Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
TdotOdot2k
TdotOdot2k
Posted at

Oh! Well that's absolutely wonderful. There's two picks I can think of that DEFINITELY deserve it (Easter Island, Stonehenge, respectively). I read that Stonehenge wasn't here, and forgot to actually go and look for myself.

Posted at

In Civilization, the computer-game equivalent of crack, if you can build the Hoover Dam great wonder you're almost guaranteed to win.

In real life I'd vote for the Apollo Program (man on the moon) for the way it changed the way humans think, and The Panama Canal because, aside from being the biggest engineering project in the history of mankind, it's hard to one-up carving a shortcut through a continent.

Person 1: "I stacked a bunch of rocks that align with the stars so perfectly I know exactly the best time to plant my crops." [Not to pick on Stone Henge or anything:)]

Person 2: "I carved a shortcut through a fooking continent because I hate long commutes."

I mean, how do you top that?

And though it's no Hoover Dam, I'd say Niagara Falls counts because it's not natural anymore – we can turn it on and off with a lightswitch.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

In real life I'd vote for the Apollo Program (man on the moon) for the way it changed the way humans think, and The Panama Canal because, aside from being the biggest engineering project in the history of mankind, it's hard to one-up carving a shortcut through a continent.
Heeeeeeeey… The Suez Canal did it way before the Panama project. Although it wasn't quite as large, it was pretty much the same thing, and without Suez, they probably wouldn't have had the impetus to go all the way with Panama.

On the same note, the Soviet space program got to most places first, and without that, there'd most likely be no Apollo.

So I wouldn't go for Apollo at all, that's really more of a cold war propaganda win. I would agree on Panama though, because it did take what had been done with the Suez and push though a much harder project that has been really useful too.

Posted at

panama canal was on the original list of 77, it would've gotten my vote too

no space programs are on the list becuase it's the 7 wonders of the world, THE WORLD. Not the world and the moon and the space in between.

Most people I've told about this think the great wall was one of the wonders of the world, my general response to this one is: it is now.

It's pretty much a no brainer, the only man made object visible from space.

Posted at

–Except for the parking lot of Disneyland.

But yeah, The Great Wall kicks ass. A well-deserved win.

And it totally rocked the swimsuit competition.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hahahahaha! No, that's a very old urban myth. Plus, you need to define what you mean by 'space'. 50 kilometers up? 100? 2000?
It's ironic that you actually can not see the great wall from space or even quite high up in an aeroplane, but you CAN see runways, large buildings, parking lots (as mystic says), dams and all sorts of other man made objects!
So it's not just untrue, it's actually less than untrue.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

Jim Neighbors' delightful singing voice should be on the list of potential wonders.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.