Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Yeah, that was an overblown (dare I say "cartoonish?" ) way of expressing that. Also, the Cuppa Coffee contest kept your submission regardless of whether they used it or not. That's a big difference.

I probably could benefit from a bit of reflection before firing off emails I can't get back, eh ;)

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Yeah, that was an overblown (dare I say "cartoonish?" ) way of expressing that. Also, the Cuppa Coffee contest kept your submission regardless of whether they used it or not. That's a big difference.

I probably could benefit from a bit of reflection before firing off emails I can't get back, eh ;)

Don't worry, I've totally done that in the past bro!

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

But only the entry right? Since I'm heading my team not everyone in the team has to come out…right? That would be difficult since I work with a lot of guys in Spain.

Yeah, your whole team doesn't have to be there, just so you have the creative team lined up and represented in your pitch art. I mean, I assume this, I'm sure Platinum Dan would let you know if I were wrong.

Dan? I know I'm not the ONLY person with this question.

Posted at

He's the person that started this thread. :)

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

And like clockwork, the Comics Journal picked up your link from Fleen because anytime they get a chance to bad mouth Platinum they jump on it. It's sad that it's based on a quote by someone who had no real knowledge of the actual contest. God forbid an actual news source or something that calls itself "journalism" would actually ask if the winner if it's a "raw deal", but instead they'll link to speculation and BS, probably aiding in scaring off a few creators who this could have been beneficial too.

This is the only thing I dislike about the internet.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Well, it's just certain circles online that like to run with a juicy drama story. It's easier to just link to things or use blurbs like that, and you have some people waiting in the wings to trash a good thing, so that irritates me.

Fleen is awesome though.

Posted at

They're paraphrasing with something like:
EVIL PLATINUM CONTEST TO RIP HEART FROM CREATOR
Are limbs and eyes to follow?

or some such. Ah well. Power of a headline, I guess. Never any shortage of folks who are trashing something. I dislike being taken out of context… it wasn't my point to disparage Platinum, but rather to encourage callow youths to read contracts. Sigh.
I published a retraction (of sorts) on my blog. D.J's comments on this matter certainly deserve to be read by TCJ folks who pop in.

Posted at

Hey, all. Sorry I dropped off here. I actually took a few days of vacation away from computers before the craziness that is the Challenge gets into full swing.

First of all, no, the entire team does not have to be there, only the entrant. Actually, only the entrant is allowed into the room to pitch the judges. There will, however, be a lot of goodies for the entire creative team. We're working on prize packages right now for the top 50, the 10 semis, and the 3 finalists. More on that soon.

My only response to all of this "debate" that is going on is this: if you don't like the concept of selling your rights away, please don't enter and I really wish you the best of luck on your own. Honestly, I do. There are some people who have been incredibly successful doing it all on their own and it is possible. I will also, however, caution anyone choosing this path to be realistic about the amount of effort it takes in to going this way. Email Scott Kurtz or the guys at Penny Arcade and ask them how much of their day is spent on the business side of things and how much do they get to make the art. It's a lot of hard work and in the end it may not pay off. It may not pay off with Platinum behind you either. There's no guarantees in this business. It's really all about a choice in paths and making the right choice for yourself and your particular idea.

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

Unless you're a one-trick-pony, if you win the coverage you'll receive is worth more than you can make with the project yourself. You've got little less than a month so my advice is spend that time creating the best package that you can. Then while you wait to hear if you've won, think of 2 other great ideas.

I know you can.

Posted at

Platinum Dan, Platinum Dan
He's a platinum man
He's got platinum hands
The man with the plan is a platinum man
and his name? His name is
PLATT-I-NNUMMMM DA-A-ANNNNNN!!!!

(second verse, same as the first!)

And I forgot to say thanks for the song. First time I've ever had a song written about me, I think.

Posted at

I've always wanted to be published… I dream of one day getting a job doing what I love (drawing, of course. I'd love to be a storyboard artist. x3), then coming home to continue doing just that: working on my comic. >w<

I would enter, but… My works are much more manga based. I'm not sure if they'd publish such a thing…? It's tempting, but I'm aiming for Tokyopop's Rising Stars of Manga Competition.

Best of luck to all those who plan to enter!

keola
keola
Posted at

I will be entering the contest but I have a concern about how much one can actually make "realistically" as a comic book artist or a creator. I have a good job now, while I don't love it, I make a pretty good living. I could do both but I don't know if I would be able to meet the deadlines because I have to work a lot of hours. Is it even possible or realistic to think that the winner could approach six figures within a year if successful or am I totally dreaming? I'm sure that if the idea is popular enough and makes it into tv or movies then the money will come but it's a big gamble if I have to quit my job and live on peanuts for a while. I can do that too unless it's going to take years to develop.
I would have tried to break into the business years ago but I've always thought that artists didn't make much and I have a hard time with poverty:( I have always loved comics and art though and I have to follow my dream now but seriously, how much can artists make? DJ?…

Posted at

And I forgot to say thanks for the song. First time I've ever had a song written about me, I think.

With a name like Platinum Dan, I'm surprised that you don't have ten songs, two comics and a breakfast cereal!

I'm Platinum Dan and I'm here to tell you that Platinum Rangers eat Platin-Yums every day for breakfast! Platin-Yums: toasty bits of platinum crunchy oats dusted with Deep Space Sweetener and topped with Duckmallow Foam! Platin-Yums are part of every Ranger's nutritious breakfast!
(Zips off into deep space toting box of cereal)

Posted at

Platin-Yums is kinda clunky. Platinum Puffs?

Posted at

Platin-Yums is kinda clunky. Platinum Puffs?

Platipuffs? ;D

marine
marine
Posted at

WHEN THE professor WAS WORKING IN HIS LAB TO CREATE THE PERFECT LITTLE GIRLS, SUGAR, SPICE, AND EVERYTHING NICE. HE Axe-e-DENTLY DROPPED HIS platinum GRILLS INTO THE CONCOCTION. THUSLY THE PLATINUM puff GIRLS WERE BORN!

I'd draw or google "gangsta" power puff girls, but I simply don't have the time. Someone else do it for the comedy.

Posted at

I will be entering the contest but I have a concern about how much one can actually make "realistically" as a comic book artist or a creator. I have a good job now, while I don't love it, I make a pretty good living. I could do both but I don't know if I would be able to meet the deadlines because I have to work a lot of hours. Is it even possible or realistic to think that the winner could approach six figures within a year if successful or am I totally dreaming? I'm sure that if the idea is popular enough and makes it into tv or movies then the money will come but it's a big gamble if I have to quit my job and live on peanuts for a while. I can do that too unless it's going to take years to develop.
I would have tried to break into the business years ago but I've always thought that artists didn't make much and I have a hard time with poverty:( I have always loved comics and art though and I have to follow my dream now but seriously, how much can artists make? DJ?…

It's a really good question, Keola, and one that DJ is probably more qualified than I to answer, as he's been in the trenches a lot longer than I've been in this business. I will say this, I'm constantly surprised when I'm dealing with medium sized names in this business (and by that I mean people who have books that I follow because of them and have names that draw me to a particular book but are not actually "above the title" writers and artists, i.e. people below an Alex Ross or an Alan Moore) and still have day jobs. That tells me that it's pretty tough business to "make" it in. I'm really hoping DJ chimes in here, because his advice will by much more useful than mine.

Posted at

So only people over 18 can enter? T.T curse me for not being born 4 years earlier.

Posted at

Yeah, sorry about that. It's a legal thing that our lawyers insisted on this year. Think of it this way: it gives you 4 years to work on your idea, right?

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

I'm not DJ, but I've collected a lot of info about the industry in the past few years. Bascially it's really hard to make anywhere near 6-figures drawing comics. Even "superstar" artists have to do more than just draw comics to make near 6 figures. And Platinum Studios isn't Marvel. They're more Indie, although they do have resources behind them.

A lot of artists have "escaped" the comic industry into video game art design or designing toys, etc. To be successful actually drawing comics you have to be super successful like Frank Miller.

But the best advice is to become a comic book artist because you want to tell a story and you want to tell it through art. Don't do it for money, because you'll be dissapointed.

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

I'm not DJ, but I've collected a lot of info about the industry in the past few years. Bascially it's really hard to make anywhere near 6-figures drawing comics.

Page rates are dropping, and it's hard to make a living unless you've been doing comics for a while. Even still you've got to have the "HOT" factor. Check out this thread for a discussion on this very issue.

http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109193&highlight=page+rate

Faithie
Faithie
Posted at

*Sigh* I do a comic all my myself, and I'm under eighteen, so I can't try for it. Oh, well, I guess there's always next year…. …My art isn't good enough, anyway. XD

Good luck to everyone entering. ^-^

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I'm going to be pitching a series oriented for children, but I have some questions.

First of all, does this mean that once your comic becomes property of Platinum Studios, you have minimal imput into what's done with it in other media such as film or animation or do you still have a large amount of say into what happens with your creations though they're technically no longer in your hands?

Secondly, I am considering a couple art styles for the project, would I need to have examples for each when I make my pitch?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.