Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

Can you?

I don't cook much but I've noticed that I'm not a terrible cook. Well at least I like what I make, and my boyfriend says I'm okay at it. At least he's never turned down my cooking so far. :)

How did you learn to cook? I never helped out with the cooking while growing up, so I didn't learn anything there…. And for several years I lived with a previous boyfriend who loved to cook and was really good at it so I never cooked then either. So really the cooking thing is pretty new for me at 28. But I'm enjoying it now, especially the challenge of trying to get a meal out of barely any groceries.

Looking back I wish my mom and dad had made me help with preparing the meals. I can't remember how they made all my favorites growing up, so no more of the home cooking I remember as a child.

If you can cook, what type of foods do you like to prepare? (Any good recipes? ;) )

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

I have a great recipe for spaggheti, but it's a secret. Also, that is one hard word to spell.

SHUT UP.

Posted at

I can just about manage, but I have a tendency to misjudge the times so I often end up over or under cooking things. And I've prohibited myself from using chip pans, fire bad.

Posted at

Once, was making easy mac macaroni and cheese, but I accidentally put it into the microwave without water… Yeah, when it was done, I opened the microwave to find a huge puff of black smoke… It sucked.

And my answer to you? No. I can't cook.

Posted at

I have the directions to making cold cereal written down, and I read them carefully every morning before i make my bowl of cold cereal.

But it comes out OK, mostly, so I guess i can cook.

But toast? forget about it. too many steps.

Posted at

Id like to think that I'm very good at cooking.
and my parents when they stay over often says that I'm very good at it too, but that might be just because they're my parents.

one of the easiest dishes to do is to take 3 tsp of butter along with a little bit of peaunt oil into a hot pan, let it melt. then take a fresh salmon (or more than one if you're cooking for groups or somebody else), and put them into the large pan so that it starts frying and stuff.
Frying it sounds unhealthy but if you just only stick with the peaunt oil then it can actually be quite healthy. salting the fish along with other spices of your choice (I like a tiny pinch of garlic powder) can make it taste great too….
just let it cook on both sides until it's golden in that white/pink way.

And then I just get one of those stuff where you can mircowave it.. like that bag of corn, along with the mircowaveable rice…

then tada! you got an supper waitin' for you!

Posted at

Once, was making easy mac macaroni and cheese, but I accidentally put it into the microwave without water… Yeah, when it was done, I opened the microwave to find a huge puff of black smoke… It sucked.

that happened to me with my ramen once. made the apartment smell like smoke for a week. -_-;;

Posted at

that happened to me with my ramen once. made the apartment smell like smoke for a week. -_-;;

Ouch. My case wasn't as bad as yours, though. The smoke went away in about an hour.

Chelano
Chelano
Posted at

It is either hit or miss with me. I can cook something amazing ….or I kill it. I have Sicilian blood, so it runs in the fam I guess

Posted at

Hells yes I can. I was a cook for 5 years. I can totally cook.

When I moved into my new apartment I made dinner for all my friends, it was like 12 straight hours of cooking, there were like 5 courses.

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

When my mom went back to work, my dad took up cooking on a regular basis. I think that inspired me to take interest and later on, learn to cook also. Now, I cook on a regular basis and have even taken up the ancient art of grilling, to my great satisfaction (and my family's). Since I'm an indoors computer geek the majority of the time, I have learned it's amazing what you can do with a mid-size Foreman grill and just about any meat…

I also have enjoyed the challenge of experimenting with non-dairy cuisine since becoming lactose intolerant several years ago. I make a mean non-dairy chicken stroganoff! (recipe available upon request, PQ me!)

Delightful topic, one of my close to home faves. Thanks for bringing it up!

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

I can cook pretty well. I've been a vegeterian for 7 years and a vegan for 4, so I had to learn to make a lot of things for myself. Of course, everything I cook is vegan, so I have no idea how to cook a steak. Most cooking isn't too hard, as long as you follow the recepie. I recommend "How it all Vegan" and "Vegan with a Vengance" as good cook books.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I can follow recipes and do most anything necessary. I can feed myself. I have enjoyed cooking entire Thanksgiving dinners. (Roasting poultry and baking cakes are my favorite cooking activities.)

But…

I have started fires on the stove and in the microwave. I have had blenders and can openers activate themselves inches from my face. Our garbage disposal shot a can lid out at me once, barely missing my ear (apparently one of my roommates put the lid in the sink and forgot… same thing with other deadly kitchen ammo…). Oh, and the kitchen cabnets nearly crushed me to death beneath them when they fell from the wall while my roommates were out of town.

In short, my kitchen is trying to kill me. I don't spend much time there if I can avoid it.

Memmy
Memmy
Posted at

I can cook, but sadly my husband can't. I cook variety of things from time to time such as Eggplant Parmesian, Rosemary Chicken, Chinese Chicken Salad, Caulifour soup, Minnestrone, Beer-battered Halibut (yum!), salmons and some fishes, variety of random reicipes that I decided to try out.

One thing I'm superly good at is making Hot Chocolate. :)

Still, microwaveable, canned soups, take-outs and top ramens is god-send for when I'm lazy. (which is very often)

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I'm glad I can cook. Living by myself it's literally a requirement for survival. Ordering takeout or going for fast food every night can be draining on the pocketbook.

Posted at

I love to cook and always cooked because my girlfriend never cooked.

I think I cook well. Everyone always thinks I cook well.

Then she cooks yesterday. And its good. GOOOOOOOD. And I'm very much…WTF?!?!?!!?

All this time I've been cooking and I've been missing out on HER cooking???

I was mad! And told her all she gets from now on is frozen pizza….

Posted at

I think we've all had those crazy microwave accidents sometimes. Or even the non microwave accidents. Sometimes I'll start something, then get engrossed in something else and lose track of time…. That's usually a disaster. :D

You're right dueeast, those little grills are handy. I'll have to pm you too, chicken stroganoff sounds awesome.

A couple other gadgets I've gotten recently that I use a lot are a waffle iron (god bless waffles), a pasta maker (kinda a huge process but fresh pasta is awesome), and my absolute favorite, a quesadilla maker. That thing is awesome. Tortillas, cheese, some chicken or steak, three minutes later, pure joy. Or mix it up and add cheese, pepperoni, some black olives…. or for dessert some apple pie filling…

Yeah I love that thing.

I know the feeling too, Memmy. Easy stuff is still great for lazy days. And since my bf also can't or doesn't cook, I don't feel like cooking every day. He means well, and he cooks a mean ramen, makes a great turkey sandwich, and can handle himself at the quesadilla maker, but so far that's about it. :)

Lonnehart - Agreed there as well. I'm beginning to appreciate cooking in all the more because I'm so dirt poor at the moment. So I make breakfast, pack a lunch and cook dinner for myself. Trying to limit eating out (even fast food) to once a month if I can afford it then. Though thankfully Taco Bell is so cheap. Not great for being on a diet though.

Posted at

I love to cook and always cooked because my girlfriend never cooked.

I think I cook well. Everyone always thinks I cook well.

Then she cooks yesterday. And its good. GOOOOOOOD. And I'm very much…WTF?!?!?!!?

All this time I've been cooking and I've been missing out on HER cooking???

I was mad! And told her all she gets from now on is frozen pizza….

Hahaha!

Maybe since her cooking got such a good reaction she'll be willing to cook more often.

Anytime someone compliments my cooking, I'm eager to cook again. :)
I've found too that I used to tell everyone I couldn't cook at all, but in reality I just didn't cook a lot. But I still had one or two recipes that I did pretty good.

Posted at

My cooking talents extend to TV Dinners and Scrambled Eggs.

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

I'm pretty good, as I am the one who cooks the most at my house.

As for Salmon, like Aurora Moon said, I like to broil them with a teriyaki marinade with pineapple juice and slices of pineapple. It is to die for and smells great!

When I sear fish, like you said, I tend to use Olive oil instead. It tastes so much better and is still about as good for you.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I'm a good cook.

I specialize in cooking hamburgers and using the microwave.

Posted at

I didn't help my Mom with cooking very much growing up. Mainly because she worked the whole time and when she did cook she didn't have the time to have a kid helping her.

I did get to help my Grandma when I visited her and I always enjoyed it.

I really started cooking when I moved to South Korea to teach English for two years. If I wanted to eat something from home, I had to make it myself. Beacause my roommate was vegetarian, I didn't cook much meat and now even though I'm not a vegetarian, I tend to cook mostly withou meat. I do make chicken dishes at home occasionaly.

My favorite cookbook is the "Moosewood LowFat Cookbook." I make stuff from it almost every week.

Some of the things I make a lot are:

Potato and Spinach Soup
Harira(an african soup with carrots, celery, chickpeas, potatoes, cinamon, cayanne, ginger, and tumeric)
Giambatta(Itallian Rattouiie)
Thai Fried Rice

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.