Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
marine
marine
Posted at

I still feel that question had no merit. I can't seem to justify it in my head that someone would go all the way to a pitch and be asked something redundant. I can't figure it out.

Well I don't think you have to worry about being asked the same question. :)

You don't think they want to publish Tranny The Transvestites Trans gendered Travels?

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

Better late than never, but I have to ask:

Do Team Members get screwed? I'm acting as artist for an entrant, and as its his idea, of course he should by rights be the Entrant. But what does that mean for me? If he were to win, is any stipulation made for me as a Team Member? I've read the rules over, but missed that part.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Do Team Members get screwed?
I don't think the prizes are of a sexual nature… lol!

I imagine that if your entry is from a team, you all share in what you get: you decide amongst yourselves.

Posted at

Well, I am in it. And I am in it to win it!

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

Do Team Members get screwed?
I don't think the prizes are of a sexual nature… lol!

Oh, you. That's a different contest entirely!

Posted at

Better late than never, but I have to ask:

Do Team Members get screwed? I'm acting as artist for an entrant, and as its his idea, of course he should by rights be the Entrant. But what does that mean for me? If he were to win, is any stipulation made for me as a Team Member? I've read the rules over, but missed that part.

Sorry, guys. Long weekend took me a bit to get back to you. If your entry wins, you would indeed participate, as Platinum would be hiring you to do your part in it at a rate competitive to what Marvel and DC pay their creators. The main entrant, as the prime creator, would be our "DJ", so to speak, but you all would benefit from its success. Just ask Jason, the colorist for Hero By Night. (He's around the HBN page all the time, so you really can ask him if you want.)

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

Thanks for getting back to me! Some of the contest language is a little obtuse, so I really appreciate you taking the time to look at our questions and concerns here at Drunk Duck.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Tick tock…tick tock…tick…

Deadline is fast approaching…

Posted at

No problem, Aeon. and DJ's right, only 36 hours left!

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

Notifications are by June 18th, but do you do them all in one lump sum, or do you notify individuals up through the 18th?

Posted at

We'll be notifying everybody on the 18th, hpk.

Posted at

Whew! Submission sent with less than 24 hours to go. I did have a question, though, even though it won't effect me THIS year.

My submission was originally created on standard comic book-sized paper. After completing the comic, I noticed that the rules page mentioned the submission had to be 8.5x11 (no mention of inches, so I assume we're just talking about the ratio.) To make up for this, I just added some black space on either side… not the most aesthetically pleasing solution, but better than trying to do several days' worth of work in only one.

To cut to the chase: Did submissions really need to be in that ratio, or was that a typo that was copied and pasted from the requirements for the written summary? I noticed Hero by Night is standard comic book format, was its entry 8.5x11?

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

I think this year as long as it's a legible comic book page of some kind, you're golden.
Last year i just used a landscape format with no lettering when I entered, but they've upped the ante this year.

Holy cow, that ToonBoom software is like 3grand!!! I didn't know thats the software they use to animate many popular cartoons and movies like the last Curious George film. I thought the Wacoms were a great deal, but That animation software is one hell of a prize!

Posted at

We're being VERY liberal with what we accept for the art. The main thing we want to know is that you have a team (even if that "team" is just you) in place and can begin production the moment you win. DJ taught us how important that was to getting his book on the shelves as soon as possible. (So blame him for the requirements being tougher this year!)

Posted at

Yeah blame DJ! That's what I always do…

Posted at

Haha, I'm all for the team concept since I've been working with the artist for 5 years. I figure it's a smart move to either get someone like DJ, who can get the work done himself, or a tightly knit team with an established working relationship. Who knows what might happen if you throw a few strangers together on a project.

Since we're used to Webcomics, we saved the file at 900 pixels wide, which should be perfect for viewing on most screens/projectors (at the standard 72 px/inch.) Is that how these will initially be seen, or are you printing them up? If they are printed, at what resolution will you be printing them so we might be able to match it and maximize legibility.

Last but not least, if the already uploaded comic had to be changed to fit your answers to the questions above, can we resubmit it?

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

If you want someone like me, you best find a cloning machine, or a way to revive the dead! hahaha…

Blame me all you want for the tougher guidelines, but count all your lucky stars that I'm not running the whole thing! My rules would be INSANE!!! :)

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

One last question;
Are you allowed to post the page you made after you submit online to get a fanbase or attract attention? Or does Platinum want everything to be kept secret on who entered until voting time? I know the latter doesn't sound like that's what would happen, but I'm just making sure.

marine
marine
Posted at

One last question;
Are you allowed to post the page you made after you submit online to get a fanbase or attract attention? Or does Platinum want everything to be kept secret on who entered until voting time? I know the latter doesn't sound like that's what would happen, but I'm just making sure.

Seconded? To post or not to post?

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

One last question;
Are you allowed to post the page you made

Seconded? To post or not to post?

I think the rules are written with the clause that you can post on the internet. I haven't but I found it interesting that it's in there. Maybe someone is encouraging the posting? I would think it might help spread the word of the contest.

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

The main thing we want to know is that you have a team (even if that "team" is just you) in place and can begin production the moment you win. DJ taught us how important that was to getting his book on the shelves as soon as possible.

Shoot…I don't think I included a bio in my submission. >:)

Could I get extra points for having books out through Diamond and haven't missed a deadline in a year? Or that I work with pro artists that are available if anyone team member should suffer a terrible accident?

MrGranger
MrGranger
Posted at

Whew! Submission sent with less than 24 hours to go. I did have a question, though, even though it won't effect me THIS year.

With you entering we've all got less of a chance to win now. Sheesh…the competition is going to be tough.

Posted at

With you entering we've all got less of a chance to win now. Sheesh…the competition is going to be tough.

Thanks for the ego boost! Now I'm going to have high expectations that'll soon be crushed :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.