz) at $1.09 = $52.00
1 bag dry cat food (8 lbs) per month at $22.00 = $264.00
12 tins of cat treats at $3.00 = $36.00

Veterinary care
Yearly visit – exam and vaccinations $75.00

Grooming
1 container cat litter per month at $9.00 = $108.00
6 trips to the vet for nail clipping at $15.00 = $90.00 (If you get an easygoing cat you can probably do this yourself)
1 tube of anti-furball medication at $7.50 =$7.50

Vacation
2 weeks cat care at $18.00 per day = $252.00 (I don't really know why this is in the budget, we've never had to do this.)

Subtotal = $884.00

One time costs:
Spaying (female) and tattoo $100.00 (Some shelters include this in the adoption fee.)
Food and water dishes $20.00
Collar, leash, and harness $20.00 (You really don't need a leash for a cat, haha)
Brush and comb $15.00
Litter pan and scoop $10.00
Small scratching post $8.00
Cardboard traveling box $6.00
Toys and miscellaneous $30.00

Subtotal $209.00

Grand total $1093.50

Posted at

Pretty sure posting spammy links is against the contest rules, that's #2 from what I've seen. :]

Posted at

Hippie Van, is it really $800 - $1000 to take care of a cat for just one year? It makes me cringe at what it would take to take care of a dog, since they need much more attention and such.

When I get to college, I'd be lucky to have enough food for myself, really.

It's sad but true.

I think I'd be better off with an internet connection than a pet.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Hippie Van, is it really $800 - $1000 to take care of a cat for just one year? It makes me cringe at what it would take to take care of a dog, since they need much more attention and such.

When I get to college, I'd be lucky to have enough food for myself, really.

It's sad but true.

I think I'd be better off with an internet connection than a pet.

Well, it depends on what you feed your cat and such, but yeah.
The funny thing is that dogs take a lot more care and attention than cats, but not much more money. For instance, cat food is actually more expensive than dog food.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

For instance, cat food is actually more expensive than dog food.
And unfortunately cat's don't tend to like it much :(

I think it's because dogs eat more so there are probably economies of scale involved to some extent, and of course cat-food has more expensive ingredients because they need more animal protein fats and other vitamins and supplements to mimic a natural meaty diet, whereas dog food can have a much higher proportion of simple vegetable matter because they're so omnivorous. -Plants are cheaper than meat.

-Although, I don't know for sure. :(
I do know that my schemes to feed my cats more cheaply with dog food were generally dismal failures though. Probably the smell is a massive turnoff. :P

Posted at

Does this mean I have no life?
If having 1000 friends on DD indicates a no-life dude, then I'm seriously IRL integrational, and my community should elect me as mayor by popular acclaim - I have only one friend and have done less than 20 posts in 3 years!

On the other hand, my stats could mean I spend 99% of the time on dodgy sex sites.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I think it's because dogs eat more so there are probably economies of scale involved to some extent, and of course cat-food has more expensive ingredients because they need more animal protein fats and other vitamins and supplements to mimic a natural meaty diet, whereas dog food can have a much higher proportion of simple vegetable matter because they're so omnivorous. -Plants are cheaper than meat

Yeah you're absolutely right ozone, it's just cos cats need more meaty stuffs in their food.

Posted at

About cats being picky, the family cats I've got, they're the most pickest things I'd ever seen. If I take a bit off food off my own plate, like chicken, pork, steak, ect, they won't eat it. They do like expensive wet food and pricey raw fish, though.

Little spoiled you know whats.

They also like to sneak into the house. As soon as you open the door, they dash in like their life depended on it.

My one cat is really big. A fat cat. He's such a fatass, but yet he also insists of always standing in my way. He also knocks down anything he can.

They're nice cats, but spoiled.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.