Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Advice to protect yourself from people who steal gas... literally.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I imagine it's not a good idea to steal gas from someone with a .38 in their glovebox. At least that's what the NRA tells us with theri numerous stories of defence against crime by an armed citizenry.
Heh! That something I wonder about too. I put myself in the shoes of the kind of scum that'd rob someone at gunpoint and I realise that if I thought they might have a gun too at all, I'd still rob them, but I'd also very likely shoot them as well because I'd be worried they might shoot me first.
And the more I think people might be armed, the more likely I am to shoot them dead anyway without waiting to see.

And I think that's what tends to happen. A lose/lose situation :(
You still get robbed, but you have a higher chance of getting killed.
-The one most likely to come out alive is the one who has their gun out and ready: the criminal.
You might also scare them off or kill them first, but there's more chance of you not doing that. I mean, there's a reason soldiers don't generally go into battle against armed foes with their guns in glove compartments or concealed under their clothing.

Soldiers usually do go into combat with weapons ready, not locked and loaded. Tanks don't go weapons free until the enemy is spotted.

Anyhoo, you'd be surprised how fast they can draw that weapon. Scarred the hell out of me how fast it came out of that handbag and then the glovebox. Even that one campus where unlike Virginia State they had a right to carry law and the gunman was taken out before anyone was killed. (again info courtesy of the NRA except for witnessing the fast draws.) If you get weapon training (civilian too)part of it requires safe and quick draw and return fire. Most criminals don't go to the range and practice. Law-abiding weapon carriers are required to in most states with right-to-carry.

So you get that drill out to steal gas, or be that tuner car and you see a flash of gunmetal or shiny steel… hey, I din't mean it…

According to those that carry (and the NRA natch') the threat is enough.

Do I believe this? No, when I worked in gas station I just had the phone close at hand and Woodbridge's Worst were on stand-by. (very busy state highway near the main State highway) It was NJ. The one time a gun was drawn in defence the drawer was the wrong skin color and the gun was confiscated didn't matter that the other in question had nearly committed vehicular homicide. Woodbridge's Worst didn't even interview the guy who had barely jumped out of the way of an AA pissed off driver with an attitude.

There was only one drive-through gas theft and we got their number and they got caught.

Raccoo
Raccoo
Posted at

I imagine it's not a good idea to steal gas from someone with a .38 in their glovebox. At least that's what the NRA tells us with theri numerous stories of defence against crime by an armed citizenry.
Heh! That something I wonder about too. I put myself in the shoes of the kind of scum that'd rob someone at gunpoint and I realise that if I thought they might have a gun too at all, I'd still rob them, but I'd also very likely shoot them as well because I'd be worried they might shoot me first.
And the more I think people might be armed, the more likely I am to shoot them dead anyway without waiting to see.

You'd make a horrible criminal. =P

Why choose to rob armed citizens, if you have a choice of robbing unarmed citizens? I think most normal people will realize that the gas is not worth the possibility of getting shot. If you don't use a silencer, the robbery would be rather loud and might attract attention of other armed citizens! And if you kill someone you'll be in MUCH worse trouble than if you stole some gas, or even robbed someone at gunpoint. The police would search for a killer a lot harder than a robber, right?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Why choose to rob armed citizens, if you have a choice of robbing unarmed citizens?
So you tell the difference with your x-ray eyes do you Superman?
I think most normal people will realize that the gas is not worth the possibility of getting shot. If you don't use a silencer, the robbery would be rather loud and might attract attention of other armed citizens! And if you kill someone you'll be in MUCH worse trouble than if you stole some gas, or even robbed someone at gunpoint. The police would search for a killer a lot harder than a robber, right?
Man, Crime happens regardless. If they're dumb enough to rob you, especially with a gun, they're dumb enough to use it. That sort don't think further than immediate survival. Not "Oh, how will I get away with it?", More like "Is he going for a gun? Shi!" BAM!

And the discussion had deviated away from theft of petrol to armed robbers in general for that. ;)

I doubt robbing people for petrol at gunpoint is common when money is a lot easier to take away.

Posted at

Stange! In MS we hae to pay BEFORE we fill up with gas. So nobody can steal your gas because your car is in the way. I didnt even know people were stealing gas!

This is a good point, if you have to go in to the clerk to pay, you can go in and pay before you pump gas in most places. If you pay them $50 they can usually tell your pump to stop pumping when it hits $50. I suppose you would just have to be sure to always pay a smaller amount than you would need to fill up your tank though, otherwise you'd have to go back in and try to get the change back, etc. So you'd never have a really full tank.

Raccoo
Raccoo
Posted at

So you tell the difference with your x-ray eyes do you Superman?
They didn't call me Clark Kent back in HS for nothing!
I was thinking of places where it's illegal to carry guns. I'm pretty sure a lot of colleges don't allow them.

Man, Crime happens regardless. If they're dumb enough to rob you, especially with a gun, they're dumb enough to use it. That sort don't think further than immediate survival. Not "Oh, how will I get away with it?", More like "Is he going for a gun? Shi!" BAM!
I agree there, they are pretty dumb.

And the discussion had deviated away from theft of petrol to armed robbers in general for that. ;)
I thought it was a topic on protecting yourself. =P

I doubt robbing people for petrol at gunpoint is common when money is a lot easier to take away.
Aye, people are more likely to try to steal gas when no one is around. Having a gun in the car won't protect it if you aren't around, so I guess it's moot point to this topic anyway.

My car came with one of those lock caps. My previous car had a lever inside it that opened the flap to the gas. I always pay at the pump, gas up my car (most times don't even go into the store). I've only had money, and a couple deer thingies (that make noise) stolen from my cars.

Posted at

Well it's hard to steal gas from gas stations because everyone has to pay at the pump now. :( It's so sad.
But I take the buses so it's not really a problem to me.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.