Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Jamesabels
Jamesabels
Posted at

Yea, the first one I posted was done at 5am on no sleep haha, That was my first coloring in a few months and its a bit overdone. to blend the colors with the lines, uh that is just how I work or something, but all of my colors are done with mid range opacity. I try to keep color off the lines where I can as well and trace some lines with a thin eraser.

Not sure if that is very traditional, I'm kind of re-learning so all tips are welcomed!

BTW: I bow down to your work! thats pretty amazing :)

pastel
pastel
Posted at

If you want to avoid those problems with the lines, james, here's the technique most people use:

-The lineart layer is always on top and set on 'multiply.' After you do this, don't touch this layer ever again.

-Make all new layers under the lineart layers and as you can see in the picture, the coloring goes directly under it and doesn't mess with it! The different colors on different layers don't affect each other at all. :D Which is always good.

Here's how I personally did it:

there's a lot XD lol

Jamesabels
Jamesabels
Posted at

ahh! duh! haha, thanks for the tips, this is what I do but reversed, witch makes much more since to do it under the lines! haha But like I said I'm re-learning since I'm out of a "Real" job

Redid the lines the correct way :)

Posted at

Heh, I was asking how you did the lines because I have been trying to get rid of pure black lines in my own comic :3

Anyway, you can dissect my work here.
http://www.justnopoint.com/Stuff/nmc14.rar

Anyone can also use it to build more (in case you wish to try and don't feel like playing with the flats)

Pastel… what kind of brush did you use to get the light effect around the moon? It is divine =D

And your hair is awesome as well, I need to get better with highlights like those.

Posted at

I jsut fell out my seat while feeding my son.lol. Wow I did not know your coloring would look so well with my drawing.

My try.

@ Jamesabels… what are you doing to get the ink lines to blend with the colors?

EDIT: Also, just a bit of critic on your coloring Jamesabels… IMO you are overdoing it a bit on the "bevel/emboss" effect in photoshop. Not a bad thing to use but if you wish to use it a lot you may want to at least apply another layer of shading to hide some of the obvious flawed areas.

Just an example, the area where his arm connects to his shirt. You can see how the effect chisels the arm out even where they meet.

Same with the moon. A great effect on the moon but that creature that is floating in front of the moon is also making dents in it =P

I hope you don't mind a bit of feedback like this. :)

Jamesabels
Jamesabels
Posted at

Heh, I was asking how you did the lines because I have been trying to get rid of pure black lines in my own comic :3

Anyway, you can dissect my work here.
http://www.justnopoint.com/Stuff/nmc14.rar

Anyone can also use it to build more (in case you wish to try and don't feel like playing with the flats)

Pastel… what kind of brush did you use to get the light effect around the moon? It is divine =D

And your hair is awesome as well, I need to get better with highlights like those.

That is very nice of you to lend us the file, hands on is always the best way to learn art!

Posted at

thanks a bunch looks kinda hard to do. I may just stick with inking and and drawing I will leave the rest to you amazing artist. IF ic ould i would combined all the coloring that was done on this forum to have to ultimate character designed

If you want to avoid those problems with the lines, james, here's the technique most people use:

-The lineart layer is always on top and set on 'multiply.' After you do this, don't touch this layer ever again.

-Make all new layers under the lineart layers and as you can see in the picture, the coloring goes directly under it and doesn't mess with it! The different colors on different layers don't affect each other at all. :D Which is always good.

Here's how I personally did it:

there's a lot XD lol

Jamesabels
Jamesabels
Posted at

Not to hijack your thread but just wanted to show my latest work since using what i have learned from you guys!
Sorry its not your character but I'm proud of it and feel that my groove is back on track :)

Posted at

hopefully they dont get mad at you for posting this up. But this is very pro like. Love the way you colored it. Well I think you Should PQ Awaxx he is bascailly the writer of the story and he is dealing with the artist pick up. Hopefully someone will find interest in my work and will pay us. But for now I have to start form the bottom to work my way up. I have alot more stuff.

The God of wind he control the nation he lives somewhere in the floating city.

Demon Carrier the elite

This is the God of Earth she is just a child

I will not be posting anymore drawings on this forum hopefully some is willing to ride with me to the top.(bold) Yes I know but someone has to be.

Posted at

Is there away you can give the eyes some life. Like anime style color?

pastel
pastel
Posted at

You know how there's two size 19 brushes in the first few rows of photoshop? It's the second one. :)

Awaxx
Awaxx
Posted at

Seeing the characters in color really looks great. I sent a couple of you messages to see if your seriously interested in helping us out. I have liked everything ive seen so far! Let us know if u can help.

pastel & JustNoPoint your work is simply amazing

Posted at

This is what I got done in an hour. ^^ (Means I still haven't finished >.< )

It really was fun to color, but I got so tired near the end, lol. A lot of your line-work competes with coloring. XD I had to erase some lines in the hair because they were crossing into the shading I was doing.

Oh, I cleaned up your picture and used this to color: :)

WOW Pastel you are amazing!!!! How did you clean up the inked scan? I have been trying everything, and it leaves gray muddy traces behind…

Posted at

Yes the characters in color look off the charts from everyone. WOW!

pastel
pastel
Posted at

n_y_japlander: I just used brightness + contrast. ^^

Anyway, here's the finished product :D

I think this took me 3-4 hours from start to finish.

And a side-by-side comparison so you can see the things I added in the final version~

Backlighting is always fun to do, but soooo time-consuming XD

Posted at

This is breath taking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long have you been coloring on photoshop?

pastel
pastel
Posted at

This is breath taking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long have you been coloring on photoshop?

Almost 3 years I suppose. With a tablet it's only been 2. ^^

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Um…I'm bringing forth my attempt eventually. Like tomorrow or thursday. It cannot rival with the greatness that is Pastel and all the others, but I would like to take a descent stap at it. My line art isn't pristine enough for me to color like this.

Posted at

I cant wait to see it Send me a pq if yo finish earlier

Um…I'm bringing forth my attempt eventually. Like tomorrow or thursday. It cannot rival with the greatness that is Pastel and all the others, but I would like to take a descent stap at it. My line art isn't pristine enough for me to color like this.

Posted at

Thanks for bringing my character to life.This is so cool. Im jumping in my seat like a kid.lol

Almost 3 years I suppose. With a tablet it's only been 2. ^^

Posted at

Hey this is wicked. What do you think of this one Awaxx?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Let me try to post it again.

I guess you could say that my style is more of a simplistic "down to earth" watercolor. I know it pails in comparison to people like Pastel, but I wanted to give it a try.

Posted at

This also amazing it work well with the picture.It not about the best color it is what best fits the comic.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.