Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Black vs White

Prototaph
Prototaph
Posted at

…Socks that is. I've always wondered what or where the idea that one must wear black socks to a job interview is all about. This has vexed me recently due to the fact I am among the many job finders out there. How prevalent can it be to your chances of procuring any kind of job is if one must wear a specific kind of sock? Further, if it DOES truly matter, and you do not get a job solely because of your lack of black socks, do you REALLY want to work for that kind of company. I've been able, slowly, to get behind the idea of dressing up for an interview, fake though it might be. But I draw the line at the socks. They make my feet sweaty and uncomfortable. The last thing I want is to be (any more) uncomfortable during an interview.

The debate should really be: Is it required to wear black socks to an interview, or is it just another pointless tradition passed down from our fathers?

(Incidentally, I must apologize if anyone clicked on this topic, hoping for something deeper than socks. It was a shameless hook for topic viewers and I admit it.)

imshard
imshard
Posted at

I just like to wear black socks all the time anyway. Namely because they're comfy and I have poor circulation and need them to stay warm in the sub-zero air-conditioning of a corporate office.

I take it that some people prefer sandals. Yet all aspects of a persons f=dress cast you into a different stereo-type in somebody's mind. This tradition is important for one reason. Customers are jerks, and how you dress really does reflect on your personality. If you wear a business suit it seems more likely that you'll be a hard and earnest worker. If you wear business casual an employer may think you're an okay guy but have trouble making good decisions. If you wear a T and jeans they'll think you don't care what you look like and therefore won't care what the customers think of you. That would be bad as businesses have to rely on their image to sell products. So yes it is an unfair tradition that you must bear because the general consumer walking in to buy your wares is a shallow and vain SOB.

Seriously name a person who doesn't make some appearance-based judgment about others.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

I think if its a really fancy job, black socks would look better. But if its a regular job, white socks should do it.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

Why does everything have to be so black and white with people around here?

What's wrong with different colour socks? Blues? Greys? Browns? And what about patterns? Life isn't black and white and nor should socks be. (Well, not exclusively anyway!)

Or, if you prefer a serious answer, I've interviewed people for jobs and I have never once made a decision based on the candidate's socks. (Although … thinking of some of the people I've employed, maybe I should have done!)

Posted at

this is a lock [ ]
this is a lock on your topic

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Serisously. A Discussion about socks?

Posted at

The simple answer:
Black is a 'powerful' colour… that's why bikies wear black.
If you wear black socks your feet feel powerful and confident… your feet are literally your foundation so powerful feet means powerful all over…
It's a subconscious thing… the interviewer picks up on the interviewee's vibe of self-confidence and grants them the job.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

I hate blacks. D:<

(…socks, that is.)

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

I see no problem in it. If it gets you that much closer to the job you apply for, it seems silly not to wear black socks.

They go great with your shoes.

D0m
D0m
Posted at

I always wear black socks. It's just become a habit. I figure no one's going to see it, anyway…=P

korosu
korosu
Posted at

My guess is that for a fancy interview, you'll wear fancy shoes, which are black, you'll have to wear black socks to match. Either that, or white socks just stick out more.

Posted at

Am I the only one who throws away socks after 1 use?

I SRSLY just buy a pack a week…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

You have really stinky feet?

For work in a more professional environment I'll wear a nice pair of thin grey socks. ..just because they look nice with my brown leather shoes…

But what about shoes? I really don't like men's black leather dress shoes… I think they look like something a school kid would wear! I like brown ones. -_-

The old style super shiny patent leather ones are ok… Just, but a bit flashy generally. Brown is more relaxed

Posted at

what about socks that are other colours?

or those not good enough for you people?!

Posted at

You have really stinky feet?

lolno.

Just a habit from working in ditches… They would get WAY too dirty, and it was useless to wash them.

ALSO: Nothing feels better than brand new socks.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

ALSO: Nothing feels better than brand new socks.
…I wanted SOOOO badly to make a dirty joke here… OMG I have like 10 ready to go… I won't though. :)

ubernite
ubernite
Posted at

Black.

Black socks hardly ever look dirty.

SwinS
SwinS
Posted at

If they give you trouble about it call them racist.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.