Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Anyone else beginning to hate their life as of now? ( not that you don't hae any hope for the future..)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Amazing how the wisest things were said by that quietest of American Presidents "Silent Cal" Coolidge.

Real time Strategy games (which tend to have little to do with real world war-fighting ;) ) are an interesting analogy. You pursue goals that are often an illusion. The game will beat you because you can't persist like you can on a real battlefield. Computer War games rarely let you grasp victory from the jaws of defeat. That's a problem with the random number generators, at times they're just not random enough. Not too many RTS games let you pull off the Miracle at Midway and conversely MacClellan always destroys Lee at Antietam.

To be a general you must love the army. To be a good general you must be willing to destroy that thing you love. (R.E. Lee)

Don't give me skilled general, give me a lucky general! But a truly masterful general makes his own luck. (Napoleon)

Why is the American soldier so successful? As an amatuer he doesn't know enough about war to know when he's defeated so he keeps fighting until he wins. (A German general in WWI)

"I STILL LIVE!" (John Carter of Mars' battle cry.)

As long as he survived and persisted he wouldn't fail. Edgar Rice Burroughs understood that. He was nearly at the end of a long spiral of failure when he wrote his two books. (Tarzan of the Apes and A Princess of Mars)

I'm a survivor. I used to think life was World War One trench warfare. Over the top striving for the green fields beyond and everybody drowns in the mud of Passchendale. I know now that you just have to persist because eventually you will make that breakthrough. I still live.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Real time Strategy games (which tend to have little to do with real world war-fighting
Eh, that's because they're about resource management. They're like a bastard mix of a management and hostile colonisation scenario using a pseudo war theme. The best way to do well is good management, not clever strategy. Usually.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I'm a bit slow with RTS games myself. I prefer the 4X games, especially the Sci Fi ones (current favorite is Galactic Civilizations II).

I thought my life would stabilized, but now it's going haywire again and it's mostly work related this time too. We got military moving in from Japan; things are going be lively with all those marines here (and my job will be harder if my experience with the Marines is any indication)…

Posted at

This year hasn't been the best for a lot of people. My grandmother died of cancer a few months ago, my parents and bf don't get along and I'm fighting with both sets to try to get along. I've started Grad school and feel as though I don't know where my life is going to be anymore (once im done with it). Everyone around me is getting sick or having heart attacks. Stress from work, school, family and friends.

I'm getting along okay though. The best reasoning that I use when I feel stressed or upset is this, "This too shall pass". I don't remember where I originally heard that, but its true. If you think about any problem you ever had, it eventually finds a way to get resolved! =)

Posted at

I'm not totally satisfied with my current place in life but I think it's alright. Work takes up most of my time but I think I recognize that I'm in this really stressful period of my career so everything will change and stablize eventually.

Time is always a big issue. I want to take up drawing again but I have a hard time even socializing let alone sitting down for two hours every other day to draw. Work just took up my whole life.

(I actually had this crazy dream today about how I tried to kill myself in a method that clearly wouldn't kill anyone…and I stood there later in the dream wondering why I broke this model of the Effiel Tower. "I could have used that in an art class for still life drawing." Apparently even in a dream where I am trying to commit suicide I still think about work.)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Real time Strategy games (which tend to have little to do with real world war-fighting
Eh, that's because they're about resource management. They're like a bastard mix of a management and hostile colonisation scenario using a pseudo war theme. The best way to do well is good management, not clever strategy. Usually.

Amateurs think tactics, professionals think logistics. However the way most RTS games bastardize logistics you're rewarded for using 17th-18th century military management not 19th-20th century. It's more like a series of magazines and siege trains and baggage wagons wallowing in the van of Marlborough's army than the Red Army at any point of its existence. lol!

Lonnehart, the best way to deal with marines is to remember what USMC stands for: Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. ;)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's true Bravo, which is one of the reasons I don't play them anymore… They're not "war" game enough, nor even that great at being about colonisation… The best computer war games for strategy were those old turn based ones, but they were so fricken slow. >_<

We got military moving in from Japan; things are going be lively with all those marines here (and my job will be harder if my experience with the Marines is any indication)…
It always used to be annoying here when a U.S. battlegroup was in port. The guys were usually so immature, like a bunch of highschool kids away on holiday camp.

It seems fewer and fewer battlegroups have stopped off here over the years though. So I was shocked to the core to see American sailors and officers all over Fremantle the other day, not because they were here again, but because of how sober, mature and freaking well behaved they were. It was a whole WTF experience… o_O
I suppose actual battle experience settles people down? I have no other explanation for it. I've never, ever seen military personal as well behaved as that, ever (In such a large group).
Amazing.

The Stepford Sailors… *Dun, Dun, Duuuuunnnn!*

So maybe you'll be in for a better time of it now?

Posted at

I don't know half the time I'm uber happy to the point that people around me find it totally annoying and half the time I'm completely suicidal. If only I could find a nice middle ground I guess it would be best for everybody.

Posted at

I don't know half the time I'm uber happy to the point that people around me find it totally annoying and half the time I'm completely suicidal. If only I could find a nice middle ground I guess it would be best for everybody.

bi-polar disorder? they've got meds for that. of course, they've also got meds for "restless leg syndrome" which is a fancy way of saying "you twitched as you fell asleep and woke back up" so it's a matter of consideration.

Posted at

No way I don't trust that stuff. They put my friend on meds and he hasn't been the same since… Um well he also "found Jesus" which makes people act differently but IDK…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.