Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

Buddhists- Probably the only non-retarded religion out there. Nice to everyone, and worship a fat guy.
a fat, HAPPY guy whose most important commandment is to enjoy life and laugh a lot!

:)

Posted at

I believe it's because city people are so removed from the natural world… they are out of touch with reality and thus tend to be more confused and angry.
Or maybe the natural world is out of touch with society.

And have sensitive ears.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What's this "city people" stuff? Huh?
I live in the city, but spend most of my time in my lovely suburb… It has the beach, tall pine trees, cafes, lovely breezes, green parks etc.

If that's being out of touch with reality I'm happy to stay that way :P

Randal
Randal
Posted at

Let's face it, every group has their assholes. Some groups have more assholes than others. Some groups are mostly assholes, some groups only have a few. And anybody with a set of beliefs pre-judges to some degree… and "enlightened liberals" are some of the biggest offenders, despite what they'd like you to believe (any group who commends the execution of innocent babies and opposes the killing of convicted murderers has to be a little loopy). This transcends every political, racial and religious barrier.

Personally, I try to keep an open mind… unless you believe in psychics and mediums. You I just feel sorry for being duped by charlatans. I'm not saying I don't believe in anything paranormal or unexplained, I just don't believe that anybody who really could tap those areas (if they even exist, which i doubt until proven otherwise) would exploit those abilities out of fear of persecution. (Still waiting for someone to claim The Amazing Randy's $1million prize).

Americans are not much different in this than others. People outside our borders tend to forget that there are all kinds of people here from all over the world. (A lot of people from here forget this too…) People who call themselves Americans have origins from all over the globe. We are white, black, oriental, latino, arabic, Polynesian … I don't think there is a single group that isn't represented. We are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindi, Atheist and many others. My line of work has taken me all over this country and I have seen all kinds from all walks of life and they all call themselves Americans. Some of them are loud, some of them are not. (45 of the 48 contiguous states)

Mainly I have to agree with Lord Shplane about assholes being from everywhere. But then, there are great people from everywhere too. I also bet he's a Libertarian more than a Republican. ;)

Posted at

opposes the killing of convicted murderers
Convicted doesn't mean they did it.

Posted at

opposes the killing of convicted murderers
Convicted doesn't mean they did it.

More likely for them to have done it than the unborn babies. And anyway, if we didn't kill them, they'd just rot in prison. Personally, I'd rather die fast than slowly get raped to death in prison.

Posted at

Maybe make it an option?

Besides, who are we to decide at what point in time a baby is technically alive?

EDIT: I don't suggest abortions, but I also don't suggest telling people what to do.

Posted at

Maybe make it an option?

Besides, who are we to decide at what point in time a baby is technically alive?

So you're saying that it's ok to decide if someone gets to live, so long as they haven't started doing it yet?

Also, option sounds good, but no one's probably smart enough to take it.

Posted at

Oh, I don't know, isn't that kind of like saying that a woman must use every possible chance to get pregnant for the rest of her life? Well, if she doesn't, that's being selfish to the poor baby.

Posted at

I'll just go ahead and say that why I draw the line where I do:

Before conception- At any point, it's possible that a woman might get pregnant. There's a chance that she might have a baby.

After conception- At this point, without intervention (Abortion), chances are VERY, VERY HIGH that the woman will have a baby.

So I'm protecting probable babies instead of possible ones. At the point when that person WILL exist, I draw the line, instead of when they DO or MIGHT.

Pre-conception= Might exist.

Post-conception= Will exist.

Birth= Does exist.

My solution? If you don't want to get pregnant, use a goddamn condom. If you're too stupid to do so, then you're also too stupid to decide who does or doesn't live.

EDIT: Also, let's not talk about it anymore. I REALLY, REALLY don't want to do this discussion. REALLY, REALLY VERY MUCH SO.

Posted at

All right, I get what you're saying, makes sense. Once again, I really don't think abortions are the best option. I really wish people wouldn't do it, but I don't want to start bossing people around.

…So, yeah. Americans.

Posted at

Europeans have super-hearing when it comes to American accents. America never got the memo, since we were too ashamed to lose the race for super-hearing technology.

gigatwo
gigatwo
Posted at

So you're saying that it's ok to decide if someone gets to live, so long as they haven't started doing it yet?

I guess thats what I believe. Maybe it's just because the anti-abortionists that protest in front of the planned parenthood (right by my house) are just about as annoying they get. Being pro-life and pro-death penalty seems downright hypocritical to me. Then again, I happen to be a hypocrite in other ways, so I shouldn't talk much.

To me, life begins when thought processes begin. I can't help but feel that taking a life is much worse than preventing one. I would not favor abortion over conception, but I'm not a woman, and I believe that that does matter.

Now to bring this thread back to where it started, I urge you not to reply to this post unless you feel that it's necessary.

I don't personally believe that it's fair to generalize the population of a single nation, but I can see where the disdain comes from. Being American myself, I'd like to hope that I don't come across as an arrogant and self-centered individual, but that's not for me to judge.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

Europeans have super-hearing when it comes to American accents. America never got the memo, since we were too ashamed to lose the race for super-hearing technology.

DAMNIT!!! NOW THEY ALL KNOW!!! ><

Posted at

I guess thats what I believe. Maybe it's just because the anti-abortionists that protest in front of the planned parenthood (right by my house) are just about as annoying they get. Being pro-life and pro-death penalty seems downright hypocritical to me. Then again, I happen to be a hypocrite in other ways, so I shouldn't talk much.

To me, life begins when thought processes begin. I can't help but feel that taking a life is much worse than preventing one. I would not favor abortion over conception, but I'm not a woman, and I believe that that does matter.

Awww fuck, I didn't really want to get into this… But dammit, I just have to reply to this.

First off, your gender makes no difference. What is right and what is wrong cross the boundary of sex. Morality knows no gender.

Murder and abortion are simply different ways to reach the same ends. They both result in a person who would be alive not being alive. They both cause the same thing, and since the thing they cause is universally despised, so to should both actions.

As for pro death penalty, the difference between capital punishment and murder is simple: Capital punishment exists to PROTECT human life. That might sound crazy, but it's true. By having such an extreme punishment in place, it dissuades people from killing one another, because they know that they will die themselves. Self-preservation kicks in, and says "Oh fuck no, don't do that."

An even larger difference is this: those who are murdered are generally (more or less) innocent. Those subjected to capital punishment are generally murderers, people who have abandoned their right to live by taking someone else's right to live. Yes, there are those who are innocent. Sometimes the legal system fucks up. But the ones who are innocent are far and away the minority. And with DNA evidence and such, it's becoming FAR easier to distinguish the guilty from the innocent. And if we were to stop capital punishment for the sake of those few, VERY few, innocents, then we would allow far more innocents to die at the hands of REAL murderers, who no longer have that strong incentive to stay away from killing.

Capital punishment is only carried out when someone has been tried by a jury of his peers, and by due process of law has been determined guilty. In the case of abortion, there is no judge, there is no jury. Those responsibilities are placed solely on the mother. And those are responsibilities that not everyone can handle. And even if there was a trial, what crime could an unborn child possibly commit? What could they have done to null their right to live?

This is my reasoning. I deem it to be correct. Take it as you will.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

Heh. How about them Americans, huh?

(I didn't really mean to get this ball rolling on killing babies vs killing Murderers... There is a debate forum here at the duck and this is better discussed there. In fact, I'm willing to bet there is a thread or ten on this very subject. There's nothing stopping you from discussing this, just let's please keep threads on topic by continuing that debate in the proper place. Thanks.)

Posted at

I feel the need to weigh in, as an American and a linguist.
It is a quite simple rule of linguistics that is still unknown in many developing nations, like Canada and many parts of Europe, that you can be easily understood by increasing your volume and obnoxiousness. Anyone failing to comprehend you, or that thinks you uncultered, is merely stubborn or uneducated, in case case they are not worth you time to begin with.

Posted at

By having such an extreme punishment in place, it dissuades people from killing one another, because they know that they will die themselves. Self-preservation kicks in, and says "Oh fuck no, don't do that."
But, like you said, they'd rather die then rot in jail.

So it's scarier.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

dude. can't you just pm him about it or talk about it in the other forum? why do you have to continue to veer this thread off topic?

Posted at

The reason forums don't work is that there's no such thing as a linear conversation. We've already done this Americans thing to death, so it's not like this thread has a point anymore.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

if it's dead to you, go find/start a new one. leave it for people who haven't chimed in or are still not bored with it. however, thread titles are there for a reason and there are already threads on abortion that you can go sink your teeth into. (as well as ones on the death penalty.)

Posted at

Alright, alright.

I don't think I'm loud. I just think that in our dialect we speak louder. Not really something we can control. Sorry, I guess.

Posted at

By having such an extreme punishment in place, it dissuades people from killing one another, because they know that they will die themselves. Self-preservation kicks in, and says "Oh fuck no, don't do that."
But, like you said, they'd rather die then rot in jail.

So it's scarier.

MY LAST POST ON THIS SUBJECT I WILL NOT BE DISCUSSING IT IN THIS THREAD FURTHER

I said that I would rather die, not the rest of them. Most people would rather get life in prison.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.