Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

So far from DD alone we've got quite a few great participants.

What worries me is the sheer number outside of Drunk Duck we may be seeing.

Posted at

Oi. This is probably nothing, but Alex (the artist) submitted the comic and since he does do some writing, he kept the check mark under "writer." As a result, the form did NOT ask him to enter MY information as the writer.

This was submitted earlier, and I only now knew it happened. Will that be a problem?

<<1 day, 2 hours to go! Yay for extensions!>>

marine
marine
Posted at

So far from DD alone we've got quite a few great participants.

What worries me is the sheer number outside of Drunk Duck we may be seeing.

Yeah. That worries me too. Those outsiders… with their comic entries into the comic book challenge…

Posted at

Wow, lots of last minute questions here, but no worries, I'm around all the time so anybody can hit me up with questions either here or via a PQ any time they want to.

Bushido- Don't sweat it. We can clarify things with Alex if your entry gets selected to come and pitch live in San Diego (and one question I won't answer until June 18th is IF you or anyone is coming to San Diego). Also, we'll deal with any size or format problems as far as the art is concerned if we reach that point, too.

As far as posting online goes, remember we don't technically have any say right now as to whether or not you post your stuff right now at all. In fact, you can promote it all you want and work on developing a fan base that would help you when it comes to the public voting section and there wouldn't be a darn thing we could do about it. Just look at last year: I'm SURE last year DJ didn't ask any of his Yirmumah fans to vote for Hero By Night, did you DJ?

One thing I would ask of everybody who entered, though, is to NOT, I repeat NOT, bug DJ on here by sending him your stuff. He cannot look at it or give you advice on any of the entries, as he's one of the judges this year. If you are selected as one of the top 50, the judges will see the page of art you submitted and your written synopsis for the first time the moment you step in front of them to do your pitch (last year, one of our staff actually handed it to them before each pitch). In the interest of fairness to all the competitors, we've asked DJ not to look at anything anyone may send him.

Also, a quick explanation about the extension. At about 11:30 today, the power went out in our office building which means none of us at Platinum have access to our email so I couldn't respond to anybody who sent questions via our online contact form (and there has been a wide variety of questions I've been getting through that which I've been trying to answer as quickly as I can to make sure everyone gets a chance to enter). To try and make things fair, we've extended another day just in case anyone was having problems. The website is still up and all the submissions are getting through, but due to the sheer volume we've been experiencing, it may take one or two tries to upload your art. Keep going until you receive a confirmation number on the "thank you" page. (no, you don't have to have written the number down, it's just the sign that your entry has definitely been accepted.)

Whew! Anything I missed? Any other questions?

Posted at

Thanks for the info! That pretty much wraps up all the questions I had… until I wake up in middle of the night in a cold sweat realizing I had forgotten to fulfill some silly requirement - like filling in my e-mail correctly.

Posted at

Well, you'll still probably be getting more sleep than I will tonight. I have to read all the entries!

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

As far as posting online goes, remember we don't technically have any say right now as to whether or not you post your stuff right now at all. In fact, you can promote it all you want and work on developing a fan base that would help you when it comes to the public voting section and there wouldn't be a darn thing we could do about it.

I think this deserves a new thread. What do you guys think? That way we can all get a sneak peek at each other's entries in one easy-to-see spot.

Posted at

Unfortunately I didn't get chance to enter this year- the date of the San Diego pitch is a date I have sadly unbreakable plans for. I plan to enter next year, though, when my comic idea is more developed and hopefully my art a great deal improved. :)

Good luck to everyone who entered! I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'm excited. :D

But I am curious… Platinum Dan, do you know the number of people who entered? Can you tell us, or is it secret? ;) I'd love to know how many decided to try.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I think this deserves a new thread. What do you guys think? That way we can all get a sneak peek at each other's entries in one easy-to-see spot.

Why not just use this thread?

Posted at

Why not just use this thread?

We wouldn't want DJ to accidentally get a sneak peak of comics he many end up judging :p If it's in its own thread, that possibility will be limited. Besides, all the COOL KIDS are starting new threads.

Posted at

Eviltwin,
We can't actually reveal that at this time, mostly because they're still coming in and we don't know the total. But we've also been asked by our new, big partner to not reveal that number at least until we announce their involvement. Oops, did I let a little tease slip out there? :-)

marine
marine
Posted at

Eviltwin,
We can't actually reveal that at this time, mostly because they're still coming in and we don't know the total. But we've also been asked by our new, big partner to not reveal that number at least until we announce their involvement. Oops, did I let a little tease slip out there? :-)

Could it be the Oprah? No ones bigger than her.

EHJones
EHJones
Posted at

Wow, I think I should have been looking around DrunkDuck a lot more… I only just found this thread today, after the deadline!

I've been working with an artist for almost two months on a collaboration created specifically for this contest! We made the deadline, got our entry in on time, and we're really proud of it… but we're having trouble building the kind of buzz we want about it. We've had a MySpace page up for a while, and posted on DeviantArt and a place called TangledMuse, but there hasn't been a lot of feedback. But we're excited, and doing everything we can to get exposure… because even if we don't win, we're insanely proud of the work we've put in!

Good luck to all the other entrants, and I hope to see some of you in San Diego!! (See, insanely proud… I'm already making plans for the trip, and we just entered the contest two nights ago. Now THAT's confidence!!! LOL)

zerohour
zerohour
Posted at

Hi everyone.

I am new to this site and have just entered the contest. Wanted to wish everyone good luck. This place is great. It has inspired me to work on some web comics of my own.

I'm mainly a writer, but am now brushing up the art skills. Who knows, maybe dumb luck will intervene and I will see some of you in San Diego.

Again great site and fantastic contest. Hope to post more around here.

Posted at

I entered but I had to rush mine since May was really busy for me. :( And now I feel so embarrassed because everyone else's look so amazingly awesome! Good luck everyone! :) Hope you guys make it to San Diego.

EHJones
EHJones
Posted at

Ahem… unless I'm mistaken, we have 24 hours or so until the announcement. Anyone else just completely crazed today?

I don't suppose Platinum Dan will sneak in here and give us all a quick update on how the contest is going… ;-)

marine
marine
Posted at

Ahem… unless I'm mistaken, we have 24 hours or so until the announcement. Anyone else just completely crazed today?

I don't suppose Platinum Dan will sneak in here and give us all a quick update on how the contest is going… ;-)

Its more anticipated than an aids test.

Posted at

From the Platinum Studios' Website:

"Sorry everybody, but the announcement of the Top 50 has been delayed until Wednesday June 20th. You simply shouldn't have sent in so many good ideas!"

Anyone ready to scream? Cry? Or, possibly just try to lapse into a coma for the next two days!

Sorry Dan, but… WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

EHJones
EHJones
Posted at

Why do you do this to me?

Darkmax
Darkmax
Posted at

It's ok….It's alright … just 2 more days without sleep I can do it…yea no problem
(THUMP) ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Th_Mole
Th_Mole
Posted at

Pardon me, is anyone using this wall?

No? Thanks.

(steps up, starts slamming his own head against it repeatedly, denting it slightly)

Posted at

I got an e-mail!!!

I can't believe it! I DID!

I got one! Just came in the e-mail right now!!!!

I'm so friggin excited!!!

I'll just cut and paste the beginning right here…

For all of you to read…

Good day,
My name is SOLOMON MARTINS, Principal Partner in SOLOMON MARTINS Law
Chambers, London,UK. I was formally a personal attorney to Mr. Mohammed
Saibi who was the chairman of Algosaibi Diving and marine Services in
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Mr. Saibi died late last year of heart attack at
the ripe age of 79 years. Mr. Mohammed Saibi a Saudi Arabia Philanthropist, before he died, made a
Will in my law firm stating that $5.2 million should be donated to you.

So there you go! Okay…sure…it's not a COMIC BOOK CHALLENGE e-mail…but I'm going to get 5.2 million!

WOOHOO!

Now I'll publish everyone's comics!

(brought to you by Ryan…sitting at home…not getting any e-mails except from Mr. Martins.)

(Hey..he should become a doctor! Doc Martins. Get it? Sigh…I give up…only I get my humor).

Read Philly at: http://www.drunkduck.com/Philly
Read Wise Intelligence at: http://www.drunkduck.com/Wise_Intelligence

Posted at

Ryan…I admit…you got me on that one.

Durn, I feel like today is Sunday all over again. Well, except I have to be at work and be sober today…

I take it back…today's much, much worse.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.