Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

So, it's very, very unlikely that there would be humans or even an Earth in any other universe but this one.
They might not even have the same laws of physics or even time.

(given that in most alt-universe theories there are actually a finite number of universes and that number is probably a lot smaller than the number of possible alternative events that there are between us and the beginning of time)

I think there's a parallel universe theory too… the idea is that in those universes everything is the same, I think. They're all just reflections of each other and can never interact. So there'd be humans in those… But no different at all from us in any way.
If the uni is truly infinite then every possible outcome has happened. That is the first theory. Another theory is for each possible action their is a universe for that. Then there is the whole pbrain theory saying that universes are actually sheets/membranes that sometimes rub/touch each other and when this happens a new uni is formed. There is one more main one I am forgeting.

mr_thin
mr_thin
Posted at

the space ship never landed at roswell, and no one ever reverse engineered the transister.

fix'd.

Roswell– July 8, 1947

Transitor–Bell Laboratories on December 16, 1947

Hahaha. Thanks for fixing that.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

If the uni is truly infinite then every possible outcome has happened. That is the first theory. Another theory is for each possible action their is a universe for that. Then there is the whole pbrain theory saying that universes are actually sheets/membranes that sometimes rub/touch each other and when this happens a new uni is formed. There is one more main one I am forgeting.

the one which needs string theory, which inturn needs 11 plus dimensions. there are spots inside this universe where the laws don't apply, or are applied quite differently. each spot being a "seperate" universe.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

I'd like to see what would happen if MLK survived to continue his work.

I believe the Boondocks covered this one.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

I'd like to see what would happen if MLK survived to continue his work.

I believe the Boondocks covered this one.

Boondocks covered that he was in a coma. and woke up to see where it turned. I think Chernobog, means, that he lived, continued his work.

that actually is an interesting one.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

From the theories I know of, not many are infinite. -The ones put forward by serious physicists that is. :)

For the SciFi fantasy ones though, anything's cool, but then most aliens in popular SciFi are human shaped, just with weird skin and a funny head -_-

Posted at

-That means; if different events occur differently, different outcomes result, so you get a differently formed universe right? Well there are several billion, billion chances that had to go just the right way to bring human life into being to begin with, let alone life at all, the earth or even the solar system or the Milky Way.

That sorta reminds me of a song but the song lyrics are on a smaller scale:
"For billions of years since the outset of time
Every single one of your ancestors survived
Every single person on your mum and dad's side
Successfully looked after and passed on to you life.
What are the chances of that, like?
It comes to me once in a while
And everywhere I tell folk it gets the best smile."

imshard
imshard
Posted at

Alternate events? hmm…. Either Washington established a monarchy instead of surrendering the presidency OR Napoleon had succeeded in uniting Europe… maybe both, why not.

Posted at

OR Napoleon had succeeded in uniting Europe…

We wouldn't have shitty Coldplay songs like Viva La Vida.

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

OR Napoleon had succeeded in uniting Europe…

We wouldn't have shitty Coldplay songs like Viva La Vida.

That's true, but unfortunately they'd compensate with another shitty song

Posted at

That's true, but unfortunately they'd compensate with another shitty song

So then it's settled we go back in time and eliminate Chris Martin and in turn stop the birth of Gweneth Paltrows baby Apple who will one day become the greatest fascist dictator the world has ever seen.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

]Then there is the whole pbrain theory saying that universes are actually sheets/membranes that sometimes rub/touch each other and when this happens a new uni is formed.
so universe is just like people

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The dinsaurs were never wiped out and evolved into intelligent bipedal creatures then invented the internet and developed a community about web comics named after an inebriated waterfowl cousin of theirs.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The dinsaurs were never wiped out and evolved into intelligent bipedal creatures then invented the internet and developed a community about web comics named after an inebriated waterfowl cousin of theirs.
That's not alternate, that's reality.

The trick is; how do we keep that pesky human out? You know… That one guy. Kyup…
Ah, best not say anymore, he already knows faaaar too much!

I suggest a few chemtrails tomorrow to cover our tracks. ;)
Maybe a vaccination and some more fluoride?

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

I think it would be interesting to see what the overall outcome would be if the dinosaurs had survived being wiped out and if evolution had taken place

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

In a few instances, you can do this type of thing with the Civilization games AND Spore. Too bad Spore, while a very, very fun and addicting game, doesn't expand on the entire Civilization style-gameplay.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.