Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

would you still join the army knowing what you do now?
Most definitely not!

Posted at

I'm a CDT. SSG in my local Rotc. Is there any idvice to give to anybody who plans on going airborne, or just joining in general?

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

here's a serious question.

from what i see on the news and newspaper articles this war seems a lot like vietnam. i think it's mainly because the US is occupying the country and the enemy is hard to distinguish from the regular locals. the enemy is also using hit and run gorilla tactics. and there doesn't seem to be any end to this conflict.

do you guys see this the same way i do from the newspapers and TV news?

Posted at

First, I just want to give a thanks for all of your sacrifice!

Despite the talk and bullshit politics it seems both parties
are intent on hanging in there. Which makes me wonder who's
really running the show. The news is too biased either one way
or another, but I have a feeling we are never leaving and permenant
bases will set up once a pro American government is in place and
stable.
I guess the question is what keeps your moral high during all this
political crap that goes on? And what constitutes a win?
Also, do you guys plan on making a career of the of it or are you
done with it once you get a chance?
What bothers me most is that you never hear anything from the soldiers
in the field unless it's something spun to the negative. From what I've
read here so far you're in good spirits, despite what the news reports.
well in one word….. friends.
friends are the one thing that keeps me sane here….. whether it be in real life, or on here….. it also helps to know that we're so supported in everything we do…..

i wholeheartedly agree with penguins above statement….. it sucks to lose a comrade…… but we have to drive on….. i lost one of the most important people to me in my life due to this war….. but you know what? I am proud to have been by his side here in iraq during his final moments….. no matter how bad it gets, no matter what happens, i know i will always carry around a sense of pride that most people could never dream of feeling, because of this war……

and as for reenlistment…… lmao….. i couldn't if i wanted to…. i have about a year and a half left as well…. but im what you would call a troublemaker….. or what they call in the army a "Shitbag" lmao……. and i was told just yesterday that im not gonna be able to reenlist……. but meh, i was planning on getting out anyway so i could further my education….. so its a win-win situation for me….

Sorry for two posts in a row, but I just have to say…..
DAWW… give me a hug!!!

Mak
Mak
Posted at

I'm a CDT. SSG in my local Rotc. Is there any idvice to give to anybody who plans on going airborne, or just joining in general?

Yea, DON'T, jumping out of a plane is STUPID. Besides, you can't be airborne and be a DAT, and if you're not a DAT you're a crunchie.

Bandits

Mak
Mak
Posted at

In all seriousness, get prepared to run, and run, and run, and carry heavy stuff while running. Never forget why you joined. Understand that at some point in time you are going to have to point a loaded weapon at someone else's brother/father/son, and know that you have to sleep with that. (I do just fine) And remember LT's don't have any idea what they are talking about.

Posted at

Yea, DON'T, jumping out of a plane is STUPID. Besides, you can't be airborne and be a DAT, and if you're not a DAT you're a crunchie.

Bandits

Ok, serious question, I have no idea what a "DAT" is, will you inform me?

Mak
Mak
Posted at

Bandits

Sorry DAT is meant to be an insult. Technically it should be C-DAT. A DAT is a dumb ass tanker. The C in C-DAT stands for Computerized, in reference to the ballistic computers they put in modern tanks. (Post Vietnam era). In the Army, Tankers are famous for fixing everything with a hammer. And I mean everything. We had a small hammer that we used on our electronics.

Posted at

Bandits

Sorry DAT is meant to be an insult. Technically it should be C-DAT. A DAT is a dumb ass tanker. The C in C-DAT stands for Computerized, in reference to the ballistic computers they put in modern tanks. (Post Vietnam era). In the Army, Tankers are famous for fixing everything with a hammer. And I mean everything. We had a small hammer that we used on our electronics.

Seems like a legitemat strategy.

Posted at

Bandits

And we still do.

qdawg
qdawg
Posted at

What do you/did you miss most while deployed? Since I don't think I have already. Thank You.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

A technical question relevant to my comic:

I'm looking up stuff concerning the 20mm M61 Vulcan cannon. After calculations, each 20mm shell delivers a force of 1030 Newtons, or 105 kg.m/s.

Now, I don't have any reference point on what constitutes "stopping power."

Let's say a normal man is holding Capt. America's unbreakable shield in front of him, and he's braced for impact. Now, one 20mm shell is fired at the shield head on, from 10 yards.

How far will he be knocked back? Will his arms be broken? Is he gonna be unconscious? Is he gonna be dead? Was the force of the shell equivalent to a sedan hitting his shield? A SUV?

Hopefully you guys know, or know guys who know.

Edit: Doing some elementary math, a 60kg man hit by a force of 105kg.m/s, not including real life FX such as penetration etc, will fall back at 2 m/s. That really doesn't seem like much… So if a person has some sort of force field that distributes kinetic energy over his entire body, a 20mm shell hitting him won't do too much?

A woman getting hit by a bus going at 10mph receives roughly 397,671 Newtons or 40,551 kg.m/s. She bounces off the bus' windshield and flies back, and survives with fracture to arm, rib, skull.

A 100-kg football linebacker moving at 2 m/s tackling you head on will deliver a force of 1961 Newtons or 200 kg.m/s.

Mak
Mak
Posted at

I'm looking up stuff concerning the 20mm M61 Vulcan cannon. After calculations, each 20mm shell delivers a force of 1030 Newtons, or 105 kg.m/s.

Let's say a normal man is holding Capt. America's unbreakable shield in front of him, and he's braced for impact. Now, one 20mm shell is fired at the shield head on, from 10 yards.

How far will he be knocked back? Will his arms be broken? Is he gonna be unconscious? Is he gonna be dead? Was the force of the shell equivalent to a sedan hitting his shield? A SUV?

I don't know exact distances, but I have seen a similar weapon fire on ground targets. He would probably be knocked back a good 10 feet. I would say yes his arms would be broken, and I believe he would be dead, because the shield would probably be knocked back into his head. Now the thing you have to remember is that a vulcan fires so fast, it is pretty much impossible that a target that size would only be hit by one round. He would suffer multiple impacts, and not just to the shield. The vulcan is used to fill an area with lead, it is not an accurate weapon. Just something to think about.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Thanks. I've revised my scene thanks to what you told me, to make it more believable.

Posted at

What do you/did you miss most while deployed? Since I don't think I have already. Thank You.

Do the most? Patrol the street and have pissed off Iraqi's take pop shots at us.

Miss most?
heh, i'm a guy, surrounded by guys, what do you think?

Posted at

Edit: Doing some elementary math, a 60kg man hit by a force of 105kg.m/s, not including real life FX such as penetration etc, will fall back at 2 m/s. That really doesn't seem like much… So if a person has some sort of force field that distributes kinetic energy over his entire body, a 20mm shell hitting him won't do too much?

A woman getting hit by a bus going at 10mph receives roughly 397,671 Newtons or 40,551 kg.m/s. She bounces off the bus' windshield and flies back, and survives with fracture to arm, rib, skull.

A 100-kg football linebacker moving at 2 m/s tackling you head on will deliver a force of 1961 Newtons or 200 kg.m/s.

That weapon is mounted on the A-10 WartHog anti-tank jet. It fires so fast and is so powerful the jet can only fire short busts of its weapon because it will be knocked out of the air by its own force. Even when it fires it stalls and is pushed back by the shear power of this weapon. It stalls a jet. It will turn any tank into swiss cheese.

Thank god its on my side.

Posted at

A list of favorites of you so please:
Handhold gun (signal hand or both)?
Mounted gun?
Tank?
Helicopter?
Jet plane?

Posted at

A list of favorites of you so please:
Handhold gun (signal hand or both)?
Mounted gun?
Tank?
Helicopter?
Jet plane?

-Single because its a 9mm, theres no need for a second hand.
-besides the 120mm? Its the m240
-M1A1 TUSK. duh
-Apache longbow
-A-10 warthog

mlai
mlai
Posted at

That weapon is mounted on the A-10 WartHog anti-tank jet. It fires so fast and is so powerful the jet can only fire short busts of its weapon because it will be knocked out of the air by its own force. Even when it fires it stalls and is pushed back by the shear power of this weapon. It stalls a jet. It will turn any tank into swiss cheese.
Oh man, did I recruit yet another unbeatable monster which will cause me to write myself into another corner?
I'll be damned if flyboys laugh at my manga for being ill-informed! My research is impeccable!

*Runs back to edit script.*

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Y'know, some ppl might be a tad superstitious and be very offended by a question like that. I know I'd be that type.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.