Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Breast Cancer awareness!

bryan
bryan
Posted at

Hello, I'm here sit down and have a bit of a chat with you all, if you'll allow it.

As you may or may not know, it is 'wear pink month', and if you do know that and you don't know why, then here is a bit of information for you:

In 2005, breast cancer caused 502,000 deaths (7% of cancer deaths; almost 1% of all deaths) worldwide. Among women worldwide, breast cancer is the most common cause of cancer death. (World Health Organization, Fact sheet)

In the United States, breast cancer is the third most common cause of cancer death… and Among women in the U.S., breast cancer is the most common cancer and the second- most common cause of cancer death (after lung cancer). (American Cancer Society)

Women in the U.S. have a 1 in 8 lifetime chance of developing invasive breast cancer and a 1 in 33 chance of breast cancer causing their death. (American Cancer Society)

Now, I'm sorry that this was all so drab and very very unsettling, but there IS something you can help do… and it's soooo easy. 2 things:

First, if you have a digg account, go here and digg up the cause…

http://www.digg.com/health/Free_Mammograms

If you don't have a digg account, and don't want to create one, go here and click on the big pink button:

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2

If you wonder how it works:
When you click, we display ads from our site sponsors. 100% of the money from these advertisers goes to our charity partners, who fund programs to provide mammograms to women in need.

You can click on it once a day for it to have an effect.

Thanks a lot for your time :)

(p.s. Please pass this on to friends and family, so a large difference can be made)

Posted at

I have neither breasts or cancer.

But I will do what I can, by clicking said button after observing it carefully.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I'm clicking like mad.

bryan
bryan
Posted at

Yes, I know that a majority of DD is male (I have no delusions), but that doesn't mean men can't support awareness or even help! Thanks to ya'll that have already clicked 'like mad,' but if you like boobs are at least neutral to them, click and support!

Posted at

actually DD is composed of almost 1/2 fem and male
and 0.1% of cthulu :)

just cause they don't come to the forums as much, doesn't mean there isn't alot of female readers. so keep that in mind in your target audience.

Posted at

0.1% of cthulu :)

just cause they don't come to the forums as much, doesn't mean there isn't alot of female readers. so keep that in mind in your target audience.

D: Cthulhu gets his own percentage?!

lucky him.

Posted at

Yes, we forum females are a rare breed. I've given my click and amm glad to be living in the UK where we get these scans free.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I volunteer to check your breasts… for, uh, "lumps"? :)

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Haha. Sorry to disillusion y'all, but men DO have breasts (be them smaller and uh, non functioning). And yes, they DO also get breast cancer (be it in smaller numbers).

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

My mother is a survivor, and there is a lot of Breast cancer on my mother's side of my family. I am, though, a man so my risk is greatly decreased. The main way it effects me and my future (not including my mother) is if I have children.

I clicked the button a couple times.

Cancer! YAY!!! lol!

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Cancer! YAY!!! lol!

o_O

I've collected some yogurt lids and did somethings at LifetimeTV.com. No breast cancer in my family history, but that doesn't mean I don't support research for fighting it – especially if it doesn't cost me anything but some extra effort.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Haha. Sorry to disillusion y'all, but men DO have breasts (be them smaller and uh, non functioning). And yes, they DO also get breast cancer (be it in smaller numbers).
Isn't biology funny? :)
Men will also get testicular cancer in the throat! That's because when you're forming in the womb, apparently your testicles start of in the throat and then travel down… If you're prone to that sort of cancer, you can get it in any of that any tissue, including the stuff that was left behind.

ShinGen
ShinGen
Posted at

I'll be clinking teh big pink button. No history in my family but I figure it's worth a second of my time if I can help a lil'.

horseboy
horseboy
Posted at

Yeah, my mom just shook off stage 4 breast cancer. Yay for Vitamin D and selenium!

Posted at

Alot more people are surviving it now than they was a couple of years ago which shows that technology is getting better

Posted at

That may be so, but I don't have it at the moment.

Also, I don't have breasts because I am hideously deformed

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I've actually got quite a few female readers, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I clicked again for good measure.

bryan
bryan
Posted at

Wow! So nice of ya'll to take an interest… it's for a good cause and incredibly cool of ya'll!

and 0.1% of cthulu

Ahh, I stand corrected. :)

Btw, if it's a new day, you guys can click again and credit is given again! Not to mention from new IP address >.> but that maybe on the obsessive side :P

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Wow! So nice of ya'll to take an interest… it's for a good cause and incredibly cool of ya'll!

and 0.1% of cthulu

Ahh, I stand corrected. :)

Btw, if it's a new day, you guys can click again and credit is given again! Not to mention from new IP address >.> but that maybe on the obsessive side :P

*click*

Posted at

Aieee. Those are slightly depressing statistics. And seeing as my grandmother just recovered from breast cancer….

…*click* *click* *click*

crocty
crocty
Posted at

I bookmarked the page. I don't have to give anything, might aswell.
My Mum got cancer a long time ago, I didn't fully understand it though. I was young…

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Aaand click.

I keep forgetting about it, good thing this thread is here to remind me.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.